Great Rock Albums of the 80's

twofoolsaminute

• Members

One issued/problem/fact, as evidenced by some remarks on this thread, is the 80s were when people really started to get hung up on little labels and categories and subgenres.

What passed for "rock" in the 60s and 70s was pretty broad.

I think you're right, but the thing is, I think the bands did that too, probably more than the listeners. I can hardly think of an 80s guitar band that didn't deliberately squeeze themselves into some micro-genre in that way. That Zeppelin / Beatles kind of broad-church LP didn't really exist in the 80s much. Prince did it, but he's not really what you'd call rock most of the time either.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's a reasonable requirement that Rock should, well, rock, in order to earn the hallowed title.

Ummm, no. Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Chicago etc., etc. may not have "rocked" IMO but they were still rock bands.

• Members

Noun 1. rock-and-rollrock-and-roll - a genre of popular music originating in the 1950s; a blend of black rhythm-and-blues with white country-and-western; "rock is a generic term for the range of styles that evolved out of rock'n'roll."

Now there's the spirit of rock and roll right there. Every time I listen to "Long Tall Sally", I picture an angry man sat up late on the internet cutting and pasting from TFD.

• Members
Make it real
:love:

BUT...

Worst album covers

Animal Magnetism

Scorpions

Animal Magnetism (1980)

Mary deep-throats like a champ. Rosko loves to lick peanut butter. Which to choose? Which to choose?

I'm pretty sure this won't turn out to rock - it's more or less guaranteed it won't - but this, I'm certain, is the worst album cover of all time:

johnbult.JPG

How many wrong things are going on at once there?

• Members
I'm pretty sure this won't turn out to rock - it's more or less guaranteed it won't - but this, I'm certain, is the worst album cover of all time:

johnbult.JPG

Damn straight -- old bastard ain't sharing his beer and smokes with the little queenie! :lol:

• Members

johnbult.JPG

Yikes

Archived