what so you consider the cardinal sins of guitar playing..?

scuzzo

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Things I hate, hate mind you, with a white-hot loathing:

1. Not being in tune.

2. Playing too loud (when playing with others).

3. Using more gain than is needed.

4. Poor choice and/or use of effects.

5. Not bending to pitch.

6. For slide players: not getting to pitch.

7. Asking for help then bitching about it when you get it.

8. Trying to help me when you're not in tune and don't know the f'ing song.

9. Touching my or other's stuff - especially without asking.

And finally:

10. Don't ask to sit in unless you have brought your own stuff and can play it. Don't ask to sit in on my gig and then bitch about the songs. Don't sit in and ask me to play Slayer at a Blues gig, and vice versa.

• Members

Guitarist who push their boundaries too much. I know good experienced guitarists who suck live because they wanna do this really freakin' fast tap solo, or a really fast run.. and can't do it. Its okay to push your boundaries and capability's a bit, but there's a point where its too much and you are gonna sound like an idiot. Sad thing is that most people

(the general audience) are pretty gullible I would say and think those guitarists are amazing.

• Members

The one thing that always stands out to me is the vibrato. There are so many players out there that do it too fast or without feel. Good vibrato is very underrated.

Bad vibrato bugs me too. Even pros sometimes do it so fast in a relatively slow song and it just sounds...blehh. I'm not a huge Steve Vai fan, but he says that when he practices, he spends an hour on just one technique like vibrato or bending. I think a lot of players could benefit from that.

• Members

Oh oh oh! My biggest pet peeve is people that never change their strings. I don't know how many times I've picked up a guitar at a friends house to find blackened, rusty, dead strings. Dreadful.

You're friends with Steve Cropper? 'Cause he never changes his, thinks they sound better rusty.

Maybe that's the exception that proves the rule.

• Members

I only see a couple things here that I haven't been guilty of at one point or another. I grew up on bluegrass and Irish folk music in addition to all the usual 70s mastodons. So in particular it's lifelong struggle for me to (a) not hit an acoustic too hard, and (b) not just cram notes in everywhere there's space.

But my contribution is bassists who wear their bass at chest-level and for whom every song is a tribute to Jaco Pastorius.

• Members

1) Not being prepared for emergiencies - Extra Strings, Cabling and if possible backup guitar

2) Playing too loud for the situation

3) Out of tune

4) Insisting we play songs that are clearly not in my vocal range

5) Constantly playing 2 note chords instead of the full chord (

• Members

Playing through Line 6 gear. I know some dudes are gonna jump on that tell me how bad ass their Line 6 stuff is, but save it boys, my mind is made up until the quality of their gear goes up.

perfect example of a cardinal sin most players are guilty of, especially early on... mostly unfounded mass generalizations about gear

• Members

wow...

i must agree.. thats about the most concise way i have ever heard that idea stated.. lots of BIG TRUTH there..

:thu:

uh..

imho..

The most annoying manifestation of that is using too many effects or too much gain to hide mistakes and bad technique. Makes my ears hurt.

• Members

perfect example of a cardinal sin most players are guilty of, especially early on... mostly unfounded mass generalizations about gear

:thu:

Gear snobbery. Strange that that usually starts before players have even used or know how use most of the stuff they bash.

• Members

*whicka whicka* wah wah white boy chord/riffs every time a drummer gets remotely funky...

Put down the Wah and listen to some Isley Brothers or Gap Band...

Learn some Soul with Control!

and... DONT TAP until you learn to do it correctly!! nothin worse than bad tap solos... (except for bad white funk guitar)...lol

• Members

Fundamentals....

Most people grab the gear and start emulating their idol without learning anything about the basics. Everything they end up playing sounds just like a half assed version of the reason they started playing. Granted a lot of great artist have no music theory training but had a nature ability to get around it.

Learn some scales, learn keys, and dynamics...you will be able to play with anyone without looking like a tool.

• Members

I'm guilty of this...much more than once....

Taking a 12 bar lead break in a song, and then PLAYING THE SAME FRAKKING LEAD BREAK again later in the song. Oh, God, how I hate that. It's better not to play than fall in a musicla rut. I'm better now [thanks], but that fear still hangs around me...the rhythm guitar guy looking at me with google eyes, and then laughing...I deserved it, but it sucks and is humiliating. Caused by nerves and lack of confidence, I guess...as well as a paucity of licks.

I can't stand to hear that kind of thing.

• Members

the tendency to 'fix' lack of technique with gear.
:facepalm:

unplug & practise!
:mad:

I would modify this by saying: plug straight in and practice.

I have played unplugged electrics for such long periods that I have developed bad habits because I'm not hearing everything that's happening on the guitar. Then, at long last, I'll plug in and think: "Man, I sound like crap. Bum notes all over the place."

Also, when I do plug in, I'm sort of shocked by how loud it can be and I can only play at my best by starting out at a lower volume so I'm able to dig in as hard as I like. I need to gradually turn up from there and keep the intensity.

I guess I'm worried about my neighbors hearing me work through parts where I'm clammy. Or just them hearing my random noodling at higher levels.:lol:

Archived