tell me about lemon oil

jr_vw2

• Members

There's lemon oil and there's lemon oil. One you get at the guitar store and the other is a food product you get at a grocery or health food store. The latter is a solvent and is NOT what you want to put on your rosewood neck. It's very much like orange oil and isn't good for anything except cleaning and will dry out your fretboard.

The Dunlop 65 ultimate lemon oil is the kind to use on a neck. It's a lemon smelling mineral oil.

• Members

It hydrates your wood properly and gives it a nice look. You can get it at any place that carries lumber or guitars, usually.

I think hydrate is an overly generous description of what rubbing oil on a piece of cut & seasoned wood actually does....

• Members

Lemon oil is absolutely safe and I completely recommend for it because it moisturizes the fingerboard as well as gets rid any built up grime. Most of the pros use it every two changes of strings... so you remove your strings and applay a small amound between all the frets. After letting it soak for two to five minutes, wipe it off and you're all set to go.

• Members

Lemon oil is absolutely safe and I completely recommend for it because it moisturizes the fingerboard as well as gets rid any built up grime. Most of the pros use it every two changes of strings... so you remove your strings and applay a small amound between all the frets. After letting it soak for two to five minutes, wipe it off and you're all set to go.

Where'd you see the information that most "pros" use it after every string change?

• Moderators

Lemon oil is a paraffin based product, better known as Johnsons baby oil with some limonene added for smell.

It's a by product from the petrochemical industry, and has questionable benefits for unfinished guitar fretboards.

A better alternative is a bore oil or Fret Doctor which dependant on climate could be used maybe once a year to maintain a barrier to prevent changes in the fretboard, ie shrinkage or swelling.

It is not to hydrate, rehydrate or moisturise:facepalm:

• Members

Well let me tell you what I have going on here. The neck on my mid 90's Jackson at2t is pretty grime and it looks really dull. It doesn't have that nice rich rosewood loom to it. I have only had the guitar for about a month or so so I don't have any history. But what should I use to clean/condition this fingerboard. I can post pics if need be. Thanks

• Moderators

Well let me tell you what I have going on here. The neck on my mid 90's Jackson at2t is pretty grime and it looks really dull. It doesn't have that nice rich rosewood loom to it. I have only had the guitar for about a month or so so I don't have any history. But what should I use to clean/condition this fingerboard. I can post pics if need be. Thanks

If you have alreday bought the lemon oil, cool.

Remove the strings, get a medium bristle toothbrush, and then spot the oil between each fret and then use the toothbrush parallel to the frets until all the solids are gone, then using a lint free rag remove all the excess oil, restring tune, play

• Members

I personally use Mineral Spirits to clean up a really grimey fretboard and then follow up with Mineral Oil to "condition".

Archived