SRV Sig Strat vs Squier Bullet - Shootout - lets do this

wagdog

• Members
Which GFS bridge did you put on the Squier? Thanks.

This one:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html

It's a drop in replacement for the squier bullet. Well, it was on my white one (the one I played here). It does stick out the back a hair, so you can't put the trem cover back on (I never do anyway). On my black one, I had to "route" a bit on the high E end of the guitar to make it fit. I say "route" 'cause I used a big drill bit to do it. :facepalm:

I believe the heavy tremolo block really makes a big difference in the sustain and feel of the squier. I can't say for certain 'cause I did most of these upgrades in one shot. The trem block is really solid and heavy.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AND, Wag, does the GFS trem block stick out of the back ? I had read a few posts that mentioned because of the thinner body, the trem block would stick out past back of the body.

Yeah, it does stick out a bit due to the thinner body. However I have also read posts where people say it doesn't. So I'm guessing there is some variation in the thickness of the squier bullet bodies. It doesn't stick out much, but just enough that the trem cover couldn't go back on.

• Members

To me, the biggest determinants of electric guitar sound are the amp, pickups, and picking technique. I never really hear things like certain types of wood as have a huge impact on tone - it's not an acoustic instrument!

• Members

To me, the biggest determinants of electric guitar sound are the amp, pickups, and picking technique. I never really hear things like certain types of wood as have a huge impact on tone - it's not an acoustic instrument!

My feeling is everything about the guitar, from the player, the pick, the guitar itself, electronics, etc... has a chance to influence the tone in its own special way. As what percent each one of those determinants actually has on the overall tone is something that is and will always be open for debate.

• Members

Just wanted to let y'all know, that due to its excellent showing in this poll, I took the squier bullet out to last nights gig and played it for the entire 4'th set.

Although the cover band police were outside circling, they did not cite me for playing a cheap guitar. :thu:

• Members
Just wanted to let y'all know, that due to its excellent showing in this poll, I took the squier bullet out to last nights gig and played it for the entire 4'th set.

Although the cover band police were outside circling, they did not cite me for playing a cheap guitar.
:thu:

Awesome.:lol: With your playing you could probably play a walmart first act and they wouldn't hassle you.

• Members
Awesome.
:lol:
With your playing you could probably play a walmart first act and they wouldn't hassle you.

lol - I was actually eying those at walmart the other day... just too much of a POS though. Even us squier players have to look down on something. :lol:

• Members

Although the cover band police were outside circling, they did not cite me for playing a cheap guitar.
:thu:

Oh man! Glad you didn't get caught. That's a pretty hefty fine. :cop:

• Members
My feeling is everything about the guitar, from the player, the pick, the guitar itself, electronics, etc... has a chance to influence the tone in its own special way. As what percent each one of those determinants actually has on the overall tone is something that is and will always be open for debate.

Agreed. I just think that wood is a low, low percentage. :)

• Members
lol - I was actually eying those at walmart the other day... just too much of a POS though. Even us squier players have to look down on something.
:lol:

My first guitar was a Wal-Mart guitar. I still play it, actually. After it was set up properly, it played really well - great, smooth neck.

• Members
My first guitar was a Wal-Mart guitar. I still play it, actually. After it was set up properly, it played really well - great, smooth neck.

:) My first was a sears silvertone on loan from my stedad. I'm pretty sure he still has it.

There was a thread here last year about some $30 that radio shack had on sale that actually played ok... I'm pretty sure Frets99 bought one!

• Members
OK y'all, here we go...

First of all, at the time of this post, the poll results are:

Guitar 1: Bullet Strat - Guitar 2: SRV Strat ------ 70 - 67.96%

Guitar 1: SRV Strat - Guitar 2: Bullet Strat ------ 33 - 32.04%

Overwhelmingly in the option 1 - "#1 Bullet, #2 SRV"'s favor.

The true identities....

#1 is the SRV

#2 is the Bullet

There it is!

