Danelectro Dead-On '67 - Anybody tried one?

rebelzed

• Members

Messed around with one of these at Guitar Center over the weekend. Incredibly light, pretty comfortable. Awesome retro styling (typical Danelectro). Only noodled for a minute, so didn't get much of a test. Anybody own one or played one too? Thoughts/opinions? :poke:

• Members

Like you I messed around with one for a few minutes at my local GC while I was waiting on something. Mine was way out of tune, and needed a setup. None the less, it appealed to me mainly because of the styling. I was trying to tune the one at the store to get some idea of what it could really do - but next too impossible because of the level of noise in the store. I don't need another guitar - but the Dead On does appeal to me.

- W

• Members

I have one, I bought it to add to my Danelectro collection, not because its an outstanding player. On the downside it has a cheap feel to it. The tuners aren't smooth but they do hold tune. I found the action a little too high even with the bridge lowered as much as possible so I'll have to shim the neck. The neck is fatter than other Danos (just like the original 67 Hornet) some people willl like that, I don't. The whammy bar has limited movement, you just get a little warble, no divebombing. On the plus side the lipstick pickups sound fantastic. It's very playable, looks cool, and is a lot of fun.

Deadon67.jpg

• Members

At Christmas for the past 2 years it seems that MF and M123 will discount these to around 199-210 (usually a clearance price w/discount code).

I bought the dano pro, dano 59 and the dano 63 for around the prices I've listed, unfortunately you don't really get to pick the color. The discount is usually for a slow mover. But I always go for price over looks as long as it's the same model.

They are really fun guitars

• 1 month later...
  • Members

thread_necromancy.jpg

When I first saw this guitar, I thought "why in the heck would they reissue one of these old hideous designs?" Well, I played a few and loved it. I hate the trem, but I love the lightweight feel of the body and the satin painted finish on the back of the neck. I could see myself getting one, but I wonder how easy it would be to replace the bridge with a simple top-loading fixed unit.

thread_necromancy.jpg

When I first saw this guitar, I thought "why in the heck would they reissue one of these old hideous designs?" Well, I played a few and loved it. I hate the trem, but I love the lightweight feel of the body and the satin painted finish on the back of the neck. I could see myself getting one, but I wonder how easy it would be to replace the bridge with a simple top-loading fixed unit.

+1

I also loved the pickups. Sweet velvety tone.

• Members

^^^Listen to the very end of the clip and you'll hear the chimey Dead On through a Vox AC15TBX. Really sweet for rhythm and arpeggios like I'm playing there. Nice tube driven tremolo from that late 90's Vox too!

A couple of more things--replace the OEM strings immediately. Chinese junque. Also, get some wet 'n dry 600 grit paper and burnish the aluminum nut's slots, then lube with Nut Sauce or graphite. The guitar actually intonates pretty well considering the rudimentary rosewood bridge. The tuners keep everything in honest, but they are far from smooth operators. Maybe someone can tell us how to get them to turn more smoothly.

Do not remove the thumbscrew that holds the trem spring in place or the whole bridge will come apart, and it's a total cluster {censored} to get it back together.

Also, burnish the slots that hold the ball ends of the strings so that there aren't any burrs that might cause the string to break.

The necks on those guitars are really nice--about the size of an American Standard Strat. Good looking rosewood board too, very playable. The fretwork is very good!

My question is this: Will MF be blowing these out after Christmas for $199? I have nothing to base this on whatsoever, it's just a hunch based on the {censored}ty economy and the fact that you can buy some very nice guitars in the $350 range that would run circles around the 67 in terms of everything but the ultra cool Dano vibe. You can't put a price on that:-) Oh, wait. You can.

Edit: OK. {censored} me. They are going for $249. I can't believe that my hunch was almost dead on. For that price, I say GO FOR IT.

• Members

DSC02182.jpg

Not a bad guitar. I too have some issues with getting the action low enough for my preference, but it's low enough for a standard (average) action. I think it would require a fret level to really dial this guitar in, but for a bit of an inexpensive semi-novelty type of guitar, it's fine as is.

It's not as deep sounding as their other models for obvious reasons.

