Classic videos

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored} I own those speakers. Have since 1977. One of the classic speakers of the era, Pioneer HPM-100s. A great audiophile grade speaker that will thump your chest and replicate brass or vocals to where you can close your eyes and believe they're there (if you have a Shefield labs record ;)) They are upside down in this vid because although they were monsters, they were "bookshelf" speakers meaning they had to be off the floor. If you didn't use a speaker stand, sometimes people would just flip them upside down to prevent the woofer from coupling with the floor which would result in a muddy sound. But having the midrange and two tweeters near the floor wasn't ideal either, but better than having the woofer at floor level.

Well, most of my faves have already been posted.

Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
Don't Come Around Here No More

But this one really stuck with me.

A bit reminiscent of Ratso in Midnight Cowboy
cellu11.jpg
"I'm Walkin Here"

[YOUTUBE]Zx3m4e45bTo[/YOUTUBE]

Still to this day I don't quite understand exactly what sampling part caused the Stones to sue these poor lads for copyright infringement.

• Members
Loved those leggy vapid women in the Robert Palmer vids.
:love:

Definitely! :love::love:

A fave "guilty pleasure of mine", one of the hottest "chick bands" of the era that also captured the new wave punk sound and attitude of that era.

[YOUTUBE]-_1BGKNk85M&ob[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]SEU5vXmE5mU[/YOUTUBE]

And a little less punk, little more pop, but a chunk more heart throb ;)

[YOUTUBE]BWP-AsG5DRk[/YOUTUBE]

From calculus, this is where "cute" approaches infinity.
[YOUTUBE]lAZgLcK5LzI&feature[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Still to this day I don't quite understand exactly what sampling part caused the Stones to sue these poor lads for copyright infringement.

Classic vids from the MTV peak? I think you're about 15 years off with this one!

What they did was sample the bells and somewhat the melody of an orchestrated version of "the last time". This..

[YOUTUBE]bpbjRYtdavQ[/YOUTUBE]

which in and of itself doesn't sound a whole lot like the stones version. But of course the stones probably have the copy right on that version. This wiki description is good:

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a licence to use a sample from the Oldham recording, but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample.[5] Despite having original lyrics, the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" is partially based on the Oldham track, which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company that owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.

"We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing," says band member Simon Jones. "They rung up and said, 'We want 100 percent or take it out of the shops, you don't have much choice.'"[6]

After losing the composer credits to the song, Richard Ashcroft commented, "This is the best song Jagger and Richards have written in 20 years"[7][dead link] noting it was their biggest hit since "Brown Sugar".[6]

The song was later used, against the will of the band, by Nike in a shoe commercial.[when?] As a result, it was on the Illegal Art CD from the magazine Stay Free!. The song was also used in a Vauxhall Motors advertisement and several of Opel, prompting Ashcroft to declare onstage at their homecoming performance at Haigh Hall, Wigan, in May 1998, "Don't buy Vauxhall cars, they're {censored}."[citation needed] However, the band were able to stop further use of the song by employing the European legal concept of moral rights.[citation needed]

On Ashcroft's return to touring, the song traditionally ended the set list. Ashcroft also reworked the single for "VH2 Live" for the music channel VH1, stripping the song of its strings. Ashcroft is quoted as saying during the show: "Despite all the legal angles and the bull{censored}, strip down to the chords and the lyrics and the melody and you realise there is such a good song there."[citation needed]

He also dedicated the song to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards during a gig at the Sage Gateshead in Gateshead. After several audience members booed, Ashcroft exclaimed, "Don't boo, man. As long as I can play this song I'm happy to pay a few of those guys' bills."[citation needed]

In a Cash For Questions interview with Q magazine published in January 1999, Keith Richards was asked (by John Johnson of Enfield) if he thought it was harsh taking all The Verve's royalties from "Bitter Sweet Symphony," to which he replied, "I'm out of whack here, this is serious lawyer {censored}. If The Verve can write a better song, they can keep the money."

Needless to say I personally think it was a pretty dirt bag move on the part of the stones, their record company, and their lawyers.

• Members

which in and of itself doesn't sound a whole lot like the stones version. But of course the stones probably have the copy right on that version. This wiki description is good:

Thanks for posting that. That clears up some {censored} in my mind about Keef and the boyz. I'm a huge Stones fan but had never heard that recording before. That is a hell of a lot more than sampling. No wonder.

Archived