Polishing a turd

dcindc

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's the first fix, and one that many of you can put to immediate use.

The switch is noisy.

SquierStrat8.jpg

Squirt a very small amount of WD-40 in the switch and exercise it back and forth. Just one little "pfft" shot is all it takes. You don't want a bunch of WD-40 running thru the switch and down into the guitar's body.

Wallah! The switch is no longer noisy.

You may read in lots of places on the internet not to use WD-40 to clean pots and switches. That is wrong. The people who say that are either trying to sell you some expensive concoction, or are defending their purchase of an expensive concoction.

I've been an electronics tech for MANY years. This works, and it's all I use. And yes, I've tried the expensive concoctions.

You want the WD to get to the actual mechanical point where the contacts are, so aim it into the opening revealed in the switch. For pots, squirt it into the little stamping dimple, or next to where the terminals come out from under the metal cover.

I've never replaced a switch due to noise unless it was physically broken. Ditto for pots.

WD-40 eats corrosion, and is indispensible around the shop. If you have tarnished or rusty hardware, soaking in WD removes it, while not harming the parts.

The only thing you don't want to put WD-40 on is a blued gun. Use steel wool and a light tough for that.

BTW, for frozen/rusted parts, I use Free-All, and I am a distributor. I've tried everything and nothing else is even remotely close.

• Members

So it's time to remove the strings. They are beat, and I want to take the neck off to see what's up in there.

I slack the string tension, and cut them with my Planet Waves winder/cutter.

SquierStrat9.jpg

Then I coil them up in small loops. If you've ever been stabbed by a string you make a habit of this. Then I put them in the trash.

SquierStrat10.jpg

The top two strings got stuck in the trem block and wouldn't come out. I used a needle file to pick the balls free, and then they came right out.

SquierStrat11.jpg

• Members

This is the screwdriver I use. I use it because the two phillips ends (technically Reed and Prince) fit the screws on a guitar perfectly. This keeps me from munging up screw heads.

SquierStrat12.jpg

I loosened the neck screws until they were clear of neck wood. They were LOOSE so that might be whole issue here.

SquierStrat13.jpg

Found a shim, and lots of trash. This is one of my pet peeves. I'll be cleaning this out, and filing it all flat. Also notice how the wood is pulled at the top of the screwholes.

SquierStrat14.jpg

We'll get back to the neck and pocket during re-assembly. Moving on to the neck assembly, the tuners look crappy.

SquierStrat15.jpg

Turns out the protection stickers had never been removed. I also removed the CE sticker. It signifies compliance with some regulatory agency. Outta here...

SquierStrat16.jpg

The tuners and back of the neck look alot better now.

SquierStrat17.jpg

I'll be hitting the neck later with steel wool to remove the last bit of sticker residue and hopefully also to blend out the pale area that was under the CE sticker.

This next pic is to show you the tool I use to tighten the tuners to the neck. It's a micro ratchet from the Auto Parts store. Highly recommended. It has a 3/8 drive on one side with a deep 10 MM socket, and a 1/4 drive on the other side with a short 7/16ths socket. I use the 10 mm side to tighten the tuners. I use the other socket to tighten jacks. I have devoted this tool to guitar repairs and it is always as shown, and ready for use.

SquierStrat18.jpg

• Members

I also removed the CE sticker. It signifies compliance with some regulatory agency. Outta here...

Since this kickass thread is based on edumacation:

The CE symbol stands for "Certificate European" (but in French). The CE mark is required for any product to be sold in EU member states. The CE mark can be obtained by manufacturers by complying with industry specific directives issued by the European Commission. The directives ensure that the products carrying a CE mark are manufactured with a high level of quality, and are effective and safe to use. Since you are in DC - no regulatory agency will be beating down your door like you ripped the tag of a mattress or anything. :)

On with the polishing!!!

Archived