Polishing a turd

dcindc

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The first thing to know when you are gonna fix something is; what's wrong with it?

There are two important rules in troubleshooting.

The first rule is to always perform a thorough visual inspection, FIRST.

The second rule is the half-split method, which we don't use on guitars, only amplifiers.

So the MOST important step is a thorough visual inspection. If you learn nothing else, learn that.

I look the guitar over very carefully, in strong light, with any optical devices I might need. Such as glasses if you wear them, or a magnifying glass. I slowly twirl the guitar in the air without letting go of it, and let the reflected light point up any finish issues. I look at every inch of it from many different angles.

Here's what I saw when looking at this guitar prior to purchase.

The color is stunning. It is a deep rich red metalflake with lots of flake. I spotted it from across the room. :)

The jack is loose.

The intonation is set wrong. Yes, you can eyeball it.

There is a dent in the back of the neck, and on the corner of the headstock.

The neck doesn't look like it is fully seated in the neck pocket.

There is a finish mar of some kind on the front.

There is what looks to be some superglue residue around the bass side of the 17th fret.

The frets look ok, and not played much at all.

The fingerboard is not cracked, nor dirty, but it is a little dry.

The guitar is complete except for the whammy bar.

The tag says it comes with a soft case and a cord.

The serial numnber means it's a 2004 made by Cort. I've had bad luck with those before, but I'm open to that not being the rule.

Now to use my sense of touch.

The nut sticks out a bit far on the bass side of the fingerboard.

The frets are not sharp, but the ends can be felt.

The controls work without binding on the pickguard, but there are plastic pickguard coversheet remnants under the knobs, and I can feel them when turning the knobs.

The switch moves smoothly.

Nothing seems loose.

The bridge is setup in a floating position.

The strings are not horrible, but are dead.

I never sighted the neck, checked the relief, or played it. I never looked at the end of the truss rod. I should've done all of these things.

So I haggled and bought it.

My "inspection" took 2 minutes or less. Then I asked what the price could be. Which means I wasn't paying what it was priced at. Once I heard the new price I pointed out some of the issues. The sellers consulted, and a new price was offered. I accepted. I knew where it was gonna wind up before I even started, and beating them up any further is just rude and unproductive. I already had the best price at 27% off a fair price. They also threw in the tax which saved another 5% or so.

5 minutes for the whole deal. There's not a pile of money at risk here, and I liked the body color. I was already sold. As long as the guitar didn't have some glaring defect, I was gonna buy it.

They know that I come with money, and to buy, so the negotations were certainly helped along by that.

The soft case turned out to be a dirty Rok Sok with two cords (one good, one disposable), a set of strings and a solitary Music & Arts pick. Poor bastard's parents...

• Members

So I brought it home, took pics for the NGD, and plugged it in.

meh

The pups are a characture of what they should sound like, but are adequate for what most people are gonna do with it, which is dime their amp and bang chords. I swear SX pups sound better....

The switch is dirty. The pups have that characteristic where you feel the need to wring the neck of the guitar and beat the crap out of the strings to get it to have that "snap". Could be the dead strings tho....

I wasn't gonna do a before clip, and then I was, and then I played in preparation of making the clip, and then I couldn't think of anything to play, and it all kinda sounds like {censored} anyway. If there's a demonstrable improvement I'll do an after clip, but I'm not much on making clips. I'm lazy and it shows in my playing and poor production of my clips. But if you just HAVE to hear me, listen to these. or not.

edit: I wound up doing a "before" clip, in a later post.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/dcindc/Videos/

• Members

Here's pics of some of the issues I mentioned.

This is the schmutz on the fingerboard at the 17th fret.

SquierStrat3.jpg

This is the dent in the back of the neck.

SquierStrat4.jpg

This is the dent in the headstock.

SquierStrat5.jpg

This is the neck pocket to neck gap.

SquierStrat6.jpg

SquierStrat7.jpg

Archived