RIP Alex Chilton

Lee Flier

• Members

F*cking hell.

Those three Big Star records are a unique achievement in rock history, and they also describe a kind of arc form the highly polished, precocious power pop of #1 Record to the...sheer mental instability of Sisters/Lovers.

I deeply love each proper Big Star record. I even liked what I've heard of the live stuff done with Ken and Jon from the Posies.

I wrote elsewhere this morning that Chilton was the J.D. Salinger of rock, not as reclusive but every bit as disdainful of success and, in his own way, just as important.

My band covers "13." I presume we'll open with it at our show Saturday night.

Also thinking of dusting off our covers of "Back of a Car" and "The Ballad of El Goodo" just to express my admiration for this cat.

• Moderators

ah... man. I just saw the Big Star reunited thing on some late night program. I woke up with the TV on and there was a couple year old Big Star reunion on Letterman or some odd show. I was half aslepp but they sounded great.

Loved his voice. That Box Tops song is such a rockin' syncopated piece of pop. Awesome. I never saw that clip but the keyboardist gets 5 stars for his video performance. Funny.

And sad about Alex. RIP.

• Members

I wrote elsewhere this morning that Chilton was the J.D. Salinger of rock, not as reclusive but every bit as disdainful of success and, in his own way, just as important.

A couple of great blurbs from the Rob Sheffield Rolling Stone tribute article today...

The only time I ever attempted to interview him, backstage after a solo show, he just snickered,

• Members

Okay, this one is funny...

A whole new generation of viewers was exposed to Big Star's music when That '70s Show used a Cheap Trick cover of the band's "In the Street" as its theme song. Chilton told Rolling Stone in 2000 that he had not heard the new version, but received $70 in royalties per airing. "It's actually ironic that the amount is $70. To me it's That $70 Show," he said.

:D

• Members

That's just become one of my favorite lip sync vids ever. I love the keyboardist...

I wonder if he was in PIL when they appeared on Bandstand??? :D

On another note, you know that song is less than two minutes long but it still tells a complete story! :eek:

pte3Jg-2Ax4

Bob Lefsetz was right. I hadn't heard this in ages... but hearing it again, I was instantly taken back to junior high school and all the emotions that came with it. A good artist should move you; make you FEEL something, stir something in your soul. That's missing in too much of today's music.... but Alex knew how to do? it.

He will be greatly missed. :(

• Moderators

First of all, RIP Mr. Chilton.

Second of all, tragedy like this is nearly 100% preventable, don't let it happen to you or to someone you love.

Heart disease usually develops gradually, and has easy to recognize warning signs. Sounds like Mr. Chilton ignored his, other than telling his wife who should have got on him to see a doctor about it. Perhaps she did and he ignored her also.

Everyone should monitor and control their cholesterol level, know the signs of heart trouble, and get a echo cardiogram stress test (includes EKG) at 50, or earlier if heart disease runs in the family. A CT heart scan is a good idea too, and don't require a doctor's order. Most hospitals periodically offer up to 50% discounts on the scans as a community service.

All of these tests are safe, non-invasive, painless, and may save your life or the life of someone you love.

Thank you, Mr. Chilton for all your contributions to music. Maybe you can contribute yet again if your untimely death makes a few people consider the symptoms they've been ignoring and do something about it.

Terry D.

Archived