Gibson vs Lookalikes

ido1957

• Members
You need to go back to
elemetry school
and learn how words are put together. You are pretty freakin clueless.

Yeah. :D:facepalm:

All joking aside. I didn't mean lower end Gibson's are bad, but they aren't Historics which get the best wood and construction techniques. I've played some Trad Pluses which sucked and some which are nice, but I'll be honest. I haven't found a non-customshop that outplays my R9.

• Members

I just build good copies.

Only costs me about $250.00 and I can sell them to Guitar Center for $800 - you don't want to know.

Then I laugh when I see them pop up online.

I have real Gibsons that are great. I have played some historic models that are fantastic, I just can't justify buying one.

• Members

Thats funny, how come I dont have that problem?

No damn clue. I've owned 10 Gibsons and presently own 4, and I've had to do work on the nuts of nearly all of them. Of the four I still have, two of them have had the nuts replaced entirely, one of them has had the G slot shaved, and the other is just fine - but it's from 1961 so I dunno what previous owners may have done with it.

Of all the things Gibson does well, tuning stability is not one of them, purely because they put the world's {censored}tiest nuts on two thousand dollar guitars. It would cost them like $3 to $5 at the factory to put a nice graphite or bone nut on, or at least file them better, but it costs me $40 when I have to go replace it later myself. It's kind of annoying.

• Members

When talking no-names or Gibson you need to keep in mind there are great no-names and great Gibson's. And conversely there are crap in both worlds too.

You want a great Gibson get a Historic reissue, want a great no-name grab an Aviator or early Tokia high end model or a custom made knock off which will cost you in the tens of thousands.

I've never heard of an Aviator guitar...are you sure you don't mean Navigator?

Archived