what so you consider the cardinal sins of guitar playing..?

scuzzo

• Members
I guess I'm worried about my neighbors hearing me work through parts where I'm clammy. Or just them hearing my random noodling at higher levels.
:lol:

My roommate was asking our new neighbor if my playing bothered him. Neighbor said, "he only knows one song, but he's getting the hang of it." I was working on a challenging Knopfler song at the time, for about a month solid. I guess they do notice. :lol:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

5) Constantly playing 2 note chords instead of the full chord (

There are plenty of times when it's much more appropriate to just play the 3rd and 7th, and maybe add another extension or two, than to create mud by playing all 6 strings for the chords.

If you're talking about just playing "power" chords (root and fifth), I'd agree, most of the time. Even they have thier place, though.

• Members
I would modify this by saying: plug straight in and practice.

I have played unplugged electrics for such long periods that I have developed bad habits because I'm not hearing everything that's happening on the guitar. Then, at long last, I'll plug in and think: "Man, I sound like crap. Bum notes all over the place."

Also, when I do plug in, I'm sort of shocked by how loud it can be and I can only play at my best by starting out at a lower volume so I'm able to dig in as hard as I like. I need to gradually turn up from there and keep the intensity.

I guess I'm worried about my neighbors hearing me work through parts where I'm clammy. Or just them hearing my random noodling at higher levels.

This is exactly what happens to me, it's incredibly frustrating :lol:

• Members

not playing an acoustic loud enough.

there's noise in that there box! let it out

Or playing it too damn loud while someone takes a break or is trying to sing. For Pete's sake when it is time to ease up ease the hell up. I have been to countless bluegrass jam sessions where people don't comprehend this rule. Banjo players are horrible about it and new guitarists who get Martins to learn on.

• Members

I agree with the bending to pitch and the vibrato things.

Developing a good vibrato isn't easy but it pays off. A great vibrato can help make a player with mediocre skills sound fantastic.

It drives me crazy hearing someone hit a note and just shake it really fast. That's just wacking off, not vibrato. It's like the guitar equivalent of Tiny Tim's voice. Ugh.

• Members
I would modify this by saying: plug straight in and practice.

I have played unplugged electrics for such long periods that I have developed bad habits because I'm not hearing everything that's happening on the guitar. Then, at long last, I'll plug in and think: "Man, I sound like crap. Bum notes all over the place."

Also, when I do plug in, I'm sort of shocked by how loud it can be and I can only play at my best by starting out at a lower volume so I'm able to dig in as hard as I like. I need to gradually turn up from there and keep the intensity.

+ 1000000

I bought a nice mid/high end Ibanez and swore I was never going to play it unplugged. I broke that oath. And then I plug it in and get intimidated by the noise and the slop. And I've been a guitar player for 26 years. never professionally and almost never with a band :(

-Jacksix

• Members
perfect example of a cardinal sin most players are guilty of, especially early on... mostly unfounded mass generalizations about gear

:rolleyes:

So you mean "unfounded" as in having owned and tried tons of Line 6 in the past and found it to be lacking? Hell, one of my local stores even stopped carrying Line 6 due to constant quality issues. Not quite so early on either, homey, I've been playing for quite a while and own and have owned nice gear (Gibson, Fender, G&L, Music Man, etc guitars; Dr. Z, Fender, and Marshall amps; Hermida, Carl Martin, and Keeley pedals). I found my way to that kind of stuff by playing Line 6 gear and finding it amazingly lacking in tone and quality. However, if you like it, rock it. But I'll take a Tele, a Dr. Z, and some Keeley gear, thanks.

• Members

Not improving, being happy with your current abilities, playing the same thing every time you pick up your guitar, relying on effects to hide bad playing, bad timing, assuming that you'd be a better player with a "better" guitar, leaving strings ringing that shouldn't be........

I need to listen to my own advice. I'm really lazy, and suffer from all the above.

Turn off all the effects and concentrate on playing clean and precise. That's improved me the most.

• Members

Oh yeah, I forgot. Listen to Mac C. Line 6 stuff is ermmmm, junk; along with Blackstar and Marshall BTW. Use a Fender amp, an old peavy classic, a hiwatt or a messa boogie.

really? marshall is junk:facepalm:

anyways, definitely agree with too much gain. every time i have a:idea: moment about my tone improving, its always from turning the gain down a bit, really adds dynamics and clarity. also, picking in the same place all the time. i have been coming up with a few riffs recently that use the same pickup/knob settings, but have different pick placements and strengths and there is a ton of dynamics in the riffs (assuming you are using decent gear..)

• Members

Dirty Marshall is OK, but I like clean, so therefore I prefer Fender and old Peavys (which are both crap at dirty).

When Jim "designed" his first amp, he took a fender twin, and kept pulling bits off it until it stopped working. Cheap small smoothing capacitors, cheaper componants blah blah blah.

Marshall had a good reputation in the 80's because most metallists used them, and every schoolboy and girl into music wanted the famous black and gold. People forgot about quality. I'd put my 50W Peavy classic up against a 100W Marshall any day, and out volume it, and out tone it too.

Hey, It's just my opinion/personal preference.

Archived