Love by boss' custom shop tele. What cheaper tele will be similar?

John_McEnroe

• Members

My boss has a fender custom shop relic tele with a huge C neck. I don't know what pickups it has but it sounds incredible. I like the feel of the american standards, but the sound is nowhere close. Can I just get some special pickups and drop them into an american standard to get a similar sound? Does fender make a C neck three saddle tele that is cheaper than the custom shop?

• Members

If you like the feel of the American Standard neck but don't like the soundm start by swapping pickups. American Standard pickups are wound on a plastic bobbin that puts a space between the magnets and the coil, and that makes a big change in the sound.

The other big thing is the bridge plate. It's not even so much the saddles as it is the plate itself. The vintage Tele tone is based on a thin bridge plate made of stamped steel, not the big, thick plates that come on modern Teles.

Since the screw pattern and string holes aren't the same as older Teles, you can't just slap on any old ashtray bridge. Glendale and/or Callaham make bridges that are direct fits on the American Standards but give you the old-style ashtray goodness.

• Members
Nash Guitars

Nash_Guitars_Tim_4c2916f4eef02.jpg

http://worldmusicnashville.com/gear/electric-guitars?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=968&category_id=43

Nash guitars always look gorgeous to me, though I'd be more inclined to think seriously about one if they did more of them without relicing. I'm all for reliced guitars and if folks want to buy them, that's fine with me - a lot of them look really cool. I just prefer my own guitars to look shiny and new (one reason I prefer a good modern poly finish!).

• Members
Nash guitars always look gorgeous to me, though I'd be more inclined to think seriously about one if they did more of them without relicing. I'm all for reliced guitars and if folks want to buy them, that's fine with me - a lot of them look really cool. I just prefer my own guitars to look shiny and new (one reason I prefer a good modern poly finish!).

I'vve always fancied a Nash, but the UK mag reviews I have read all say the aging is very fake looking; and on a par with the "Vintage" icon guitars, which doesn't seem so good considering the huge price difference.

Apparently he sort of paints this browny wash over the hardware that looks like {censored} up close.

I think your choice of Tele and CS pickups seem like then way to go.

:thu:

• Members

Well, finishing and distressing is all he does. The parts are all off the shelf, he doesn't manufacture parts, he just puts them together and relics them. So, if you were to buy a non-relic Nash, you would be paying $1000+ premium for him just assemble and setup a couple of hundred dollars of over-the-counter parts, most luthiers will do that for about $150.

And I agree it's an unconvincing job. He's guitars seemed fairly priced 4 or 5 years ago when they were $700-800 each, but now that they cost twice that, they are just so many more convincing options out there that seem more competitive.

Archived