The "I Just Discovered Dimebag" Thread!

evh1984

• Members

I never liked Pantera back when they came out.

All the rednecks I knew idolized Dimebag, and since they also idolized camoflage, deer horns and shotgun racks, I never paid attention to Dimebag when he was around.

Same goes for Zakk Wylde pretending he and Abbott were teh brootal biker pals all these years. It just shut my ears to Dimebag Darrell Abbott.

The other day I stumbled across a youtube vid of Dime teaching how to do tremelo harmonic sqeals, which was quite good. He had a very disarming and everyman personality.

He could actually bring it on the guitar. I looked into his past and discovered he was a very accomplished player pre-Pantera.

I wish I'd have discovered him sooner.

[YOUTUBE]6TpYcA9bSaU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

aside from the tone, i like dime's works. riffs/solos alike. never saw them live before but from the videos i saw he was very confident in executing his solos.

mind you, they dont have 2nd guitarists backing up the song so it'd be just drums and bass accompanying, which i think is cool since his guitar would just stood out in the mix.

• Members

I was a lot like you in the fact that I had a lot of friends who really dug Pantera in the mid-late 90s. To me, it sort of just seemed like noise. I checked out their albums around 2004 and discovered they really do have a lot of cool songs. My personal favorite is the "Reinventing the Steel" album. I'm not sure if it's cool with "true" Pantera fans or if they see it like the Black album or something. But it has some awesome songs. Darell's playing was sort of organized anarchy... it was very chaotic, but he always had parts that brought it back. I don't like the more "punk" influenced chaotic songs that sound like noise, but I think stuff like "Revolution is My Name", "Goddamn Electric", "I'm Broken", "Five Minutes Alone", "Cowboys From Hell", "Cemetery Gates", and stuff like that are really cool.

I'm also a big fan of the first Down album "NOLA". I've been meaning to pick up their other albums.

• Members

Didn't the guy from Keel play the solos on the records?

I never liked his playing or him. I remember thinking it was lame when he went from being 'Diamond Lance' to Diamond Darral to Dimebag.

Why do you keep spreading this bull{censored} ? I even pointed out to you an interview before that Marc Ferrari from Keel admited he only helped them with that terrible {censored}ing song proud to be loud and you just ignored it. I'm not a huge pantera or Dime fan, but he's from the same area as me and I saw Dime back in the 80's NAIL Van Halen and Randy Rhodes solos/songs to a T. He could play classical,jazz and country from a very early age, so no he wouldn't need some guy from Keel to play solos on his records.His stuff on the pantera records was nothing like what he could really play.The guy could smoke anyone on this forum in just about any style. FACT.

• Members

Darrell and Vinnie were the "cool" older kids down the street, I saw Pantera play a party in 1983, way before he was called "Dimebag", just a skinny kid with a cool guitar and big poofy hair.

Those were great times, I feel really bad for Vinnie seeing his brother die in front of him.

• Members

I never liked the vocals in Pantera, but I always though the guitar riffs were cool. I don't know that much about Dimebag other than Pantera.

Before Phil Anselmo, the singer was Terry Glaze and they were a big hair glam band, I have pics of Darrell in spandex and makeup from the early 80's.

I never liked Phil, he always came across as arrogant the few times I met him when he first joined Pantera.

• Members

Dime Played stellar riffs and mediocre solos, but what I thought was the worst thing about him was his choice in guitars. His custome Dean, and later on Washburn series, were some of the ugliest shaped guitars I've ever seen. I like the first 4 Pantera albums(Never heard RTS), but the guitar tone was very compressed.

• Members

"Hells yeah, chuggin beer, and tearin up {censored}."

and the problem is ?

sounds like rock-n-hole to me :thu:

I live in Dallas and ran into dime quite a few times and he was a genuine dude.

he would always have time to slam a black tooth grin and talk {censored} with anybody that approached him.

he did not have the im a rockstar get the {censored} away from me attitude.

when he was 15 he would enter all the git contests around the city and would win every damn one of them.

RIP brother you are missed.

Archived