About to order a Bugera V22.

twotimingpete

• Members

I didn't get 20% off. I usually work with m123 to get discounts but for some reason they won't do it. I tried on 3 seperate occasions to get the 20% off, I even used the argument that some customers recently got email offers for 20% and I didn't -- didn't work.

they'd only offer me 10% for some reason so I just said {censored} it and took it. still saved $35.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't get 20% off. I usually work with m123 to get discounts but for some reason they won't do it. I tried on 3 seperate occasions to get the 20% off, I even used the argument that some customers recently got email offers for 20% and I didn't -- didn't work.

they'd only offer me 10% for some reason so I just said {censored} it and took it. still saved $35.

Cool. Still a good deal, imo. Beats getting one at GC, paying list price, AND paying tax.

My experience has been that it's usually pretty easy to get 10% off. 15% is a little harder and doesn't always work and 20% is damn near impossible unless you have a coupon or they're having an actual 20% off sale.

• Members
got it and it seems to be DOA
:(

turn it on and it makes little stuttering/rumbling noises and the occasional pop.. no volume from guitar... hitting channel button or boost button produces a pop... seems to be busted.

annoying as {censored}.

I would suggest pulling off the tube cage and make sure all the tubes are well-seated. I was able to get the cage off my V55HD without removing the chassis from the cab.

Sorry it showed up not working...:cry:

• Members
got it and it seems to be DOA
:(

turn it on and it makes little stuttering/rumbling noises and the occasional pop.. no volume from guitar... hitting channel button or boost button produces a pop... seems to be busted.

annoying as {censored}.

:mad:

that sucks. Have you tried reseating the tubes? Sometimes {censored} like that can happen during shipping. Could be a tube just came loose or something.

• Members

I have an update that makes me sound like a retard, but I'll own up to it.

I couldn't get volume from the volume/master knobs, true... but I stormed off to complain on the internet before noting that the {censored}ing EQ knobs were all at zero!

amp works! it does make fluttering and popping noises a bit more than I'm used to, but I'm aware this is something that tube amps do sometimes, and it's (I believe) not a big deal. (my old carvin did this a bit but my fender never did) also worth noting that it did it more when I first started and did it less and less as I used it, I'm thinking it'll break in.

first impressions are that the clean channel is amazing, the reverb is good (not as good as a real spring like on my old fender, but still pretty good) and the gain channel is "ok". the clean channel seems to be the early favorite so far, I'm impressed. it's not as sparkly as a fender but it sorta comes close. I bet this is going to be fantastic with dirt pedals.

• Members

I couldn't get volume from the volume/master knobs, true... but I stormed off to complain on the internet before noting that the {censored}ing EQ knobs were all at zero!

amp works! it does make fluttering and popping noises a bit more than I'm used to, but I'm aware this is something that tube amps do sometimes, and it's (I believe) not a big deal. (my old carvin did this a bit but my fender never did)

first impressions are that the clean channel is amazing, the reverb is good (not as good as a real spring like on my old fender, but still pretty good) and the gain channel is "ok". the clean channel seems to be the early favorite so far, I'm impressed. it's not as sparkly as a fender but it sorta comes close. I bet this is going to be fantastic with dirt pedals.

Step number 1 with new amp - DIME everything! :poke:

Then back off as needed....:p

Glad it's working...though you shouldn't be hearing fluttering and popping noises. I'd still check that all the tubes are well-seated.

The Bugeras take pedals REALLY well, maybe better than anything I've ever used. You should be happy with all your dirt pedals and how they work with this amp.

Edit: The gain channel can be improved quite a bit by changing the V1 tube. I went with a NOS Jan/Philips 5751 as it's 30% less gain than a 12AX7, in my V55HD. Gain channel is WAY better now, all the way up to 10 with most guitars.

• Members

annoying thing about the tubes is they're inside some kind of enclosure so it's less easy to reseat them. I'll do it though.

The tube cage comes off fairly easily...I left my off. I ain't gonna reach in a grab no glowing tubes.

• Members

amp works! it does make fluttering and popping noises a bit more than I'm used to, but I'm aware this is something that tube amps do sometimes, and it's (I believe) not a big deal. (my old carvin did this a bit but my fender never did) also worth noting that it did it more when I first started and did it less and less as I used it, I'm thinking it'll break in.

