Whats the deal with Robots?

Cpt Albatross

• Members

>>I mean do these things transform in to some sort of robot girlfriend with built in realistic vaginas? That {censored} is cool too, but what happens when I have to clean out the vagina?

It's no problem. It's like a self-cleaning oven, that flares to a high temperature and leaves nothing but ash.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. Line 6 was groundbreaking 10 years ago...but since then,
I just can't hear any difference in tone in the new stuff vs. the old stuff
. Sure, it's more fancy in how you can use those tones...but they do still sound like...the same tones...which really should be updated, IMO. I'd take a Robot over a Variax anyday...

That's because their isn't any. The underlying modeling software and algorithms hasn't changed.

• Members

That's because their isn't any. The underlying modeling software and algorithms hasn't changed.

And that's a real shame because listening to it now you can start to hear it's age compared to some of the newer stuff out. They were never considered boutique, but they had a following and a market. Got to keep innovating and improving or else they end up walking.

• Members

My big problem with the robots is my concern over what happens when something breaks or goes wrong... On a normal guitar, you can replace the neck, bridge and just about every other part on it. With the robot though, if the neck gets cracked, or the tuners stop working, your up the creek. You practically have to replace the entire guitar if something goes wrong, because all the parts are interconnected to one another. You take it to get repaired (once you find a repair shop that can actually get the necessary parts) and it will cost you a fortune.

Perhaps if I found one at a really good deal, I'd buy it. But I'm not willing to take my chances on these. That's my $0.02

• Members

And the other problem is that they will eventually become sentient, and then they'll want to either overthrow or enslave the human race. Then
we'll
have to tune
their
guitars.

Hmmm you dont see a lot of acoustic bass players.

• Members

My big problem with the robots is my concern over what happens when something breaks or goes wrong... On a normal guitar, you can replace the neck, bridge and just about every other part on it. With the robot though, if the neck gets cracked, or the tuners stop working, your up the creek. You practically have to replace the entire guitar if something goes wrong, because all the parts are interconnected to one another. You take it to get repaired (once you find a repair shop that can actually get the necessary parts) and it will cost you a fortune.

Perhaps if I found one at a really good deal, I'd buy it. But I'm not willing to take my chances on these. That's my $0.02

My les paul robot is a les paul studio with extra stuff added. Those extra robot goodies can be removed and you have a normal guitar. the tuner holes are exactly same, everything is a drop in replacement. The one exception is a small hole under the bridge to run the piezo element wires.

another common misconception is that there are wires inside the neck. nope. strings carry the electrical signals to the motors. also, the tuners are not heavier than regular tuners. in fact they're lighter. another misconception.

The reason I got a killer deal on me ebony fretboarded , bound necked silverburst robot is because many people feel the same way as you - think its all custom parts and the guitar is worthless if the parts break. not true. but ssshhh.. don't tell others. i like buying awesome guitars at closeout prices that don't measure up to luddite standards of what a guitar 'should' be.

• Members
My les paul robot is a les paul studio with extra stuff added. Those extra robot goodies can be removed and you have a normal guitar. the tuner holes are exactly same, everything is a drop in replacement. The one exception is a small hole under the bridge to run the piezo element wires.

another common misconception is that there are wires inside the neck. nope. strings carry the electrical signals to the motors. also, the tuners are not heavier than regular tuners. in fact they're lighter. another misconception.

The reason I got a killer deal on me ebony fretboarded , bound necked silverburst robot is because many people feel the same way as you - think its all custom parts and the guitar is worthless if the parts break. not true. but ssshhh.. don't tell others. i like buying awesome guitars at closeout prices that don't measure up to luddite standards of what a guitar 'should' be.

+1

The tuners are not heavier but bigger.... other than that, great guitar...

I got a ROBOT LP JR Special.... I paid less for the Robot than one without it...

one thing I have to agree... it could fail! I say this becuase mine is not working properly, but I will send it out to Gibson at no cost to me and they will repair it...

:thu:

• Members

i accidentally pulled on the tone knob that controls the robot features too hard so I broke mine haha.

Seriously though, it's super handy and if one wishes, it's completely easier to bypass any of the robot features. I got a Gibson SG Silverburst with an Ebony Fretboard for almost 300 dollars less than a Gibson Sg Standard and it can tune itself, if I want it to. What's not to like?

