Buying gear at Best Buy?

rob999

• Members

Has anyone bought much as Best Buy?

I have to ask as my local BB has some decent deals, but I was wondering if you can get them to come down at all or is it just like the rest of the store?

I am hesitant to buy gear there but if the price is right.....

• Members

I bought a MIM Fender 60's Player Strat from my local Best Buy about 6 months age. Retail was $699 (I think), but they had it on clearence for $579. I played it and it sounded and felt great. I went back a couple of weeks later and it was down to $549. I asked the guy working there what was the best price that they could do? He said that since it was the last one that they had, he would sell it for $500. When I checked out, it rang up for $472!

• Members

I've had similar experiences at my local BB. You don't get what you don't ask for! They've had wiggle room on just about everything. The one time they couldn't budge on price was for a Yamaha acoustic-electric I bought my Wife. They were firm at $399 - but were willing to throw in a free stand and a pretty nice gig-bag.

• Members

They have a 72 Thinline Tele on clearence right now that I might try to get a deal on as well.

Mine has the same thing, a 72 thinline natural on clearance for $599, which is not bad. The also have a LP Classic for $1350. I usually buy used but these prices are decent.

• Members

I picked up a Gibson SG Faded that was $699 on the shelf and walked out with it for $559 + tax. Just asked what they could do for me. Very pleased with the guitar, although I also had them do a basic setup and wasn't as pleased. They did an OK job, although the action was way too low on the low E side and i had to tweak it up at the bridge to keep it from buzzing like crazy. It plays great now.

I like the lower pressure environment since they are not commission based, although the limited selection and the near zero inventory kinda sucks ... but for what they have I've been pleased. Also, I swear their guitars are intentionally set up poorly just so you buy a setup from them. I was planning to anyways to see if I liked it, but wow, just awful. I have a hard time thinking even a low end Epiphone would come out of the factory set up like some of those guitars are.

• Members

Also, I swear their guitars are intentionally set up poorly just so you buy a setup from them. I was planning to anyways to see if I liked it, but wow, just awful. I have a hard time thinking even a low end Epiphone would come out of the factory set up like some of those guitars are.

I was told that directly and seriously by one of the guys at my local Best Buy. His reasoning was that everyone preferred a different setup :facepalm:

• Members

A bad setup on an electric is one thing, they are easy to tweak. But on an acoustic it's really bad. I've played every guitar at my local best buy at least once a month for a year and the Taylors there have had consistently better setups than every other brand they carry. The Gibsons were terrible. The Martins were poor. The Fenders were terrible. The Takamine's were poor. Taylors were great.

The Taylors move way faster there than any other acoustic. My buddy on no advice from me got a mid-level Taylor there and it's just golden, perfect specimen.

• Members

Best Buy: Low prices, limited selection, little to no sales help. But if they've got something you like at the right price, why not? I can do my own setups.

Just don't make the mistake of confusing their music section for a "music store"...there was a pretty funny thread where a guy took a tube amp to get re-tubed and it didn't go well for him, probably because there was something else wrong with the amp besides the tubes. But obviously the Best Buy dude didn't know about tube amps either. Bottom line, don't expect any sort of "expertise" or knowledge about musical equipment from the BB staff. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

I was jsut at BB lasy month and they didnt have anything... I looked all over... just some beginer electric+amp kit

Not EVERY Best Buy is a Music Instrument Outlet (or whatever they call it) - only SOME of them. Most of the BB's are just regular Best Buys with the regular Best Buy products (which does include one or two of those "beginner" guitar packs).

a Few of them have a full Musical Instrument (guitars, amps, keyboards, etc.) section. One guy told me its being done on a "Sample test" program to see how it'll fly.

• Members

I was jsut at BB lasy month and they didnt have anything... I looked all over... just some beginer electric+amp kit

Freakishly at mine they have four great isolation rooms. One for acoustics, one for amplifiers, one for acoustic drums, and one for lessons. That's on top of a solid selection of guitars and gear. They have 3-4 nice electronic drum kits fully functional with headphones to jam on out in the main area. But everyone's right: no expert knowledge and no repair shop.

• Members

Just don't make the mistake of confusing their music section for a "music store"...there was a pretty funny thread where a guy took a tube amp to get re-tubed and it didn't go well for him, probably because there was something else wrong with the amp besides the tubes. But obviously the Best Buy dude didn't know about tube amps either. Bottom line, don't expect any sort of "expertise" or knowledge about musical equipment from the BB staff. Your mileage may vary.

True enough, but I'd say the same for most Guitar Centers.

Archived