HNHD400D!

Jkater

• Members

IMG_8200.jpg

IMG_8201.jpg

It's here and I just scratched the surface and I'm totally impressed!!!

IMG_8203.jpg

There is no comparing to my POD 2.0 as far as how it responds to picking. Much more lively and inspiring. The claim of Line6 having significantly improved that aspect of amp modeling appears to be true according to these ears. It is most impressive with the headphones plugged into the pedal and obviously I will need to carry that tone unto the computer. The Record out with the two XLR to TRS jacks is now plugged into my mixer, then to the soundcard and finally what I hear is coming from small monitors. It sounds a little more colored that way, not as satisfying as the headphone sound. Tips, anyone?

One big pleasant surprise was the wah. As good as anything I've ever tried and responds easily (I have a tech21 wah that is much harder to use). There are a bunch of wahs to choose from, too many almost. 90+ effects gathered in groups (can pick one effect per group, not a problem for me as I don't use effects much).

Tube screamer sounded just like my real one (subjective to some point but I did recognise the chracter of it).

I had wondered if I should have bought the 500 but the extras seemed to be mostly stuff and connectivity I don't need all that much. If you like to use 8 effects at the same time (how does that sound?...), You'll want the 500. Maybe the 500 is easier to tweak from the pedal itself but the HD400 editing software provides already more tweaking buttons than I'm used to. ;)

IMG_8204.jpg

I know... clips or it's just an internet photo. I want to explore things a bit before I post something. I always rush those clips and regret sounding half lame afterwards.

Any owner of POD HD yet to join in and add comments?

• Members

good stuff Richard... hearing good things about these units.... i hope it ticks all the boxes you need it to... congrats... look forward to hearing your clips

i got something cool in the mail today... a couple of cds from overseas... i plan on kicking back and enjoying them when my little fella settles :thu::)

• Members

good stuff Richard... hearing good things about these units.... i hope it ticks all the boxes you need it to... congrats... look forward to hearing your clips

i got something cool in the mail today... a couple of cds from overseas... i plan on kicking back and enjoying them when my little fella settles
:thu::)

:thu:

• Members

...The Record out with the two XLR to TRS jacks is now plugged into my mixer, then to the soundcard and finally what I hear is coming from small monitors. It sounds a little more colored that way, not as satisfying as the headphone sound. Tips, anyone?

I think you are adding too much coloration with your signal path...

Shooting in the dark here (do not own one), but couldn't you just record straight from the pedal via USB??? I thought it had that capability... maybe that way you'll be able to get the sound close to what you hear with headphones.

Still, HNHD400D!!!

:wave:

Omar :thu:

• Members

[

IMG_8204.jpg

Holy sensory overload!!! Is that really what you have to go through to get this thing set up and usable?? It reminds me of my old digitech GSP2101 that came with a user manual as thick as an encyclopedia and required degrees in mechanical, electrical, and electronic engineering just to understand it.

I'm sure it sounds great (I love my line 6 M13) but ......I'll pass. And this is coming from someone who works in IT and spends the day working with interfaces and systems that are a lot more complex than that. When I play guitar, I like to plug in and go, not spend hours figuring out how to get a usable sound out of a complicated piece of gear. I went through that with my rack systems and finally got tired of it. The M13 is about as complicated as I'll tolerate at the moment.

• Members

Call me a Luddite, but I think those sorts of things (gigantic multi-fx/modeling pedals) are fun toys for spending hours messing around at home, but rather impractical for the real world. Am I way off here?

Yes, completely.. You spend those hours at home, then save those settings and use them out in the real world. Most modelers do require just a tiny bit of time invested in making them sound good. After that, you're golden.

• Members

Call me a Luddite, but I think those sorts of things (gigantic multi-fx/modeling pedals) are fun toys for spending hours messing around at home, but rather impractical for the real world. Am I way off here?

No, I agree. The exception I've found is the M13. It is a pure stompbox modeler and works almost exactly like having a bunch of regular pedals in front of you. You can go deeper into the programming and set up other things if that's what you want to do but the basic operation works just like having a regular pedalboard in front of you. It took me about 10 minutes to learn how it works and the rest was just a matter of finding the stompboxes that would give me the sounds I wanted. Just like going to GC and spending some time demoing a bunch of pedals. But learning the actual operation and programming of the thing took me all of 10 minutes, if even that long.

The other processors that have amp sims and all that other stuff are too impractical for a lot of people including myself.

• Members

I've had great success (and an easy time) using my POD X3 and now HD at band practice and at gigs.

• Members

Yes, completely.. You spend those hours at home, then save those settings and use them out in the real world. Most modelers do require just a tiny bit of time invested in making them sound good. After that, you're golden.

Until you find yourself having to tweak a setting or two in a live situation, then you have to make the whole band sit there and wait for you while you figure out how to change that one setting.

I think these things can be great tools at home and in the studio and maybe good in some live situations like if you're in an original band and have a set list that you don't stray from and you can preprogram everything in advance, but for someone like me who plays in a cover band and sometimes has to adjust and tweak settings on the fly, it can be very impractical. That said, if I found one that I really really liked, I'm sure I could learn to work with it.

• Members

I actually spent more time in band prac with my conventional pedalboard, trying to find out which interconnecting cable was acting up, or getting the volume proper between the amp's two channels, than I do with these POD devices. A single pedal changing to the exact sound you want is invaluable, especially after my old pedal dancing days.

• Members

Congrats on the new HD400! I just got mine on Monday, and am already convinced that it's a pretty significant upgrade from my PODxt Live.

What's remarkable is the jump in sensitivity in the HD. It responds so much more to how hard or lightly you play, and the guitar's volume knob...there's a noticeable percussive effect. After setting up the HD400, I played on it about 3 hours then went back to the PODxt...man, the difference was noticeable.

Archived