SRV Sig Strat vs Squier Bullet - Shootout - lets do this

wagdog

• Members
Based on the parts list that you mentioned, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the biggest contributers to "great sound" where obviously the pickups, but then the full size block bridge, and the nut. What's your take on the best contributers to sound wagdog?

I would say the pickups and the bridge/trem block for sure, maybe the nut. I also changed the string trees, forgot to mention that. :) I've heard people talk about the tone of particular woods, and they are right, different woods do have different tones and contribute to the overall sound in different ways, but my experience is that pickups, amp and speaker (which I don't diddle much with) probably have a MUCH larger impact on the overall sound.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that you also did Jay a huge favor with this little comparison. You definitely helped prove that GFS pickups are legit! After all, most people thought they were the SRV pickups! So yeah I think that Jay should compensate you lol, maybe give a free guitar or something...:poke: Could be worth a tr? haha.

I'm amazed at the tone of those GFS pups; pretty impressive!

So yeah I think that Jay should compensate you lol, maybe give a free guitar or something...:poke: Could be worth a tr? haha.

Get in line... :D

Hey, I love the SRV strats I've played. The sweet complexity of the tone from that guitar is mesmerizing, especially when you're playing one. That the GFS pickups sound so good, they could make a bullet compete with an SRV strat for tone is a heady accomplishment.

I haven't heard Texas Specials on another guitar. Do they sound as great on other strats?

• Members
Get in line...
:D

Hey, I love the SRV strats I've played. The sweet complexity of the tone from that guitar is mesmerizing, especially when you're playing one. That the GFS pickups sound so good, they could make a bullet compete with an SRV strat for tone is a heady accomplishment.

I haven't heard Texas Specials on another guitar. Do they sound as great on other strats?

That's what I want to know too! How would the TS sound in the Bullet?

• Members
I still would love to hear a similar test between an Epiphone Les Paul and a USA Gibson Les Paul, the higher end the better.

:rawk:

Go the full 9, test a gibson LP against an agile or an xaviere with upgraded pickups. I would love to hear that if anyone has the time and both of those guitars for the test.

• Members
Go the full 9, test a gibson LP against an agile or an xaviere with upgraded pickups. I would love to hear that if anyone has the time and both of those guitars for the test.

Well, I have the LP (custom actually), but neither an agile or xaviere in the LP style (I have an xv600 w/p90's that I like very much though).

Quick, someone send me an agile or xaviere! :idea:

• Members

For a while I thought I should just chuck away all my SD and Fender pups and go with GFS, as I suck as a player...

But it turns out it I was right in identifying the guitars!

Close one, though. I thought the "grittier, edgier" (Guitar 2) one would probably be Texas Specials, but they aren't just clear and articulate, or "Fenderish" enough for me. Guitar 1 sounded exactly like my 57/62's, however.

Would be interested in the shootout between TS, Fat 50's, or any other Fender pups next.

Last but not least, wish I could play like you wagdog.

• Members
I still would love to hear a similar test between an Epiphone Les Paul and a USA Gibson Les Paul, the higher end the better.

:rawk:

nah just an Epi Standard vs a Gibson Standard..pre 2008 of course as they went chambered then and would be not a fair comparison.

• Members

Which GFS bridge did you put on the Squier? Thanks.

AND, Wag, does the GFS trem block stick out of the back ? I had read a few posts that mentioned because of the thinner body, the trem block would stick out past back of the body.

• Members

IIRC, he put an old DiMarzio humbucker in the bridge. The bridge position wasn't recorded in this shootout either, because it would've been too obvious which was which.

I think mc5 was asking about the bridge/trem, not the bridge position pickup.

Archived