NewAmpDay

xStonr

• Members

Hello. I picked up the new VHT Special 6 head yesterday. After reading some good reviews I thought I'd give it a try. The specs sounded pretty good for my needs:

6 Watts

One 6V6 Output Tube

One 12AX7 Preamp Tube

Volume and Tone Controls

Footswitchable Boost Mode

High/Low Power Switch

4, 8, and 16 Ohm Speaker Jacks

Hand-wired In China

I have two speaker cabs available here so I decided I didn't need to go with the combo. I have a Lopo Line 1x12 with a 16 ohm Red Fang installed. Also a home made 2x12 with a Emi Wizard and a Hellatone. This cab can be wired either 4 ohm or 16 ohm depending on what amp I'm using.

Opening up the box I found it humorous that the amp housing is the same shape as the Epiphone Valve Jr, Blackheart Little Giant, and a few others. Besides that, it is solidly built.

I was pretty excited to try it out as we all are when we get some new equipment. Only to say I'm a little disappointed. The amp sounds a bit dark to my liking. I got this to maybe replace the Vox AC4TV I have but the Vox sounds much more crisp and sparkly than the VHT. I'll change some tubes, fool around with some settings and see what I can get out of it.

VHT01.jpg

VHT03.jpg

SP6CH_1m.jpg

VHT05.jpg

• Members
Have fun discovering it!

How dark? Only asking cos my orange is quite dark with my les paul (which I like), but really sparkly/spanky with my strat like Vigier (which I like too!!!
:)
)?

Borderline muddy to my ears. I'm playing a Tele through it.

After opening her up, the 12ax7 is a Sovtek (of course).I promptly changed it to a EH that I have which are know for being somewhat harsh. This may be the balance that I need. I have a vintage RCA 12ax7a in the on deck circle.

• Members

congrats on what looks like a great little amp on paper (and at a great price!). i think you should be able to get the sound you want by trying a different preamp tube. sovteks suck, in my experience.

It already sounds livelier with the EH.

• Members

Please keep us informed.....I was super psyched about this amp (combo vids sounded great). JJ's maybe? It's a 6V6 yes in the power section? Still, sounds like a cool platform to mess with, and sounds like you have a nice selection of cabs to try it with. Post a clip?

• Members

A tube change really helped open up the tone. And I only changed the preamp tube. I have some vintage (they were NOS when I bought them) 6v6's to try out also.

Also, as Frugal's Will Chen has stated, this amp loves pedals. I have to agree. With just a little gain dialed in on my Jekyll and Hyde, that parts Telecaster of mine just crunches away.

This is a sweet little amp that has lots of versatility. I'll be curious as to what mods will be available for it.

• Members
A tube change really helped open up the tone. And I only changed the preamp tube. I have some vintage (they were NOS when I bought them) 6v6's to try out also.

Also, as Frugal's Will Chen has stated, this amp loves pedals. I have to agree. With just a little gain dialed in on my Jekyll and Hyde, that parts Telecaster of mine just crunches away.

This is a sweet little amp that has lots of versatility. I'll be curious as to what mods will be available for it.

:cool:
BTW, I'm a fan of the 10" speakers myself. I love that tight sound.

EG

Archived