SRV Sig Strat vs Squier Bullet - Shootout - lets do this

wagdog

• Members
neither sound like ass. im sure even the stock bullet doesnt sound like ass. i only prefer the first because of the breakup. its not "better" in some quantifiable way though.

You know I wasn't directing that at you, right? I hadn't ready ANY responses when I posted that first one. :wave:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You know I wasn't directing that at you, right? I hadn't ready ANY responses when I posted that first one.
:wave:

:mad:

:p

i know, its just a general comment. alot of people here tend to equate personal taste with good/crap. as in, if i dont like it, its therefore low quality and crap.

this test kinda shows the "truth". the player makes it sound good, and while theres certainly are noticable differences between the 2, thats all they are... different.

• Members

I've done similar A/B tests with my upgraded Squiers vs Am Dlx Strats - the Squiers certainly take more work getting them set up right, but you can get them to sound just as good if not better with upgraded pickups. (that said, the same pickups in the Am Dlx would sound just as good)

The quality in the Am Dlx (or in your case, the SRV) isn't so much in the sound as it is the whole package. But you've proven my philosophy about buying cheaper good playing guitars and upgrading them as needed vs spending a lot for an expensive instrument.

Wow! Comments are all over the board, as well they should be. I thought the playing was smoother on #1 to which I was attributing the ease of playing the SRV, which is a personal favorite guitar for me. That being opposed to my feeling that a $100 Bullet couldn't possibly have as nice a feel to it as the SRV does. The tone and response sounded so close that I couldn't make out if the differences I could hear were attributable to either guitar. They both sounded terrific. Honestly, I don't think I'd figure it out in a live test either unless both guitars were well isolated from any other music... And then, I'd like to believe I could.

There's no reason not to own an SRV strat if you can. They do feel marvelous and sound beautiful. However, I do own an MIJ strat with arguably the best strat neck I've ever played as well as a nice build and I paid $200 for that used. If someone can get a Bullet to sound that good, then it begs the question. Can someone find a nicely built strat from whatever origins, inexpensively and add mods that could make it practically an SRV equal for say $500 to $700 total? Probably. It won't have the resale value or the cache but it will probably kick all kinds of ass.

Excellent clips Wagdog!!

• Members

I've uploaded two more clips of srv type stuff that was suggested on the first page:

Guitar 1 SRV stuff: http://wagner-usa.net/guitar1_srvstuff.mp3

Guitar 2 SRV stuff: http://wagner-usa.net/guitar2_srvstuff.mp3

As mentioned before, I like the SRV a lot more for obvious reasons, but damn if both these ax's don't sound similar.

Identities to be released TOMORROW!

• Members

My #1 Strat is a SRV but I have a couple Squiers that without a doubt are VERY GOOD Strats. A Classic Vibe and a Vintage Modified.

With a couple hundred bucks you could without a doubt get a Squier, to be in Fender production line territory. Especially if you get out and pick a well put together Squier to begin with.

My Classic Vibe 60 which has been posted several times here, it easily is in the same league as my SRV. BUT............The ONLY thing Squier is the Body now and that is rare in that its a Highly figured 2-piece Alder bdy when most are three.

But I dropped a 60 neck, a Steel Trem, all new electronics and pick-ups, Bone Nut, Split Top Fender Nickle TMs, I KEPT the body and the Pick-Guard which is Tort-Shell 3-ply and well shielded.

When you do that kind of work to a Squier Strat they have potential.

But the body/neck on a SRV are very nice. The bodys are correctly vintage routed [aside from a left hand trem] Center Seamed and highly figured? Nice body, and a 60 FAT Oval shape Slab Board neck with Pao Ferro on the fret-board? DAMN NICE.

Many have issues with the TS pups by Fender CS. They are not for everyone. I like them. But a pick-up change is not a bg deal?

• Members

Well, I still think that the first set of clips, the first guitar has better tone but your playing is more fluid and confident on the second guitar.

On this second round of clips, I hear less of a difference in the tone, but your playing makes me feel that #2 is the superior guitar.

• Members

My #1 Strat is a SRV but I have a couple Squiers that without a doubt are VERY GOOD Strats. A Classic Vibe and a Vintage Modified.

Just put a classic vibe 60's on layaway yesterday, very psyched about it. I thought the neck was pretty much just like the srv, only thinner. Loved the finish on it, fantastic! The one I'm getting is a 3 piece though. I liked the stock pups, but time will tell. For $300 it is easily the nicest strat I've bought. There is no way I would choose a MiM Strat over one of these.

When you do that kind of work to a Squier Strat they have potential.

So true. What amazes me about the bullets is how nice the necks can be made to play. They aren't AMAZING necks, but the fretwork is clean and after refinishing, a new nut and a set of vintage style tuners, well, you have a real nice neck to work with!

FWIW, these are the gfs pups in the neck and middle position on the bullet:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/64stovgrropi.html

The bridge has an old dimarzio paf I had laying around - sounds awesome, especially cranked up with some dirt on it.

Many have issues with the TS pups by Fender CS. They are not for everyone. I like them. But a pick-up change is not a bg deal?

I really like TS pups in the srv, but they did take some getting used to. You have to work the volume and tone knobs to get them to behave. There is a LOT of tone in there. You can't just crank 'em to 10 and go for it.

Archived