What Would It Take to Make You Switch DAWs?

Anderton

• Moderators

For me Adobe would have to screw up Audition a little more than they already have, since they bought it as Cool Edit which was one badass program. :facepalm:

Unlike some well-known forum I've heard of, Adobe was clever enough to change Cool Edit just a little on each subsequent release so that the changes were never quite unfamiliar enough for me to take the trouble to find a different DAW and learn that instead. :o

Terry D.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If someone released software that was a combination of Digital Performer and the looping part of Live, not limited in either respect, I'd consider switching. Otherwise I'm fine with my Digital Performer 5 and Live 7.

Why not just ReWire Live into DP? Then you get a combination of Digital Performer and the looping part of Live :)

• CMS Author

If I were starting to record right now, I'd look into Reaper, that's for sure.

I have Reaper installed on all of my computers. While I still use Sound Forge for routine editing, if I have to record something multitrack, or if I'm checking out a multitrack interface for a review, I always use Reaper to see how it works (and it always does).

• Members

If I were starting to record right now, I'd look into Reaper, that's for sure.

A friend of mine who runs a local project studio and has had an 002 rig forever just had PT get on his last nerve, a few weeks ago (something to do with a hardware incompatibility, I think), and decided to download Reaper. Within less than an hour he had it working with all his hardware (including UAD2 plugs etc.) and was getting work done. He's now completely sold. He thinks it sounds better too.

• Members
A what?
:confused:

Its a term we use for sportscasters if they are cheering for the home team no matter how badly they play, they never say a bad thing about them. I was commenting on your commitment to the DAWs you have used. It seems you are a homer in that sense, going with the DAW of which you work for... nevermind...
:facepalm:

• Members

I use Vegas and ACID (depending upon the project) and I'm pretty happy with both of them, except that they've become SO BLOATED that they take forever to start (part of that is my fault, because I have a lot of plugins). I also own Reaper, which I love to use for quick things and its workflow is very similar to Vegas, so that made it a very easy transition for me. Don't know what would take me to really stop using the Sony stuff. Perhaps a disastrous version of Windows that is buggy as hell? But then again I never upgraded from XP to Vista, so that kind of saved it. Maybe Windows 7 will be even better once I can afford some new hardware (which hasn't been the case lately).

Most of my production these days is song demos (which I generally do in ACID) and radio commercials (which are done with Vegas), so I haven't really had a chance to really go crazy with any of the features. I rarely use the video functions in Vegas...I don't even consider myself proficient in Vegas as a NLE for video, even though I can do some stuff (the basics).

I do love Reaper, though. Best bang-for-the-buck DAW in existence, IMO. And it is being developed for Mac and PC, so people with both aren't stuck.

Brian V.

• Members
I want something that's indistinguishable from a recorder and console.

Mike, just for fun...here's your ADAT :) I created a screenset in Sonar that pretty much emulates my old blackface - does eight tracks of recording, has a transport, and does punching and looping. However, it does have a master volume control, phase switch, and stereo mono switch...so I guess it's actually ADAT 1.1.

• Members

Mike, just for fun...here's your ADAT
:)
I created a screenset in Sonar that pretty much emulates my old blackface - does eight tracks of recording, has a transport, and does punching and looping. However, it does have a master volume control, phase switch, and stereo mono switch...so I guess it's actually ADAT 1.1.

And it's has that all too hip and trendy "vintage" vibe. ;)

• Members

What kind of features do you find missing from your current DAW? Or what feature in a competing DAW is making you think twice about maybe changing? For example, Cubase's Arrange function is very cool, and for certain types of music (particularly songwriting) it might be enough to get someone to switch. Or someone who was thinking of ditching Acid might stick with it if a version came out with algorithmic composition tools. Then there are the people who would be interested in switching to Sonar if only its notation capabilities were improved...

What's your wish list for your current DAW, or features in other DAWs that you find very, very tempting?

Nothing - Sonar is all I need.

• Members

I'd use Reaper too, if I were starting out. Pro Tools 9 takes a step in the right direction by opening up to third party hardware. It still needs offline bouncing (as mentioned in a previous post). Also, the whole i-Lock BS has to go. That is the absolute stupidest system I have ever seen. The registration systems as implemented by companies that make software like EZ-drummer are sufficient.

I haven't yet upgraded to PT9 because 8LE is working fine for me, and I already have a couple of PT interfaces. Basically if Logic was cross-platform it would full-fill my needs, and I would switch to it, as I record on both Mac and PC. PT allows me to at least do this. If PT fixes these other little issues, I will stick with it, probably, at this point.

• Members

This thread got me interested in REAPER. I downloaded yesterday and will fiddle around with it. At this point, I`m just curious more than anything. I`m always interested in looking at different software options but none have really enticed me as much as REASON which is just a mind blowing experience. REAPER... we`ll see.

• Members
I'm in my comfort zone

Stability is everything for me.......at least when it comes to catching my tunes.;)

I've had my PTLE rig for ten years and that little MBox is still hiding behind the computer. I know that I can power up a preamp and a mic at 3:00 AM with my eyes still mostly closed and that tune will be there in the morning.

I guess it's all about old dogs and new tricks.

• Members

The question is like why do you like one guitar over another or one car over another.