• Members
i accidentally pulled on the tone knob that controls the robot features too hard so I broke mine haha.

Seriously though, it's super handy and if one wishes, it's completely easier to bypass any of the robot features. I got a Gibson SG Silverburst with an Ebony Fretboard for almost 300 dollars less than a Gibson Sg Standard and it can tune itself, if I want it to. What's not to like?

your guitar sounds like total {censored}, you should definitely sell it to me :D

In all seriousness, pics? I've wanted to try one of those Robot SGs for a while

• Members

I've had a Les Paul Jr. Special Robot for about three weeks now and really like the guitar and the Robot features. So far, I've programmed it to do an open D tuning for when I want to play slide and used it to intonate the guitar. I don't gig, but even playing at home it is nice to be able to put the guitar in tune so easily. Replacing a broken string was fast too.

I think that Gibson has come out with the next generation of Robot and is looking to blow out the first gens.

The top picture of the LP Std Ltd 2010 Robot here:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard-2010-Limited.aspx

has a Robot dial that looks different than mine. It seems to show a large "E" in blue lights in the center of the master control knob. I don't recall seeing this display on mine.

• Members

i have the same guitar and feel the same exact way. just take out the tuners and it's the same thing except this a tiny pickguard hole. spent $850 which is almost half of what the regular silverburst/ebony board SG goes for. and i think ours may be a custom shop.

nothing has gone wrong in a year of regular gigging/traveling with the guitar. tuning is super easy and it's great to go 1/2 step down in less then 10 seconds or some open tuning. also great to retune halfway through a set in 5 seconds or so.

• Members
One of my mate does solo gigs, and regularly set up shop 1 hour before to start his show, when the pub is empty and colder.

He tunes his guitar before the show.

By the time all the people are in, it's warmer, and his guitars are detuned, this continuing through the night as more and more people get in. Then it gets too hot, and staff open doors to cool the place...... see where that goes?

He really fancies one of those robots exactly for that - to retune his guitar in between songs without having to repeatedly inflict it on his audience.

It does make sense. It has a use. It is practical.

Perhaps not for you - then pass on and don't buy and stop that narrow minded whinging.
:idk:

Great answer, makes perfect sense! :thu:

• Members

The Robot isn't a model, it's real strings as real tuning s through real pickups. And most alternate tuning aren't significant enough to alter the setup.

The Variax is nice for versatility but will probably always sound processed. It'll never quite have that natural feel. And I wouldn't hold out for fresher modeling. It's been nearly a decade since they've done major revisions on their amp models. The interfaces become more intricate, but the modeling software and how the models work haven't been changed since the Vetta I was launched in 2001. Software development at Line6 ground to a halt ages ago and there is currently no attempt to move that forward even though they are being surpassed on so many fronts. They seem content to develop hardware and interfaces.

I would bet in a blind test you could not accurately pick out in most cases which sound clips were from variaxs and which from their targetted models, especially in the context of a song.

Having significantly more dsp for its alternate tuning processing means a much tighter/responsive sound as well. A robot guitar with the push of a button cant instantly sound like an l4, then sound like a 12 string acoustic in dadgad, then a strat in bridge position, then a sitar.

Unless they are suddenly using different necks with synthetic inserts, changing tuning can alter the bow of the neck. For a drop D tuning, not a big dea, but when you get into lower range tunings like C modal, and various slide tunings (or baritone) it can be quite dramatic. The other unspoken aspect of course is the 'Feel' of playing strings tuned dramatically lower or higher than their targetting tension. Its like playing rubber bands.

• Members

I dont think they are better than a human ear. I remember most reviews of the guitar says the system itself is flawed as it can be a few cents off in some occasions. It doesn't sound like that much but compounded from string to string that could sound terrible. Give me my regular tuners please.

• Members

I dont think they are better than a human ear. I remember most reviews of the guitar says the system itself is flawed as it can be a few cents off in some occasions. It doesn't sound like that much but compounded from string to string that could sound terrible. Give me my regular tuners please.

wouldnt they use the exact same thing they use in tuners to tune the guitars? if the technology in tuners is good why would they bother inventing a new system to tune it? or did Gibson decide they wanted to spend alot of money making something completely new to replace something that is cheaper and works better?

Archived