tinnitus is killing me. don't know how much longer I can take it.

mfergel

• Members

It never turns off. The ringing is constant and loud. I'm sitting in a huge room right now (computer tech) and I can hear the voices of people mumbling around me, the sound of the equipment fans, the buzz of the fluorescent lights and the constant ringing.........always ringing. I just want some silence if even for a few short minutes. :cry:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It never turns off. The ringing is constant and loud. I'm sitting in a huge room right now (computer tech) and I can hear the voices of people mumbling around me, the sound of the equipment fans, the buzz of the fluorescent lights and the constant ringing.........always ringing. I just want some silence if even for a few short minutes.
:cry:

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure that it's maddening. I only get it a couple times a week, so it's not constant. If it were, I know it would drive me crazy.

• Members

Take a break from all the volume you can, it seems to help with my tinnitus, which is also constant.

I also find that when it is really bad I will wear earplugs almost constantly. It is just a theory I have. But I think exposing your ears to less noise gives them a chance to recover a bit. Like if you get sun burnt, then stay out out the sun type thing.

Always keep some ear plugs with you too, in case some loud breaks out.

My ringing goes into overdrive if I'm exposed to anything loud, and it will last that way for weeks, after a few weeks it will settle back down a little.

The best thing you can do is work on accepting it, or ignoring it, because it is not going to go away.

Welcome to the club!! :thu:

• Members

You've got to learn to live with it and accept it as part of your life just like your arm or your leg is a part of you. I went to an audiologist for therapy and found it helped. My T is a high pitched hiss which is always there but you can program your brain to notice it less by concentrating on things which take you outside your T experience. Think of your work , your deadlines, think of something except the T and you will find it less threatning. Avoid alcohol, this triggers id off. Go to sleep with some white noise in the background. My audiologist lent me a soundboard with diferent noises...white noise is the best or leave the radio on as you sleep. You'll get through this.

• Members

I've had it really bad for about 8 years now. It's like being in a room with a tea kettle whistling 24 hours a day and never stops. I've had times when I thought I would totally loose it, but overall, I've somehow managed to accept it and not fall into depression and self pity. But at times when I do feel myself spiraling down emotionally, I find it helpful to try to focus on all the good things I have in my life and be thankful for that. It doesn't make the Tinnitus any better but it can sometimes help me keep my head above water emotionally. I work full time in music production, so it's definitely a huge handicap. Although a lot of the time I'm not aware of it, and it's true that you do get used to it (to some degree). I find that the less I think about it and focus on it, the better it is for me, which is one reason I never wanted to join a support group and talk about it a lot. But I wish you, and all the other Tinnitus sufferers all the best in dealing with it.

And one more thing - for those that don't have it. I never had any problems with my hearing till I went to a loud concert 8 years ago and left with my ears ringing. From that night on, it's never stopped. So please be aware that you can destroy your hearing forever with only one exposure to high decibel sound. Think about whether it's worth it.

• Members

I've seen infomercials for some drops (Quietus ) that are supposed to help lesson or stop it....so the product more than likely doesn't work
:)

IIRC - it's some sort of homeopathic (i.e. highly-diluted herbal) preparation, so I'd imagine that there's no harm in trying it (that is if it isn't too expensive). I seem to recall I did a bit of web research on it, and some folks indicated it helped. I feel sorry for those of you with this condition. For some reason my 51 years of loud music, bang-bangs (former combat engineer) and the like has resulted only in some hearing loss -- I've been fortunate!

• Members

It never turns off. The ringing is constant and loud. I'm sitting in a huge room right now (computer tech) and I can hear the voices of people mumbling around me, the sound of the equipment fans, the buzz of the fluorescent lights and the constant ringing.........always ringing. I just want some silence if even for a few short minutes.

There is a product for you coming out in the April time frame. Go see your audiologist after mid April, that's all I can say.

• Members

Yeah, it can happen with a single exposure if it's loud enough. I know someone who went out shooting once with a .44 magnum and no ear protection. I don't know how he could stand it in the first place, but that was it, he never heard silence again.

I've had it since 1993 or so, after years of loud clubs, drummers, amps. Strange thing about mine is I was in a very quiet room when it started - just going along fine and suddenly it was like a smoke detector went off.

Mine has gotten progressively better over the years - at first it was the loudest sound I would hear during the course of a normal day, and especially bad when I was stressed from work, etc. Going on Zoloft helped tremendously. It never goes away, but now most days I don't notice it unless I think about it.

Replacing my very midrangey Sundown combo amp with a Marshall half-stack also helped, believe it or not. The Sundown had this really harsh spike in the upper mids that just went straight through my skull. The Marshall (jtm45 re-ish) had a more scooped sound that didn't seem to aggravate it no matter how loud I played.

I don't push my luck. We never, ever go to shows without earplugs and I run attenuators on all my amps. When I go shooting I wear foam earplugs AND those ridiculously huge earmuffs - I look dorky as hell but nobody laughs because I have a gun. I try to watch the headphone use. Magnesium vitamin supplements seem to help. Keeping the ears clean helps.

About a year ago while on massive amounts of painkillers for a back ailment, I experienced about a half hour of total silence, for the first time in 16 years.

Oh well.

Truth is, if you think of all the other ways a person can be handicapped, tinnitus isn't much. It's just some noise. And as crazy as it'll drive you for the first few months, you will get used to it and you can go on and enjoy the 99.5% of your life tinnitus doesn't affect.

• Members

I agree with Orange Jackson in that I try to give my ears a rest whenever possible. I wear earplugs a lot. ANYTHING that can stress them I try to avoid.

Vacuuming the carpet (bachelor, yes I vacuum), cutting grass, and also car noise. It's shocking how many DB's are in the car when you combine car/road noise with music.

I got a lot mine from one night in a small club in NJ about 15 years ago seeing the Ace Frehley band, standing in from of a PA column.

• Moderators

Do you smoke?

• Members

The Hard disc drives and fans on computers can kill your ears stay away for a while and soon all computers will swithch to SSD (solid state drives) and there will be no more HDD noise.

Do you have a study to support this claim? Computer fans and HDs aren't anywhere near loud enough to cause hearing damage. A room full of rackmount servers and 15K RPM arrays, maybe. But a home computer made in the last 10 years? I don't believe it.

Fans are much louder than modern consumer-grade HDs anyway, and you still need them on desktops to cool the processor and power supply, even with the SSD.

Archived