tinnitus is killing me. don't know how much longer I can take it.

mfergel

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I play in one of the loudest bands on the planet (or at least in DFW) and have been in super loud bands for the better part of 27 years. I don't have it thankfully, I have suffered some hearing loss but not to bad.

I think some people are more prone to getting it.

I'd be careful.

• Members

I had my hearing test a few weeks ago. Didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. I have a huge dip in the upper 3-5k range, which was at the end of the human voice range, which is probably part of the reason I have problems understanding people sometimes. They want to test me in another 6 months but I've had this for years, 6 months aint going to make it go away.

• Members

Thais all sounds like a nasty torture to me. Hell & I thought the voices in my head were bad...

This may help someone as a customizable white noise generator. http://www.soundsleeping.com

I have been very fortunate so far. Had Kid Rock give me a ringing that lasted for days once but I recovered. I have always been a freak about letting warm water into my ear canal on every shower and once in a while maybe 3-4 times a year I take a cap-full of warm peroxide soak in my ear for 4 min & then rinse and drain with warm water. Seems to help from getting too big of a wax build up and I think it kills bacteria too.. Also I find it can help knock out swollen glands and sore throats at times.

• Members

I've had it really bad for about 8 years now. It's like being in a room with a tea kettle whistling 24 hours a day and never stops. I've had times when I thought I would totally loose it, but overall, I've somehow managed to accept it and not fall into depression and self pity. But at times when I do feel myself spiraling down emotionally, I find it helpful to try to focus on all the good things I have in my life and be thankful for that. It doesn't make the Tinnitus any better but it can sometimes help me keep my head above water emotionally. I work full time in music production, so it's definitely a huge handicap. Although a lot of the time I'm not aware of it, and it's true that you do get used to it (to some degree). I find that the less I think about it and focus on it, the better it is for me, which is one reason I never wanted to join a support group and talk about it a lot. But I wish you, and all the other Tinnitus sufferers all the best in dealing with it.

And one more thing - for those that don't have it. I never had any problems with my hearing till I went to a loud concert 8 years ago and left with my ears ringing. From that night on, it's never stopped. So please be aware that you can destroy your hearing forever with only one exposure to high decibel sound. Think about whether it's worth it.

Your good attitude has obviously been a great help to you.

It was also very good of you to warn people about not protecting themselves at loud concerts.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I have been diagnosed with severe tinnitus and it's so bad that I pray to die. I dont know how to deal with it. I long for quite. I just got hearing aids because I do have mild hearing loss and my doctor claims it will help over time but right now I feel like I'm on the verge of a breakdown. I've read and read about this horrible plague and all the news is very depressing. Everything says there is no cure or real treatment. I need some support but have no place to go. I've tried background noise 24/7  but my brain literally is screaming for quiet. My head actually is reacting very negatively to all the noise. 

35 minutes ago, Angel377 said:

I have been diagnosed with severe tinnitus and it's so bad that I pray to die. I dont know how to deal with it. I long for quite. I just got hearing aids because I do have mild hearing loss and my doctor claims it will help over time but right now I feel like I'm on the verge of a breakdown. I've read and read about this horrible plague and all the news is very depressing. Everything says there is no cure or real treatment. I need some support but have no place to go. I've tried background noise 24/7  but my brain literally is screaming for quiet. My head actually is reacting very negatively to all the noise. 

I'm so sorry that you're suffering. :( While there is currently no cure for tinnitus, there are some possible treatment options. Have a look at the video on the Mayo Clinic website for some ideas that you can try and some things you can discuss with your doctor. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/symptoms-causes/syc-20350156

Here are a few other things you can also look into:

https://www.healthline.com/health/tinnitus-remedies

https://try.otoharmonics.com/otoharmonics-tinnitus-lp/

https://www.ata.org/managing-your-tinnitus/treatment-options

Archived