SRV Sig Strat vs Squier Bullet - Shootout - lets do this

wagdog

• Members

Yeah, I just discovered this thread myself. I picked the wrong one! :-)
Guess I can go back to playing my squier classic vibe 50's. Although I would love to own a SRV sig even though my ability doesn't warrant it...

wagdog, did you ever get a classic vibe? I noticed you mention thinking of getting one, what happened?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

According to the second set of clips, I'm going to have to say that the 2nd is the SRV.

EDIT: Well, I see now that this is long over and I was wrong. I still like the second guitar better in the second set of clips. Then again, I've never been impressed with the few SRV strats I've played. My '62 AVRI Hot Rod beats that Squier though.

• Members

wagdog, did you ever get a classic vibe? I noticed you mention thinking of getting one, what happened?

I did get a CV 50's. I like it a lot.

In fact, the cv 50 has the greybottom overwounds in it that were used for this test way back when!

• Members

No single coil sounds better than a Texas Special IMO.

This. The TS's have a WIDE range of tone and are very responsive to vol/tone on the guitar and EQ on the amp, in addition to how you run your pre-amp on your amp. I've found that I can get amazing strat tones from the SRV when playing live.

This is a clip I did for a sticky jam here with the SRV:

http://wagner-usa.net/wagstratofunk_mixdown01.mp3

(bt by metalheadUK)

• Members

OK y'all, here we go...

First of all, at the time of this post, the poll results are:

Guitar 1: Bullet Strat - Guitar 2: SRV Strat ------ 70 - 67.96%

Guitar 1: SRV Strat - Guitar 2: Bullet Strat ------ 33 - 32.04%

Overwhelmingly in the option 1 - "#1 Bullet, #2 SRV"'s favor.

The true identities....

#1 is the SRV

#2 is the Bullet

There it is!

Pretty crazy. As I listen to the audio, I can hear the little nuances that tell me the SRV is being played. They are very discrete, harmonics on a slide, or a difference in how it responds to pick attack - things that probably only the person playing the guitar would notice.

elsupermanny14 noticed that the squier dirties up faster, and it does. The SRV dirties up, but seems to have more tonal range between clean and dirty. I'm also impressed with how Doctor Morbius was able to pick things out quickly by using a good set of speakers - he seemed pretty confident and that made me feel good 'cause he obviously listens to a lot of strats!

Thanks again to everyone for playing along. I really do appreciate it, it was a lot of fun. Have a happy, SAFE and healthy new year!

Woot, I was right. BTW, I switched out the Texas Specials in my SRV for Fralins. It is now the perfect Strat.

• Members

I think what this shows is that you can make a low end guitar SOUND pretty good. However, the SRV, IMO, is more then it's sound, it's the way it feels. The bullet used in this test plays ok, but the SRV plays like a dream. I feel it helps me play better. I've been gigging w/the srv for well over a year now and I just don't feel right without it.

Well, I'm sure you're right about that. Feel is something you can't convey in a recording. You have to get your hands on the axe.

If I were a professional guitar-slinger, I probably would look into buying a Fender. When you're a professional, you need the best equipment. Same goes for photography and video equipment. But if you're just playing at home or the local bars, I think a well-set-up Squire with a few mods will do quite well.

• Members
Well, I'm sure you're right about that. Feel is something you can't convey in a recording. You have to get your hands on the axe.

If I were a professional guitar-slinger, I probably would look into buying a Fender. When you're a professional, you need the best equipment. Same goes for photography and video equipment. But if you're just playing at home or the local bars, I think a well-set-up Squire with a few mods will do quite well.

I feel the same way too. That's why I don't spend too much money on guitars (besides the fact that I'm a stingy individual).

• Members

I feel the same way too. That's why I don't spend too much money on guitars (besides the fact that I'm a stingy individual).

I wouldn't say I'm stingy, but I just want a lot of bang for my buck, and I'm not a label-whore. I don't need $200 blue jeans, a BMW or an American-made Strat. Sure, I'd like those things, but I'm very happy with my Levis, my Squiers, and the NYC subways and taxis.

But...I sometimes think I've been a little thick-headed about this. Because you can buy a $1200 Fender, play it for many years, and then turn around and sell it for almost you what you paid for it...as long as you take care of it. Sometimes you can sell it for a lot more than you paid.

My brother still has his 1975 Telecaster, which I think goes for around $3000-4000 these days. So if he sold it, he'd make a profit, and he got to play if for free for 35 years!

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Yea, yea, i know this is an old thread (i might even have participated in it lol).

But I was looking for a good demo of the greybottoms and this came to mind.

Thanks Wagdog, you just saved me $100 on pickups for my Squier! :thu:

I'd love a set of TS, but i'm not going to waste that kind of money on a junker

Archived