Power attenuators? Build your own.

hardtdc

• Members

There's a DIY version of the Dr. Z / Trainwreck AirBrake that's over at The Amp garage forum that's pretty good.

I built an airbrake clone and use it all the time with my Marshall 2061. Fun little project that is really useful.

• Members

I just use a $15 L-Pad from Parts Express, but it definitely sucks some tone.

Put a treble bypass cap over it. I probably used the exact same l-pad and it does (as do all of them) suck some tone. The cap helped a lot.

But I also found that I was able to compensate for a lot of it with just the amps treble knob.

Here's one that I built a while back that I mounted on a homemade ampstand (attenuator is on the bottom).

01020002.jpg

• Members

There's a DIY version of the Dr. Z / Trainwreck AirBrake that's over at The Amp garage forum that's pretty good.

I actually built a different one out of one of these:

SKY6010.jpg

It's one of those in wall volume controls rated at 100W....

How did you do that? Any links?

• Members

I use the bigass Lpads from parts express. Get the 50 watt or higher models.

If they are good enough to use in the crossovers of my home built reference speaker systems, they are good enough to use for an attenuator.

As said, use a treble bleed cap if you are turning it down to a micro watt.

• Members

Here's one:

They sound a lot better than I thought they would and took the full output of

my 100W Laney for hours on end. I really tried to kill it and it survived.

The one I have is a Nutone and I got it for free at my job....

How did you build it though? That is what I was asking. I can't see the back from the pics and I was wondering how hard it is to hook up to a simple project box with 2 1/4 jacks?

• Members

How did you build it though? That is what I was asking. I can't see the back from the pics and I was wondering how hard it is to hook up to a simple project box with 2 1/4 jacks?

It's super easy, they have screw terminals, just stick the stripped wire in and screw it down. +/- in and +/- out..... These things are 2 channel, but you only need one.

300-552_lI.jpg

Another weird thing about them is that they show an 8ohm load to the amp no matter what speakers you have hooked up on the output...

• Members

I actually built a different one out of one of these:

It's one of those in wall volume controls rated at 100W....

The AirBrake would be a good one to build. I own one and it's very transparent unlike most attenuators which are horrible tone suckers.

• Members

It's super easy, they have screw terminals, just stick the stripped wire in and screw it down. +/- in and +/- out..... These things are 2 channel, but you only need one.

300-552_lI.jpg

Another weird thing about them is that they show an 8ohm load to the amp no matter what speakers you have hooked up on the output...

Cool. That sounds easy enough! :thu: How is the tone through it? Is there much tone "suckage"?

• Members

I use the bigass Lpads from parts express. Get the 50 watt or higher models.

If they are good enough to use in the crossovers of my home built reference speaker systems, they are good enough to use for an attenuator.

As said, use a treble bleed cap if you are turning it down to a micro watt.

How is a treble bleed cap wired? Is that just a cap bridging the input/output? What values do you use? I'd love for my L-Pad to not sound so poopy. I'd use my 18 Watt TMB way more often.

Archived