I bagged me a blonde (NGD)

Faber

• Members

Yeah, so it's a horrible pickture, but the guitar is nicer than my photography let on :D

An '05 MIJ Tokai ES120 with a set of Duncan 59s in it. It's a feather weight, the sound is clear and full, the action was outstanding and I tend to believe the previous owner when he said that he never used it - It is practically mint. Much like said owner it was however caked in grime and nicotine when I got it, so it took a bit of cleaning and the gig bag was so dirty that I threw it out. I need to give the pickup covers another go to get the last off of them.

I payed 1/3 of what I payed for my Ibanez Scofield new, and so far I'd say the Tokai is every bit the instrument that the Ibanez is. Which, makes me feel a bit :facepalm: when I think about it. They sound different enough to justify having both though

tokai006.jpg

• Members

Not that i'm particularly good at describing tone but I'd say the Ibanez is brighter and have a bit less bass with the Tokai being a bit fuller overall. The Ibanez is lower output. The Ibanez also have a certain percussivness to the attack that have always made me think of an arch top or accoustic guitar - by comparison the Tokai have more traditional semi/electric attack (if that makes sense at all)

• Members

Not that i'm particularly good at describing tone but I'd say the Ibanez is brighter and have a bit less bass with the Tokai being a bit fuller overall. The Ibanez is lower output. The Ibanez also have a certain percussivness to the attack that have always made me think of an arch top or accoustic guitar - by comparison the Tokai have more traditional semi/electric attack (if that makes sense at all)

It does make sense. Thanks.

• Members

Thanks.

Ibanez call them Super 58s - AFAIK it's their take on a classic PAFish humbucker. It's certainly of that family. Some of the tonal differences might also be down to the Ibanez having an ebony fretboard vs the rosewood on the Tokai

• Members

Those are both nice. It's hard to find those in the US. I think you have to get them from Japan or the UK.

o.versteer> did you also change the bridge on yours?

No, all the other hardware is the original Gotoh stuff. It's good quality so I haven't bothered changing it, it was just the original Tokai pickups that were a bit underwhelming. I'm by no means a pickup geek, but the difference between them and the Antiquities was night and day.

Archived