I guess a modeler still has its place...

Jkater

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I also have a GT-8 and I like it. I installed one of the free software apps so I can tweak it from my computer, don't remember which one at the moment. I have tried the 4 cable method into a Fender Ultra Chorus but didn't like the sound as much as plugging it directly into a keyboard/pa amp. A couple of nights ago I used it with headphones for the first time and was astonished at how much better it sounded. I guess I need a better pa.
:)

I'm the opposite, I have a V-amp 2 that I've only used with headphones. I just ordered this keyboard amp for it, and I wonder how it'll sound. :confused:

• Members

I've got the POD 2.0. I think the best tones are either completely clean, or high gain. I have a hard time dialing in a good crunchy, Med/Light gain tone.

I think the X3 manages that quite well.. Took me about 10 minutes to come up with this patch last night.

• Members

I got the original Pod when it first came out. Upgraded to the XT. Next came Pod Farm on my computer. Now I use Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube 3 and the free years use of Waves GTR Solo. I definitely have seen the digital modeling products getting better tonewise, especially the elusive slight overdrive tones. Everyone loves the sound of a mic'd tube amp, but it's time consuming and few of us own the dozens of amps available on modelers and modeling software. Usually we own a small number of good tube amps, while modeling offers great models of many amps. Bottomline is , it's the player open-mindedness and creativity that matters, tube or digital.

• Members

A couple of tips for you guys with the GT-8.

1. If you like the GT-8, upgrade to the GT-10. It's a big difference in quality. The A/D convertors are better and many of the COSM models have been updated. IMO it was a great upgrade, especially considering it has a built in LOOPER. I highly recommend the GT-10 ( I had the GT-8)

2. Noise Suppressors and high cut EQ's. The Noise Supressors are sometimes the culprit of "grainy" or "fizzy" sounds during the decay of notes. TURN THEM OFF!!! And BOSS usually provides TWO! One "Global" one and one per patch in the chain. Don't forget to turn them BOTH off! Then, IF and only IF you NEED it- turn ONE on and dial it in gently. Also, in the global settings, try using a HIGH CUT EQ, roll off around 2K or 3K - I just got that tip for my VG-99 and I must admit, it made a big difference in making the thing sound much more "amp like"!

:thu:

Cool, thanks for the tips! I've been getting pretty frustrated at the noise suppressor function, but sometimes I need it just to keep my rig from feedbacking at the worst moments.

Also, thanks for giving me GAS for the GT-10. I needed that... really. The GT-8 has really blown me away in terms of what can be done in a floor unit. I had a Pod XT Live and it never did it for me, but I find myself jumping back and forth between premade patches and being surprised at how great they sound in a band mix, especially once I started using the dual preamp settings. That's some incredible stuff.

Is the CTL-2 pedal like... just another bonus pedal that I can use to assign to something, because if so, that's pretty cool. I'm always one pedal short when I decide how I'm going to map everything on the GT-8.

edit: Crap, and it's got a USB out? Damn you, BryanMichael... damn you.

• Members

I like modelers for direct recording, low volume jamming and occasional headphone use. I like tube amps and pedals for loud playing and microphone recording. I like SS amps for their unique crisp quality...especially clean. I guess I'm not much of a hater.

• Members

i just bought one of these

313640.jpg

it's a valve preamp and DI

i plugged a guitar straight into it tonight and loaded up amplitube live (which i got for $15)

damn... what a difference... sounded bloody nice

cool thing is it has a 'thru' next to the DI... which takes your original signal back out... i think from now on i'll record my guitar straight into this on one track... then then go out of it into a mic'd amp to be recorded at the same time... i can then tweak my clean track with modeling software

time to pony up for amplitube 3 i think

• Members

I use a Zoom G2.1u as a headphone amp, and it does a really good job for that. I've also used it plugged into a PA and a Crate Taxi, and it does are good job for that. I haven't used it much in the effects loop of an amp, because I don't really like the amp/cab simulations through an amp made for electric guitar -- imo it colors the tone too much, so it sounds way different than through the headphones...

• Members

313640.jpg

i plugged a guitar straight into it tonight and loaded up amplitube live (which i got for $15)

cool thing is it has a 'thru' next to the DI... which takes your original signal back out... i think from now on i'll record my guitar straight into this on one track... then then go out of it into a mic'd amp to be recorded at the same time... i can then tweak my clean track with modeling software

cool never seen one them afore..

amplitube is great fun.. it intimidates me with how much control you have over every little thing.. almost too many variables.. guess thats why i dont really choose it over my Guitar Rig 4.. but i slowly getting more use to it..

the cabs and Pedal board are really nice and the rack FX..

great stuff...

• Members

313640.jpg

I wish I had NOT seen that! I now have GAS. I've heard a few different tube preamp setups mixed with modeling. It seems to work pretty well and brings a favorable coloration to the sound.

• Members

My teacher inserted a bedspread in a curtain to cover the door of his studio and it does a real good job at limiting the noise.

It's a cheap way to make your walls and doors soudproof!

I don't know if anybody else has some tricks???

• Members

313640.jpg

OK, that is insane. :lol:

I bought a little tube preamp a few years ago to use with my ampsims and it helped a bit, but I did notice that in order to really get any benefits from what I suppose would be even order harmonics I had to overdrive it just a bit.

It did help, but damn $800 is a good chunk of change.

• Members

OK, that is insane.
:lol:

I bought a little tube preamp a few years ago to use with my ampsims and it helped a bit, but I did notice that in order to really get any benefits from what I suppose would be even order harmonics I had to overdrive it just a bit.

It did help, but damn $800 is a good chunk of change.

there's tube preamps and there's tube preamps... i've owned cheap ones before and none of them touch this

i didn't buy this for DI'ing guitars... i bought it for recording vocals... acoustic guitars... and as a bass DI (which it excels at)... also to throw keys through and for mic'ing guitar cabs

using it as an electric guitar DI is a bonus... i wouldn't spend $1000 (here in australia) on a pre just for that

my point was that modeling software can be improved when a nice preamp is used in front of it... and i like the idea of using modeling in conjuction with a mic'd amp... whatever works

• Members

my point was that modeling software can be improved when a nice preamp is used in front of it... and i like the idea of using modeling in conjuction with a mic'd amp... whatever works

Dave, I bought an ART Studio V3 preamp a couple of years ago. It's nothing too fancy but I'm hoping usable nonetheless. Would it be a good idea to put it between my guitar and my POD? Also, would changing the tube for a better one improve things further? Here's the one I'm referring to:

368172.jpg

• Members

313640.jpg

Can this thing be used as a headphone amp???

• Members

Dave, I bought an ART Studio V3 preamp a couple of years ago. It's nothing too fancy but I'm hoping usable nonetheless. Would it be a good idea to put it between my guitar and my POD? Also, would changing the tube for a better one improve things further? Here's the one I'm referring to:

edit: i'd just try it and see what you think

• Members

Had a pod 2 but gave it away after getting an old tonelab tt...but should have held on to it :facepalm:

Anyway, I now use the tonelab as the pre-amp into an old 1949 Bogen PH10, pp 6v6 mono block (sans pre amp)...right into the phase inverter. It brought the tonelab to life, the cab/speaker sims actually do something and the gain on the Bogen is like the master volume. Certainly there are sweet spots but can go from late night to blowing out the house.

Bogen_PH10.jpg

Archived