The pickups appear to be in series when the N+B are combined and that tends to be my favored setting. The other settings are thinner down to the point where I don't use the bridge p'up alone much by itself. It's not a great guitar, but they've now lowered the price to $299 and if one could get another discount on top of that, then there's no need for bitchin. Even before the price drop I was able to get mine for $280 (20% off of $350), so I'm guessing that those who have waited will be able to get 'er down to $255 or even $240 at the right time and place. But like most Dano's once they start to blow them out, when they are gone, they are gone.

So far of the three I've bought, that red 56-Pro above is probably the most bona-fide instrument of the bunch, but the '67 for some reason has been a bit more fun to play. But just sitting on your lap in your easy chair, the thin body with satin finish and rounded edges makes it a slippery bugger. Nothing a strap won't secure. ;)

I weighed mine the other day and it came in at 6 lbs 4 ounces.

Edit: Woah - The price just dropped again. They are now $250 at MF. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Dead-on-67-Electric-Guitar?sku=580356

For those who have been on the fence, better hurry, I've seen Dano's go on clearance before and they go from seeming abundance to oblivion rather quickly and then the show up years later on ebay for the prices you would have paid new.

2nd edit Use the UPROMISE code at M123 and now the price is more like $212

• Members

Got one in agent orange. Aside from intonation issues, this is all I can ask for in a guitar: 1) the best clean tones, with their own character that, imo, surpasses most Fenders, 2) Great neck, and 3) Featherweight. Not to mention that it looks killer, at least I find it so. It's a mating of a Tele and a Ric.

I sold my Nashville Tele the next day I bought this.

• Members
  • Members

I never have much use for these "walking through Guitar Center reviews". Why do you guys post them?

I been to the zoo too, but I'm not going to challenge Jane Goodall's knowledge of chimps.

1. First impressions and all.....nice analogy though and I see your point. If I pick it up, strum a chord, ok 2 after attempting to get it relatively in tune and am put off by the "toyish" feel and $349 price tag, I move on.

2. O.P asked for opinions. I thought they looked cool, but after spending a minute or two with it didn't see a need to investigate further. If the price tag said $99 might have plugged one in. Always on the lookout for the next cool thing. Just not my bag baby. Just a fellow forumite's two cents 'cause it was requested. What's your take?

• Members

1. First impressions and all.....nice analogy though and I see your point. If I pick it up, strum a chord, ok 2 after attempting to get it relatively in tune and am put off by the "toyish" feel and $349 price tag, I move on.

2. O.P asked for opinions. I thought they looked cool, but after spending a minute or two with it didn't see a need to investigate further. If the price tag said $99 might have plugged one in. Always on the lookout for the next cool thing. Just not my bag baby. Just a fellow forumite's two cents 'cause it was requested. What's your take?

Funny, though, I was talking to my wife tonight about these things being on sale now, and about all she had to say about mine is, "they look cheap". WFT? :confused: (But she is totally female when it comes to these issues, i.e. looks first; tone afterthought)

:lol:

Different strokes I guess.

But yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with the negatives, but Dano's to me are about cheap guitars that surprisingly sound better than one would think they should. I think I posted above that I prefer my '59 Pro, but these are fun and have some good vibey tones in them. If I wasn't a bit of a collector, I'd pass too. But I'm enjoying mine from time to time. But part of the concept I was pushing above is that this guitar might take a bit more time to dial in with setup, and amp matching than most. And I have a hard time usually getting a good take on a guitar even in the best of circumstances on a GC visit. But now that the price is down closer to $200 on these, it seems like they'll make more sense to a few more folks

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Got mine last night mail order. I've generally had really good luck buying like that; this time, not so much.

First impressions: the fit and finish are ok, but not superb. The aluminum control panel is not completely flush with the pickguard around the bridge, sloppy. The lipstick pickups are a dull grey. The slots for the strings on the bridge are uneven and have burrs on them. The sucker is light though!

Second impressions (plugged in): The action is worthlessly low; I can't get any notes below the 5th fret without buzzing. The selector switch for the pickups isn't working in the bridge position. The tremolo pretty much pulls the guitar out of tune even at a tight setting. At this point I am very disappointed. :facepalm:

Third impressions: raised the bridge a bit and it helped the action a little, but I still feel like either the nut is too low or the bridge needs to come up more. I hate the fact there is bad intonation above the 12th fret and no way to adjust for it.

Final impressions: When it plays, it does sound good and I don't know how else you can enter the baritone world for this cheap...but its going to get more expensive now that I need to either send this back or get it professionally setup. And this was brand new in-the-box. :cry:

Archived