SRV Sig Strat vs Squier Bullet - Shootout - lets do this

wagdog

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All;

I'm going to give out the identities tomorrow, but before I do that I want to say thanks to everyone for participating. It's pretty gutsy in my book to make a call like this, especially in public. I mean one guitar is a bargain basement special and one is middle-to-high-end fender!

I've definitely enjoyed reading the comments here.

• Members

Looking forward to the results.

What the results are going to mean to me:

If I'm correct, I will eventually have to consider moving up in quality of gear. Translation: becomes more expensive.

If I'm wrong, I have a tin ear and just about anything will do. Translation: can remain a cheap skate.

This would be my outlook if I didn't default to the latter.

• Members

#2 sounded more like SRV's tone, so I'll go with that.

I'm a big fan of budget guitars that play well. Bought my first guitar at Walmart, and I still play it - fantastic neck. I've been thinking of getting a cheap Squier or Epiphone to use for playing around with pickups.

• Members

I've been thinking of getting a cheap Squier or Epiphone to use for playing around with pickups.

Go for a squier bullet, $100 is the street price. I got this one that I'm playing in these clips for $85 during a music123 sale (I think they always have a sale). My second one was $93 at a GC. I would imagine they've gone cheaper. The $93 one has a great flame maple on the neck. Once I refinished it, it looked great.

I like the bullets because, well, they're ridiculously cheap and have no resale value. Translation: you can't really make it worth any less. The stock hardware is OK. This particular one I attempted to do a relic job on the body and it came out like crap. I don't care though, 'cause it's basically worthless anyway.

Sounds good though, plays decent, what the heck.

• Members

I'm pretty sure a bullet has a resale value better than my cheapass Silvertone. That said, I don't want to mod my Silvertone because it plays incredibly well for something so cheap. Is this unusual? Did I get an outlier? When I plug this thing into a good amp, it sounds like a real Strat.

Maybe I'll troll the local music stores for a bullet in the next little while.

• Members

I'm pretty sure a bullet has a resale value better than my cheapass Silvertone. That said, I don't want to mod my Silvertone because it plays incredibly well for something so cheap. Is this unusual? Did I get an outlier? When I plug this thing into a good amp, it sounds like a real Strat.

Maybe I'll troll the local music stores for a bullet in the next little while.

My first electric was a borrowed silvertone, black and white, lipstick pickup. Decent guitar, fond memories of it.

• Members

I love these kind of threads!

I voted #1-Bullet, #2-SRV.

Whichever is really which doesn't matter though. This kind of test proves that a big price difference does not necessarily equal a big difference in tone. That Bullet would sound as good as nearly any Strat on a recording and no one would be any the wiser.

I did a similar thread a few years ago with a very modded Epi LP Custom and a new Gibson LP Studio. A lot of guys here thought the Epi sounded better.

Archived