Great Rock Albums of the 80's

twofoolsaminute

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not really rock's decade the 80s. Lots of great bands, and lots of great guitar bands too, but it's a bit of a stretch to define bands like The Cure, The Jesus And Mary Chain and New Order as rock, I think. Certainly, I reckon they would be horrified by the description.

As far as the Stones go, Emotional Rescue, and Tattoo You are both pretty good, and Undercover has its moments, and they're all 80s. They were mostly a spent force in the studio after that, though, IMO.

I've got quite fond memories of that Cinderella LP near the start of the thread, in a guilty pleasures sort of way.

But no, what rules the 80s guitar bands-wise is on one hand all the stuff that span out of post punk - Talking Heads, Blondie and so on - and full-on metal, which was also a big deal in the 80s. I've no idea about the US, but Iron Maiden were a massive singles band all through the 80s in the UK, for example.

But I think both of those things are something different from rock per se, which was pretty cheesed out til it got a renaissance in the 90s. Like, say The Bends by Radiohead, that's a capital R rock LP.

• Members

Stone Roses debut is a funny one; it's right on the edge for me. I suppose if Sgt Pepper is Rock, then so is that, but it feels a bit too ethereal to be what I'd call Proper Rock.

I do love it though, it's still in my top ten LPs ever.

• Members

Wow, nobody has mentioned Metallica yet. I woulda thunk they woulda been posted early on. The 4 albums from the 80's were pretty damn good IMO.

or......

Men_at_Work_-_Business_as_Usual.jpg

I know someone will get pissy about it but I think it belongs. YMMV.

Archived