Ibanez Jem or Suhr Modern?

scolfax

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will say this. I own both, a Suhr Modern....I love it....and I have owned and still own many Jems. The Jem is one of the best guitars made especially for the money because even though the price tag is $2599 or whatever, I have never paid that even for a new one. In fact I have never paid more than $1850.00 for a brand new 7vwh even from GC. I do prefer the Suhr Modern. Is it leaps and bounds better than the Jem?.... NO, but it is better by a good margin and way more versatile. Both great guitars. My next purchase......?....another Modern of course.

But having said that, I disagree that a CNC machine is more consistant than a human. There are many other variable most are not considering, bits wear out and do not stay the same forever and over time a machine can vibrate more than it originally did as well as many other factors. I would almost bet the human is damn close to as consistant as the CNC machine is. I would like to think machine or human no matter which, quality control is going to pick up any error that has been made and cull the ones that don't meet the standards. I am sure both get measured after to the "enth degree". I personally don't care how it is made.....as long as it fits my hands like a glove and has tone for days, and gets better with age or at least never fades. That is the value I am after.

Peace brothers!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks! I think that settles it. I have a '91 Japanese RG that I love, and was afraid that spending $2500 for an Jem might not be enough of a step up.

That blue Suhr up there for $2900, with a possibility of 30% off sounds like a great deal!

Man I have owned both original RG's and Jem's and there is a ton of diff. The Jem is leaps and bounds above the RG in playability. Both good guitars, but not even close

• Members

LOL. A CNC is just a computer controlled saw/router as the nice post above said.

I would prefer to buy a CNC'd guitar, because I know it would have tighter tolerances, and the human time would be spent on things that matter more.

• Members

Man I have owned both original RG's and Jem's and there is a ton of diff. The Jem is leaps and bounds above the RG in playability. Both good guitars, but not even close

OK, so let's consider playability. Both 24-fret maple necks with rosewood fingerboards and jumbo frets. The Jem's neck is a bit thicker, has the all-access neck joint, and several scalloped frets. The RG's neck is a bit thinner, with an old style-joint.

The different body wood (alder vs basswood) and the pickups might make one sound a lot better, but I'm just not seeing the "leaps and bounds" in terms of playability part.

• Members

I think both of them are ridiculously overpriced for a bolt-on. The JEM is a mildly hot-rodded RG, nothing more. It should be half that price considering the RGs you can get for even less than that. The Suhr, well, they're great guitars, but they still follow Leo's tired and true method for decreasing construction costs.. Are they worth it? Every Suhr owner on the planet says yes, absolutely. For my money? Nope.. I'd lay my DC127 down beside a Suhr, any time..

Archived