Whats the deal with Robots?

Cpt Albatross

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would bet in a blind test you could not accurately pick out in most cases which sound clips were from variaxs and which from their targetted models, especially in the context of a song.

I've seen blind tests where this wasn't the case, but it's missing the point. Using a Variax to mimic a Les Paul/Strat/whatever is only one of the things it is useful for, and IMO one of the LEAST important ones.

It can also be used to

Fill in the holes in your gear that you would never use often enough to justify buying - 12 string, semi-hollow, dobro, banjo, etc.

Get single coil sounds without hum in noisy venues (this is the same reason that the Fender VG Strat has a modeled Strat sound as well as the normal Strat position).

Do alternate tunings more extreme than the Robot guitars will allow. One of my tunings lowers the bottom two strings an octave for bass and guitar on the same instrument.

Create pickup combinations that the manufacturers themselves do not offer. The same is true of wiring, I often like to wire the pickups in series, which is very easy on a Variax.

In short if you are not getting sounds that you like BETTER than conventional electric guitars, you aren't using a Variax to its best advantage.

It's like when electric guitars first came out. I'm sure that purists turned up their noses and claimed that they sounded nothing like a "real" aka acoustic guitar. They didn't, but they could make sounds that an acoustic couldn't dream of.

Anyway, back on topic, I like my Robot a lot, it cost me a couple of hundred dollars less than the equivalent non-Robot version, and is a better guitar even without the robot tuning - locking tuners are MUCH better than the normal "Gibson Deluxe" tuners, and the locking Neutrik jack is a plus.

• Members

I dont think they are better than a human ear. I remember most reviews of the guitar says the system itself is flawed as it can be a few cents off in some occasions. It doesn't sound like that much but compounded from string to string that could sound terrible. Give me my regular tuners please.

I will test my psychic powers and speculate that this post is based on never having used the robot tuning.

• Members

The straight answer is simple. The guitar tunes itself in a number of different tunings. It really is that simple. If that is something you want...great. I have a Robot SG and I can tell you that mine is a great SG...period...the tuning thing is icing on the cake.

Archived