You can get stuck in a loop switching DAWs thinking the answer to recording great music is in the technology. In reality all you're doing is having to relearn what you already know. I think many current daws have features well beyond many hobbiests ability to utilize. Things they can do are already there but lay dormant because they lack the technical experience to utilize them. I think a compant that has good training, video support, and help files will do better on the beginners level and gain popularity in the process. Cost is another.

There may be some parts to it that appeal more than others. I know theres a few daw programs I had high learning curves using. The first one I tried was an earley PC version of Logic. The program was anything but logical coming from an analog background. Maybe for someone with no analog background it would have been easier to use. Many others I've tried since have excelled in some areas, and force you to dig for solutions or tools that are simple in another program.

Cost wise your better Daw programs arent cheap. If I were to change there would need to be a good reason to. I mainly switch between Sonar and Cubase now, but I do have older versions of other programs.

All record with the same sound quality so thats not an issue. Is all in the mixing and how it utilizes resources. Some DAWs have better plugins than others. When looking at it as a package, some have a higher valuse than others. I guess to be it comes down to the quality of the finished mixdown I'm able to get with the least anount of eaking things. Many of the Plugins and daw controlls could be much better with existing components if those components had finer adjustments. Some features are just plain stupid like having round knobs. How many times have you mouse clicked on a knob only to have it jump around of spin the wrong way. Having a DAW feature that changes all knobs to sliders with a zoom function for mouse users would be a great thing to have. Then if a person has a control surface, the controlls can be round for saving space. My point is Many controls just arent precise they are digital, and glitchey. It always seems that step in between to steps is the one thats hardest to get so you wind up having to key it in numerically.

Most or my recording is under live conditions where I'm playing with a band and running the DAW at the same time, so it has to be as simple as pressing one button to record, and one or two buttons to save the recording and start another. Maybe when theres improvements in certain areas I may switch. File maintainence and cleanup are big areas where many daw programs suck really bad for ease of use. Importing files also requires searching drives for a particular file often given an encrypted name while recording. Clean up files or file fragments when they're done with a project can be a major pain with some daws. Sonar is better than many I've tried. I dont know of many that do it more easily with their one button cleanup. But even they have a long ways to go in this area.

For now, what would make me switch? Nothing. I can do fine with what I got. Presently it comes down to playing performance, composition, arrangement etc. Without those you got nothing to record or mix. If I were to upgrade, the daw program would be one of the last items on my list. Better mics, Pres, even higer quality interfaces, sure. You can hear a difference there. But to switch DAWs, its just more of the same old thing with a new GUI you have to deal with. Many can do with a change if they spend alot of hours using something inferior and the program really saves time and makes life easier. But they must know why a change would be good and not expect woundorus things to magically happen. It may inspier to do better work, but that same inspiration can be, and should be gotten from other sources.

A DAW program is just a tool. A Technical tool that requires an educated and experienced mind to use. If the tool becomes obsolite or lacks advantage because a person ability to produce a better product with the tool are being held back by the technology, then changing to something with extended options is a wise move. Its like upgrading to a guitar that has better playability or tone that a player can take advantage of playing that instrument and create better music in that case.

• CMS Author

Mike, just for fun...here's your ADAT
:)
I created a screenset in Sonar that pretty much emulates my old blackface - does eight tracks of recording, has a transport, and does punching and looping.

It needs to do more than look similar on the screen. It needs to have real controls and buttons that I can put my real, not virtual, hands on. I want signal paths that I can follow by tracing a cable, and connectors that have names on them. For me, it's all about having hands and eyes on controls and displays that are always the same size (big enough for me to find, read, and handle) and in the same place.

I wonder if I'd like something like your Sonar/ADAT setup, perhaps extended to 24 channels with half a dozen auxiliary sends (got an audio I/O box for that?), on a big touch screen monitor like the Red Leaf Technology thing, but I think I'd like to wait until they implement multi-touch so I can move more than one control at once. In the mean time, you can put one of the present version in my Christmas stocking (along with that A&H G24 console under the tree) so I can get the hang of it.

[video=youtube;gQwxtUmSPUs]

• Members

For most of my applications, I still like Adobe Audition. I'm on their 3.0 version now, but from what I've seen from Logic, Adobe REALLY need to take a leaf out of Logic's book re MIDI interfacing with regular audio tracks.

I did seriously consider PT9 recently, but when I was advised that PT still does not support VST / VSTi's, that was a deal-breaker for me. If they change that though, I would definitely take the time to learn it.

• Members

I'm looking forward to the next versions of Reaper and Ardour (and Mixbus). I think they're very fairly priced and have gotten constant improvements.

I started with a Tascam 4 (or 8?) track PortaStudio. In 1999 I bought my first Mac (G4) and got Digi001. When the G5s came out, I learned that in order to still use ProTools I had to buy a new interface, and with a discount/rebate program I think I still had to pay around $700. I decided to stop using ProTools, and I don't miss it. I may eventually buy version 9 since it's not tied to hardware and I get an upgrade discount, but it's unlikely after my poor experience with them.

Some things that are important to me are low resource usage and plugin compatibility. I don't know why, but some Audio Units do not always work as expected in different DAWs. In addition to Reaper and Ardour, Studio One looks promising. I've used Logic quite a bit and really like it, but I'm not a big fan of Apple and would prefer to give my money to other developers.

Archived