Great Rock Albums of the 80's

twofoolsaminute

• Members

Wow, nobody has mentioned Metallica yet. I woulda thunk they woulda been posted early on. The 4 albums from the 80's were pretty damn good IMO.

Not really "rock" as such though, is it? They were {censored}ing great in the 80s though. And huge.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Ya know, this is actually a pretty good album!

pyromania.jpg

Ah come on... it's ok. But this shows what a barrel-scrape the 80s were for rock. If we were talking 70s or 90s, an LP this cheesy wouldn't be on anyone's radar at all.

• Members

it was me.. and rocks is a matter of opinion..

dose it spandex and panties and band mates dressed up as a cock sucking whore rock?

no,,

but Money For Nothing rocks... see the live aid show if you dont believe me..

• Members

Lots of great bands, and lots of great guitar bands too, but it's a bit of a stretch to define bands like The Cure, The Jesus And Mary Chain and New Order as rock, I think. Certainly, I reckon they would be horrified by the description.

You might say JMAC were ambivalent about it:

• Members

Not really "rock" as such though, is it? They were {censored}ing great in the 80s though. And huge.

I definately consider it rock just like the stuff from Iron Maiden. Different than Sabbath and Zeppelin but not so far removed to not call it rock IMO.

• Members

seems the detractors on this thread are trying to disqualify everything because it's not one particular type of rock music. Almost seems like a moving target. The idea that Metal is not rock is silly. Dire Straits not rock? Cars not rock? does not compute.

I think it's a reasonable requirement that Rock should, well, rock, in order to earn the hallowed title.

Dire Straits and The Cars Do Not Rock. In a bad way. Metal doesn't rock either, but in a really good way. The Metal is The Metal. You know?

• Members

One issued/problem/fact, as evidenced by some remarks on this thread, is the 80s were when people really started to get hung up on little labels and categories and subgenres.

What passed for "rock" in the 60s and 70s was pretty broad.

{censored} it, from now on rock and roll to me means Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Bill Haley, and Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps.

Archived