Is putting new pickups in a signature series guitar pointless?

MuyLoCo444

• Members

Just wondering because I thought about doing this to my Musicman and Wolfgang, and then I realized the stock pickups were designed for those guitars with a special reason. I've changed pickups in Strats and Les Pauls before but not guitars designed by famous players. So what do you all think about changing pickups in signature series guitars?

• Members

When I bought my Gary Moore sig Les Paul, the pups had already been swapped for 57 classics but the original burstbuckers were given with it. Now I'm thinking to put the BB's back partly because 1) they can't be that bad, 2) it would restore the Gary Moore to its original state and 3) it would free up those nice 57 classics for another guitar, possibly the SA2200.

• Members

Which would make the "signature guitar" idea pointless ... as they are made to sound like the guitar of the guy who has put his signature on it.

Not really. If you like everything else. The woods, the bridge, the fretboard radius, but you just can't stand the pickups, there's nothing wrong with changing them.

• Members

Not really. If you like everything else. The woods, the bridge, the fretboard radius, but you just can't stand the pickups, there's nothing wrong with changing them.

I don't think you read what I wrote ... What's the point of buying a Buckethead signature guitar, change the pickups, and then it sounds like a Slash Les Paul? Not to mention the extra money you pay ... twice!

Pointless untertaking if you ask me, better buy a guitar that feels and sounds good wihout a silly signature on it. Signature guitars are a nice marketing gimmick though. Now you can be Buckethead!

• Members

I don't think you read what I wrote ... What's the point of buying a Buckethead signature guitar, change the pickups, and then it sounds like a Slash Les Paul? Not to mention the extra money you pay ... twice!

Pointless untertaking if you ask me, better buy a guitar that feels and sounds good wihout a silly signature on it. Signature guitars are a nice marketing gimmick though. Now you can be Buckethead!

What ur saying is what I was sort of implying.

• Members

Swap away.

If I had a EBMM EVH and didn't gel with it, I would probably sell it off and buy something else instead of changing things out. Partly because they have appreciated so much, and partly because, IIRC, they have a proprietary mounting system.

But otherwise, if you aren't 100% happy with the guitar's tone, it's a mental block that keeps you from reaching past it for other guitars. If you aren't comfortable with it, you won't use it. And it's just gonna collect dust.

• Members

I think some of these are more 'what would I like in a guitar' (I being SRV or whomever) rather than what SRVs guitar actually was. His pickups werent really hot like the ones they sell I dont think. Eric Johson is another one, If I were to get an Eric Johson Strat it would be a 57RI, juts like he played a 56 or whatever stock with 7.25 radius not 12" or whatever his specs are.

Bill Lawrence designed the pickups for the Danny Gatton model and he said something to the effect, "why would anyone want thier guitar to sound like this?" lol

• Members

I bought my CS EC Strat for 3 things, in order:

The neck

The Mid-boost

The pickups

Although I like the vintage noiseless pu's if something came along that caught my ear I'd prob. try them. I wouldn't switch out the other 2 items though.

• Members

yes but for whatever reason BL was contracted to do the CS pickups...I forget the story why JOe Barden didnt do them, but I recall that quote about how BL did not like how they sounded.

Oh, I hate Barden's, way too shrill for me, but they have a huge fan base.

Got to hear Bill Kirchen the one gig he tried out Fralins and everyone agreed he sounded so much better...everyone but Kirchen (the person who had not clue as to what he sounded like from the audience), so the Bardens were back in the next day.

Lawerence may have had to replicate the PU's when Barden was out of business for a while.

• Members

A signature guitar is just a vanity by the person who buys it as they probably dont sound anything like the artist whos signature is on it and it probably isnt really the same as the so called great players actual guitar any way so its yours to alter and become your signature guitar.I have a Squier Biffy Clyro CV strat but have never heard of Simon Neil or the band .I bought it because its a nice guitar and RED. :-)

Archived