Pretty crazy. As I listen to the audio, I can hear the little nuances that tell me the SRV is being played. They are very discrete, harmonics on a slide, or a difference in how it responds to pick attack - things that probably only the person playing the guitar would notice.

elsupermanny14 noticed that the squier dirties up faster, and it does. The SRV dirties up, but seems to have more tonal range between clean and dirty. I'm also impressed with how Doctor Morbius was able to pick things out quickly by using a good set of speakers - he seemed pretty confident and that made me feel good 'cause he obviously listens to a lot of strats!

Thanks again to everyone for playing along. I really do appreciate it, it was a lot of fun. Have a happy, SAFE and healthy new year!

I knew it!!! I figured #1 was the SRV, and #2 was the Bullet. My reasoning was different. #1 sounded punchier,and had more highs and note definition to it. #2 was little bit muddier, to me, and didn't have as much high end sparkle to it. Not all tone comes from the pickups. I figured that you'd put decent pickups into the Bullet. So, that left the body material, and hardware as being the main culprits for the slightly lower note definition in #2, which meant cheaper materials, and hence the Bullet. Still, your Bullet is a decent sounding guitar. :thu:

• Members

OK y'all, here we go...

First of all, at the time of this post, the poll results are:

Guitar 1: Bullet Strat - Guitar 2: SRV Strat ------ 70 - 67.96%

Guitar 1: SRV Strat - Guitar 2: Bullet Strat ------ 33 - 32.04%

Overwhelmingly in the option 1 - "#1 Bullet, #2 SRV"'s favor.

The true identities....

#1 is the SRV

#2 is the Bullet

There it is!

Pretty crazy. As I listen to the audio, I can hear the little nuances that tell me the SRV is being played. They are very discrete, harmonics on a slide, or a difference in how it responds to pick attack - things that probably only the person playing the guitar would notice.

elsupermanny14 noticed that the squier dirties up faster, and it does. The SRV dirties up, but seems to have more tonal range between clean and dirty. I'm also impressed with how Doctor Morbius was able to pick things out quickly by using a good set of speakers - he seemed pretty confident and that made me feel good 'cause he obviously listens to a lot of strats!

Thanks again to everyone for playing along. I really do appreciate it, it was a lot of fun. Have a happy, SAFE and healthy new year!

Yeah, I definitely liked the sound of the second better and thought it was the SRV for sure. I guess it is a good idea to play a bunch of guitars on the same amp and choose that way without giving in to brand name or affiliation.

• Members

Did you use the same gauge strings on both guitars? When you played the Lenny clips, the Texas Specials had a much warmer and booming loud end than the GFS, almost like you had a much thicker low E when you played the open E string.

Both guitars had identical d'addario 10-46's, tuned down a 1/2 step. Those are the only strings I use nowadays.

I would agree with you about ts's, they are bigger and rounder sounding. They also have more tonal range and respond to vol/tone adjustments across the range of the controls.

Also, after listening again to these clips, I don't think they did the srv justice as I think it's a better sounding guitar. But the clips don't lie, they are what they are, and listening after the fact does in fact show me, the owner and player of both guitars, that when recorded, they sound pretty darn close. I think the GFS Greybottom overwounds are excellent Strat pickups. They certainly bring that squier bullet to life, that's for sure.

• Members

I'm thinking about upgrading the pups on my Highway 1 (preupgrade model hwy1s have pretty {censored}ty stock pups) and I've been looking for a nice fat thick sound like the TS's.. you think they are worth the extra $$ over the GFS?

I do think they are worth the extra money, but that's really up to you. I wasn't going to spend $180, or whatever TS's cost now for my bullet strat (that would be more then twice the cost of the original $85 guitar!), but I probably would spend the money on a hwy 1. I will say that I ran the overwound greybottoms in my '74 strat for a while and they sounded damn good there. I eventually got some bg-pups.com v60's for the '74 and they are staying in that guitar.

