SOT why is it so hard to pick a Cab?

nuke_diver

• Members

Ever since I got my Mesa I've been looking for a cab to replace using the Crate since I "think" it would be better...but it's driving me crazy.

My first preference would be CL but pretty much the only thing on seems to be 4X12. I'm a bedroom player and I only need a 1X12 at the most. Then there are the options ...plywood..is it birch? Birch ...is it 13 ply...open back, closed back convertible...two jacks...extension cab (WTF is an extension cab?), loaded with speaker xxx, unloaded

And the prices seem to range from about 100 -> several hundred..

I think my head is going to explode :evil::evil::evil:

Sorry I had to rant...back to checking ebay/CL to see if I can score a deal :idea:

• Members

As obvious as it may sound, I've always had the best luck using Mesa cabs with Mesa amps

I think you have the Transatlantic? They do make a nice portable 1X12 cab for it. The amp was designed around this cab so it's a safe bet.

Yes, you can get cheaper stuff, but it will always be a crap shoot.

• Members

Been on the lookout for a used Mesa for that reason though the price seems to be a bit out of line IMO for used Mesa gear

Right now I have Avatar, Coyote Cabs, White Box (possibly) and Crystal Cabs on the radar. Of those Crystal..though there isn't a lot of information about them seems to be a good deal...$150 loaded with a Jensen Mod12-50. Supposed to be a baltic Birch cab and the Jensen while not super is pretty OK IMO since I have the Mod12-35 in the crate. I'm leaning that way since for $150 if the cab is well made it still comes out $50 cheaper than an Avatar or Coyote unloaded.

Best would be a used cab I can check out locally but no luck so far. Biggest problem for these cabs, I can buy them but cannot test them. At least with amps and guitars I have a pretty good chance of being able to play one first before buying.

Mr Sully let me know if you have any insights I appreciate your expertise :wave:

• Members

The real question is what type of sound do you want? I have played a Mesa through two different Marshall cabs (loaded with Celestion speakers) for many years and have loved them both for a driving sound. I use the combo's Black Shadow speaker for a cleaner sound.

Right now, my set up is also in a smaller room. I have a 2x12 Marshall, and it is fine (not too overpowering, and get the nice low end).

• Members

I have a Crate 112 that was sold with the Power Blocks. It has a stock Celestion G12 K-100. I usually see them going for around $100. Has worked out great for just about every amp I have run through it. If you're looking for cheap keep an eye out for one.

• Members
What's wrong with headphones for bedroom levels?

And I'm not trying to be a smart-ass.

I hate wearing headphone when I play (I do when I'm recording sometimes) and my amp has no headphone out anyways

Saturn...I'm using a Crate V18 as a cab now...I think it might be a better sound with a better made cabinet (Not MDF) and I can move my Crate to our practice room as a second amp in case we get a second guitarist to join us :idea:. I currently have my AD30 there but it cannot keep up with Drummer/bass

I'm leaning that way Carbo...but there are just so many options...I'm a newbie at cabs and am overwhelmed. The Crystal Cabs are the leading contender because they are cheaper loaded than other are unloaded and as near as I can see they are similar materials....but I cannot touch any of them :mad:

• Members

I personally didn't give a crap what kinda cab I got. We got a Crate 220GT (something like that) head for $50.

Then imy friend anbd I were set on finding any cab that had matching ohms. We found a free Crate cab and a Behringer cab (both 4x12). Now we've got a full stack in my basement. Sounds good to me! I'm not picky, I just like to rock. Not a gearhead whatsoever.

• Members

I don't 'need' a cab at all, but just on a what if, I ended up buying an entire Avatar 2x12 including the speakers from a guy that bought an AxeFX and decided to get rid of his amp and cab.

I bought the empty cab for $100, then a Vintage 30 for $75, sold it with an amp for a $75 upgrade (so I slightly profited from the speaker by being able to keep the original speaker which I later sold for $45) and later bought his G12H30 for $60.

Put a couple JBL K120s in the cab... play Fender amps through them when I want them to be loud and clear.

So basically, I just bought whatever fell into my lap. :lol:

• Members

Now there's a switch HCEG telling me not to buy something :wave:

I think I have a buying bug....cause I didn't spend all my bonus this quarter...or last. And quarter end is coming so there might be another one

But the current setup also works so the research will continue...perhaps someone will convince me or I'll just find a good deal

• Members

You folks who say "I don't see how it matters for bedroom playing" WTF? I love hearing great tone from my gear no matter where I am playing. It's part of the joy of playing the guitar. In fact, I get a great deal of satisfaction out of hearing my guitar, and ONLY my guitar, through a great amp even if I'm using an attenuator. You can get amazing tone at low volumes if you know what you're doing.

Headphones are fine when there are NO other options, but I like to feel the power of a loudspeaker moving air.

• Members

An extension cab is just a term for a speaker cab - usually designed to match a combo amp that allows for external cabs. They have the same look as the combo and can usually be stacked.

I grabbed a 1x12 line 6 cab off cl for $90. Sounds good to my ears. My friend uses ear candy cabs, but they are a little pricey. Tons of cabs on eBay. Tons of choices out there. If you don't like the sound you can swap the speaker. Just make sure the speaker is the exact ohm rating as your amp if it's a tube amp! With wattage ratings, a higher rated speaker might sound more tight/sterile, while a lower wattage rating could sound looser and might break up quicker ( ie, not stay clean at higher volumes). Vintage 30s are very popular 60 watt speakers. Celestion 25w greenbacks have a much quicker breakup. A lot of Mesa people I know like 200 watt EV speakers in a closed back design. Depends what you want your speaker to do.

• Members

knowing what style music you play, your speaker preferences, and whether you need/want a 4x12 vs 2x12 are all things that you look at.

I know I like Celestion speakers, want a lot of low end response, and don't like the way openback cabs sound so I always end up with a Marshall 1960 4x12.

• Members

I bought a knackered {censored}ty looking home made cab for next to nothing as it was fitted with 2 old Celestion 25 watt greenbacks, which I took out, and binned the cab.

Then, a bit later, I bought a Marshall 1922 (the small 2x12) with one knackered speaker for next to nothing (it sounded DREADFUL, which got the price down), so I binned the bad speaker, sold the other one on Ebay, and fitted the greenbacks to the 1922.

Result, 1 sweet sounding vintage toned 2 x12 that is very portable, sounds great and cost me less than 50 quid!

Sometimes the less obvious route can pay off!

Good luck man!

:thu:

• Members

Definitely not getting a 4X12 or even a 2X12 since I think it will be way too much for my little room. And I agree with you Doc, I do like to have good sound, getting the Mesa has actually helped inspire me further so maybe a good cab would too.

Good thoughts Marc, might not be a bad idea to look for something that you can part out. That's one reason the crystal cab looks interesting. Seems to be well made and the reviews that I can find are good...I could get that for $150 and if I didnt like the speaker shop around to eventually get something like a V30 or a greenback like you did.

Archived