Talk me out of buying the Mesa Transatlantic Head

burton4snow

• Members

This is on my radar right now. I have several of these mini amps (egnator, orange, blackheart, blackstar) and I still feel like I am not getting the clarity I want out of my sound. People have suggested different speakers which I have tried through the break in period and thats helped a little and all my guitars have upgraded high end pickups in them. So my deduction is my amps (of course it couldn't be my playing:lol:) Maybe you have to spend around a grand to get good tone and clarity. Anyways talk me out of it or point me in a new direction or tell this is a good solution?

By the way thanks for talking me out of buying a strat!

• Members

Just put a BBE Sonic Stomp in the effects loop of my Blackstar HT5 (another suggestion I followed) and I am really liking it. This might do the trick and for only 100 bucks. Its too soon to tell. People have said it kills your harmonics and makes distortion sound muddy. I think thats completely opposite. Notes are popping out all over the place. This thing is cool. It's like I can't turn it off it sounds like {censored} if I do. Yeah!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I cannot talk you out of it because I posted something very similar several weeks ago...then I tried one and I loved it

So I bought one. Yes the Mesa is expensive but it is well made and give you a lot of options in what it can do. It isn't for everyone because it has no reverb or effects loop and that kills it for some but not for me. The cleans are gorgous and the 2 channel has pretty much killed my distortion pedal. I am particular fond of the Boost on the green channel and HT1 on the red channel myself.

I did get mine "used" on ebay for about 25% off the new price but I cannot find what was used about it

• Members

I recently discovered the Xotic RC Booster. I have mine at the end of my pedal chain right before the vibe, delay and reverb pedals. It also works well in an fx loop. Obviously, you can use it as a boost, but I use it to add brightness and clarity. I notice no loss in dynamics when it's on. It's a bit pricey at $170, but I think it's worth every penny since it works wonderfully with all of my amps. :thu:

• Members

ok so i bought one and its in the mail right now. it should be here tomorrow so now im lurking the hc forums about this and i see im not alone. i have a laney 4x12 to plug it into when it shows up but i think its a bit overkill so im entertaining the thought of a smaller cab for it. Do you guys think it would be wise to invest in like a 2x12 or a 2x10 for it?

• Members

I'm eyeing the Transatlantic as well. The November Guitar Player (the one with Dweezil Zappa on the cover) gave it an incredible write-up. Basically, the first channel gives you all kind of Vox flavours while the second goes from Fender Deluxe to Marshall to Mesa-Boogie.

One of those is definitely on my GAS list as well.

Mesa-Boogie-Transatlantic-TA-15.jpg

• Members

The Vox Night Train SMOKES the Transatlantic IMO.

I take it you haven't spent much time with the Transatlantic. :poke:

I'm a Vox guy, but the Night Train basically is a one and a half trick pony. The Transatlantic might be the most versatile amp without a pedal I've ever played.

:lol:

• Members

Just put a BBE Sonic Stomp in the effects loop of my Blackstar HT5 (another suggestion I followed) and I am really liking it. This might do the trick and for only 100 bucks. Its too soon to tell. People have said it kills your harmonics and makes distortion sound muddy. I think thats completely opposite. Notes are popping out all over the place. This thing is cool. It's like I can't turn it off it sounds like {censored} if I do. Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Dude, the sonic stomp is awesome. I've had one in my effects loop for a year now!

• Members

Two downsides to the Transatlantic: no reverb, and no effects loop.

Other than that, the amp is at the top of my "must check out" list when I get the funds.
:D
Have only heard great things about the tone of this amp.

Yeah, I'm a reverb junkie, but my two main amps don't have it and the next two candidates don't have it either so I've learned to make due... an effects loop would be nice on a gain-oriented amp though and wouldn't have cost much more to add.

• Members

I've never been much for verb so not having it was not ever a problem for me. Nor was not having an effect loop since all my other amps don't have them so I don't know what I'm missing :D

I don't think you can find them for $500 yet...they've only been out since the beginning of the year and I haven't seen many available used. But you might get lucky. The cheapest one I've seen is currently on ebay for 620 but has days left on the action (there is another one already over 775).

• Members

The
looks like it may be an interesting option--15 watts with a power soak, 2 footswitchable channels, effects loops, about $150 less, made in Germany.

It does look interesting. The TA has the advantages of separate EQ's, more modes and 10 more watts (25 watts). However, the Engl does have an FX loop, which is a major bonus.

• Members

You guys like the sonic stomp. Interesting

I'm not sure if I like it on all the time. It reminds me of a subtle chorus effect making the notes stand out more. It definately changes your tone as any effect pedal will and Ifound myself liking it behind some of my dirt boxes and not so much on others.

Archived