It's really tough to choose a pickup if you haven't actually used that one. Sound clips give you a rough idea, but you never really know until you have that pickup in your guitar going through your amp.

• Members

IMO, a good set of pickups are worth it. I suggest keeping the original pickups somewhere so in case you ever decide to sell the guitar you can put them back in.

Doc makes a good point, two of them actually.

I think this comparison showed that inexpensive gear can sound good, and even compete with high end gear. That said, high end gear is still WELL worth it in my book. Trust me, I ain't selling my srv, '74 strat and les paul custom and playing squiers exclusively. I do enjoy modding cheap guitars into something that sounds and plays good though.

His other point, of keeping the original parts of your guitar is one I wish I would have heeded way back when I modded my '81 les paul custom when I was a kid. I don't have the original pickups, and I wish I did.

• Members

Doc makes a good point, two of them actually.

I think this comparison showed that inexpensive gear can sound good, and even compete with high end gear. That said, high end gear is still WELL worth it in my book. Trust me, I ain't selling my srv, '74 strat and les paul custom and playing squiers exclusively. I do enjoy modding cheap guitars into something that sounds and plays good though.

His other point, of keeping the original parts of your guitar is one I wish I would have heeded way back when I modded my '81 les paul custom when I was a kid. I don't have the original pickups, and I wish I did.

Hmm what do you think about the vintage not-overwound set of greybottoms? Though it says they are vintage they are wound 5.8-6.5K which is kinda slightly overwound like the Texas specials. Well I might need to get a loaded pickguard either way because I have no soldering skills whatsoever so that might have to factor into the cost...

Loaded GFS pickguard runs for about $140

Loaded BG pups guard is about $190 probably with his discount

Loaded TS guard on ebay is probably like $200

Unless I learned how to solder but I don't really have the time or the money to start soldering, especially at college

• Members

Hmm what do you think about the vintage not-overwound set of greybottoms? Though it says they are vintage they are wound 5.8-6.5K which is kinda slightly overwound like the Texas specials. Well I might need to get a loaded pickguard either way because I have no soldering skills whatsoever so that might have to factor into the cost...

Loaded GFS pickguard runs for about $140

Loaded BG pups guard is about $190 probably with his discount

Loaded TS guard on ebay is probably like $200

Unless I learned how to solder but I don't really have the time or the money to start soldering, especially at college

I had a set of these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/stvialstpise.html

and I really liked them. Come to think of it, I still do have them in a box somewhere.

Even with a preloaded pickguard you are going to have to solder the output lead into place. Soldering in a set of pickups is scary the first time, but it's not that hard - I bet you could learn how to do it.

• Members

Hmm well how much would a soldering iron cost me? I have a 25W? radio shack iron but im not sure if that's gonna make a good connection... how much do I need to spend to get the supplies to put in a set of pups? and I'm not sure what to practice on.. don't wanna ruin electronics in the guitar

• Members

Hmm well how much would a soldering iron cost me? I have a 25W? radio shack iron but im not sure if that's gonna make a good connection... how much do I need to spend to get the supplies to put in a set of pups? and I'm not sure what to practice on.. don't wanna ruin electronics in the guitar

For putting in pickups, that iron would probably work fine. It may take longer to heat up the ground connections on the back of your volume pot, but it will work. You need the iron, some solder and probably some desoldering braid (radio shack sells it) to remove excess solder. Some tweezers and wire snippers would be good tools to have as well.

Practice on some wires first. Google "soldering tutorial" there are plenty online.

Let the iron heat up, don't rush things. Clean the tip with a wet paper towel, then tin the tip with a little solder, then clean it again.

Strats are pretty simple as far as a straight pickup replacement gots: the gfs pickups will have a "hot" wire and a ground. Remove one pickup and note where the hot wire goes on the 5-way (draw it out on paper if you like). The ground will go to the back of your volume pot (most likely). Replace that pickup, soldering the new one in where the old one came from. Repeat for the other two pickups. That's about it.

Archived