:facepalm: oy vey!!! lmao

Glad you got it working.

Play with the tone knobs for a while. You'll find out that the amp is capable of a VERY wide range of tones. If you want fendery, turn up the presence, turn up the treble, turn up the bass, and turn down the mids. Reverb around 5 or 6. It'll give you a very nice fenderish sound. If you want more voxish, hit the boost button.

What is it about the drive channel you aren't crazy about? Maybe there's an eq setting that will sound better to you.

And yes, it takes pedals extremely well.

• Members

it's not that I dislike the drive channel --- it's a *bit* fizzy or something (not much, just slight) and maybe a bit muddy -- but then I'm not cranking it hard since I'm in my home, I'm supposing it'd be a lot better at volume. I think I can get good sounds out of it I just haven't tinkered enough yet.

• Members

cool. just spend some time messing with it. Once you get the feel for how the tone controls work it'll be easy to find the tones you're looking for. For me, I have a hard time getting a bad sound out of it. And like I said, the tone controls are capable of probably the widest range of usable tones out of any amp I've ever owned.

I'm out the door....gonna go play another gig with mine tonight. Will be running it with a mesa 1x12 extension cab.

• Members

it's not that I dislike the drive channel --- it's a *bit* fizzy or something (not much, just slight) and maybe a bit muddy -- but then I'm not cranking it hard since I'm in my home, I'm supposing it'd be a lot better at volume. I think I can get good sounds out of it I just haven't tinkered enough yet.

I'll tell you if it sounds Fizzy. That "fizz" often occurs at about 6-8K. An EQ in the loop and a 3-4db cut at that point.

• Members

I reseated the tubes, it still makes funny noises, the most bothersome is this squeal it'll sometimes do, sorta like the air squeaking out of a braut on the frying pan or something. sometimes it'll start to squeal loud then stop. I'm not talking about feedback.. this is something different. it does it even with the volume turned down, nothing in the inputs, etc.

shoudl I exchange it?

• Members

I reseated the tubes, it still makes funny noises, the most bothersome is this squeal it'll sometimes do, sorta like the air squeaking out of a braut on the frying pan or something. sometimes it'll start to squeal loud then stop. I'm not talking about feedback.. this is something different. it does it even with the volume turned down, nothing in the inputs, etc.

shoudl I exchange it?

Sounds like it's tubes warming up. Some tubes just do that, some don't.

• Members

continues to do this at random after the tubes have had more than enough time to have warmed up. as far as I can tell it never stops doing it all together.

sounds like maybe a microphonic or bad tube. Seems to be an epidemic of bad tubes lately on all different kinds of amps. I've heard about a couple of new egnaters with bad tubes right out of the box too. If it were me, I'd probably exchange it unless you have some spare tubes lying around that you can try.

• Members

the front panel behind all the knobs-- that actually gets hot. that normal?

yeah, that's normal for tube amps. A couple of my tube amps actually get too hot to touch. My palominos are like that and my C30 was also like that. The V22 gets hot but not as hot as those.

even though it's normal, I still put a small desktop fan pointing at the power section to keep things cool. I use it with all my amps. Bought it at walmart for 7 bucks.

• Members

Find me the amp that Behringer copied for this one or the V-55 too.

I'd love to know what it is!! Betcha won't find another with this circut design.

In fact even Bruce Egnater said there's only so many direction to go with a tube amp and they've all pretty much been gone in.

I hear its a clone of a bad cat hot cat but no one knows, no one has traced it out, do it!

• Members

Nice. So it's a halfway decent amp if you replace all the tubes, put an EQ in front to get rid of the fizz, and put a fan pointing at the power section. The added bonus to that is that you can stand in front of your amp and get that rock star video/hair blowing effect. Does it have room to mount a small fire extinguisher in the cabinet?

In 15 years of owning probably a dozen different tube amps, I've never had one go snap, crackle, pop, or squeal unless something was wrong. They don't "just do that". I've also never had a control panel get hot to the touch, but it's possible that's just bad design. I'd contact Bugera about a warranty replacement or repair, unless you feel it's up to you to replace the tubes.

Archived