SRV Sig Strat vs Squier Bullet - Shootout - lets do this

wagdog

• Members

EDIT 12/31/2008: IDENTITIES REVEALED ON PAGE 4 of this thread along with the poll results at the time of this posting. If you still want to vote, go ahead, but don't peak before you do!

One guitar is a Squier Bullet HSS, modded with GFS trem, GFS Overwound greybottoms and other stuff (refinished neck, tuners, etc...). This guitar stock costs $99 and I've probably got $150 into it.

One guitar is a Fender SRV Signature Strat stock (sort of, treble bleed and bridge hooked to tone control). This guitar now sells for just shy of $1600 - I didn't pay that much for it.

Since the Bullet is an HSS and that would give it away, both clips only feature the neck, neck/middle and middle pickup. The clips are small, about a minute each more or less.

I tried to play similar stuff on each clip. That amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe drive channel, not real dirty.

Here are the clips:

Guitar 1: http://wagner-usa.net/guitar1.mp3

Guitar 2: http://wagner-usa.net/guitar2.mp3

Take the poll and lets see what happens. I'll release the identities in a couple of days.

EDIT:

I'm adding two clips of "srv type stuff" as suggested below.

Guitar 1 SRV stuff: http://wagner-usa.net/guitar1_srvstuff.mp3

Guitar 2 SRV stuff: http://wagner-usa.net/guitar2_srvstuff.mp3

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In the first clip, the guitar sounds punchier, maybe more bottom end, but sounds slightly dull, and has less charachter to my ears.

The second clip has a spongier and more singing sound.

The out of phase positions sound more convincing also.

I think Clip #2 is the SRV

Anyone who owns an R8 or R9 and an Epi should do a similar compasrison.

• Members

you should play an srv song with both

Funny you mention that. I did that, but forgot to say what guitar I was playing on the recording. By the time I downloaded the audio to my PC and starting slicing and dicing the recording I'd forgotten which ax I played first... and I couldn't figure it out by listening to it!

I'll record some SRV type stuff tomorrow and post it.

BTW; I'm using a Zoom H2 to record with, if that helps anyone?

• Members

Wow, OK, nice chops!! a bit of jazz feeling there. I thought clip one was more rounded out, and clip two sounded scooped. Hell, I would expect clip one was the SRV, but I have never played one. I have this feeling it is clip two on the SRV. I'm probably way wrong, but WTF!

Ok, listened again, the breakup sez #2! I'm voting on it. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong.:D

• Members

Cool clips - I liked the sound of #1 better, but I've got no idea which is which - they both sound really nice.

In my opinion, though, the feel of the guitar is worth just as much as the tone. You can put a great set of pickups in a cheap guitar and it will sound great, but the feel doesn't change. That said, I've played some really awesome feeling guitars that were cheap, and a few of them squier's.

:thu:

• Members

In my opinion, though, the feel of the guitar is worth just as much as the tone. You can put a great set of pickups in a cheap guitar and it will sound great, but the feel doesn't change. That said, I've played some really awesome feeling guitars that were cheap, and a few of them squier's.

:thu:

You are so very right.

I will tell you unequivocally that I like playing the SRV 1000 times more then the squier. The squier plays ok, but the srv is like silk, it's effortless. It doesn't come through on this clip, but I feel free to experiment with it, go off into uncharted territory and it will always feel like home. With the bullet I feel like I'm really trying to play it. The neck and fretwork on the bullet is decent (I refinished the neck), but it's not even close to a USA made fender neck.

FWIW, I just put a Squier Classic Vibe 60 on layaway today. For obvious reasons, it's very much like the srv but with a thinner neck. It just felt great to play and the stock pickups are very nice.

SaSa: As I mentioned above, the SRV feels much nicer, more solid, like silk compared to cotton. The bullet is still a nice ax and an amazing bargain.

• Members

I replied before I read any other posts but from the first 5 seconds of each, they sound damn near identical to my ears. Maybe I think Guitar1 sounds slightly more woody, I find it impossible to believe that any one would think one sounds outstanding while the other one sounds like ass.

:idk:

• Members

I replied before I read any other posts but from the first 5 seconds of each, they sound damn near identical to my ears. Maybe I think Guitar1 sounds slightly more woody, I find it impossible to believe that any one would think one sounds outstanding while the other one sounds like ass.

:idk:

neither sound like ass. im sure even the stock bullet doesnt sound like ass. i only prefer the first because of the breakup. its not "better" in some quantifiable way though.

• Members

I agree with the feeling/inspiration thing wholeheartedly. Never played an SRV strat, but I absolutely LOVE the Eric Johnson strat, mostly because of the neck.

For pre feel, I don't think I've ever played an American strat with a satin neck that I liked as much as my MIJ strat... or my Samick Valley Arts Series strat.

To update my vote, I still think Guitar1 sounds a bit fuller but your playing seems slightly smoother, more fluid and more... I don't know... 'in command' on Guitar2.

You're not really going to make us wait 2 days, are you? :poke:

• Members

It is close. I listened a few times through some Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. I think the SRV is #2. It's got a little more punch in the bass, a bit less "flat" sounding. The in-between position on #1 sounds a bit more bland by comparison.

Additionally, it seemed like you were "feeling it" a bit more on #2 which could be the cause of the better sound or perhaps the SRV inspires you to play better.

Of course I could be completely wrong and will eat my words. Because I'm one of those corksniffers who doesn't understand why people keep buying those Agiles and Squiers. Audio clips are hard and it is possible to dial in guitars pretty similarly. I'm pretty sure I could set up some clips (maybe I will in the next couple days) of my G&L and a modded Squier I have and the Squier might not be too far off. But I really really prefer playing the G&L. In person, in the room, playing the guitar and feeling/hearing the sound right there it is much more obvious.

Nice playing too.

Archived