are these pickups gibson "PAF"?

flyinbryan

• Members

these pickups are in my '59 gibson es175dn. they seem to work alright, but im wondering if modern ones would sound different/better?

i might could change/trade out for something newer?

100_1445.jpg

100_1443.jpg

they are in this guitar

100_1267.jpg

someone here said that the bridge pickup was in upside down, and that the pickups might not be original, so i decided to flip it over so the screws were closer to the bridge (which i understand is correct??

are these most likely original to this guitar? also, whats up with that solder? is that normal for these? to look soldered together like that?

• Members

They sell for about $1500 each in the condition they are in now.......

I'd leave them alone, it will ruin the value of your guitar if you break the original solder connections.

The modern pickups try to replicate what you already have, that's vintage treasure there.

• Members

these pickups are in my '59 gibson es175dn. they seem to work alright, but im wondering if modern ones would sound different/better?

i might could change/trade out for something newer?

100_1445.jpg
100_1443.jpg

they are in this guitar

100_1267.jpg

someone here said that the bridge pickup was in upside down, and that the pickups might not be original, so i decided to flip it over so the screws were closer to the bridge (which i understand is correct??

are these most likely original to this guitar? also, whats up with that solder? is that normal for these? to look soldered together like that?

Wow man, how did you not know what you were getting when you got it in the first place?

If it is an inheritance, then a free pass. If pure noobness, stick around. You need an ejoocation :mad::cop:

• Members

Wow man, how did you not know what you were getting when you got it in the first place?

If it is an inheritance, then a free pass. If pure noobness, stick around. You need an ejoocation
:mad::cop:

lol, it was left to me when my dad passed when i was just a kid. (30 yrs ago)

i take it they are valuable?

• Members

They sell for about $1500 each in the condition they are in now.......

I'd leave them alone, it will ruin the value of your guitar if you break the original solder connections.

The modern pickups try to replicate what you already have, that's vintage treasure there.

lol, that answers a previous question.

for real man? from a technoligy standpoint these still make the grade?

• Members

Welcome to one of the few lost arts of the world, mein. :thu:

Oh, and officially:

huge_shock.gif

You just a found a pile of diamonds. Seriously. :eek:

• Members

They are the Holy Grail of pickups. People pay LOTS of money for originals. Nice guitar, keep it all original. Get it appraised and insured. Gruhn Guitars will do an appraisal for a nominal fee. Nice heirloom.

• Members

That bridge pickup may have been reversed to tame the treble a bit. As you've discovered, an easily reversible mod.

The solder holds the pickup covers on and grounds them, that looks correct.

As to your other questions, yeah, it's an old-fashioned guitar. I'd stick a Floyd and some EMGs on that thing, and bring it into the eighties.:rawk:

• Members

lol, naw, i aint trolling.

the fact is, i put it on another site, asking its value, and there was a question about whether or not it had the original "paf" pickups in it.

i had no clue, and really didnt like a few of the replies there like " we call bull{censored}, whats the real story on the guitar?"

so i came back here to ask SPECIFICALLY about the pickup question.

fact is i dont know {censored} about guitars compared to most here, ive bought one guitar in my life. a kramer for 200 dollars, and i dont have it anymore.

LOL!!! for real guys, no trolling. i value the site as a resource for info about which i dont know jack!!!!

im impressed with my dads ole guitar though, and the fact that my trollism is questioned actually makes me a little more impressed with it!!

bryan

• Members

I tried to tell you the other day.
:cop:
Kinda thought you were kidding but either you really don't know or you're having some fun at our expense.

EG

LOL, well, i gotta be honest, im smiling and laughing, but not at anyones expense, but at the fact i had no idea exactly what i have here.

i still dont think ive accepted that i really got something here. im trying to find the one thing (like the pickups) that bursts my bubble and makes this turn out like everything else always seems to right after i start thinking its something special.

you know? ive kinda been programmed to accept that when something seems too good to be true, it usually is????

im just watching (seeking) for that tripwire that springs and says, "oh, wait, naw man, that guitar is no big deal"

bryan.

Archived