Any good SG alternatives?

ZeppelinPie792

• Members

I'm about to put my SG Faded up for sale because I picked up a used Carvin SC90. It's not the same shape, but it's a much nicer guitar IMHO. I have a hard time putting the Carvin down because the neck feels so good. Someone has a mahogany SC90 for sale in the spam thread for $600. It's a great deal on a great guitar.

• Members

Define "overpriced"...a very nice Gibson SG Standard just sold on eBay yesterday for a $715 BIN price plus $25 shipping. Seems like a very fair price to me...if MF put SG Standards on sale for $740 today, everyone here would be tripping over themselves to buy one.

If you want a SG that's not a Gibson, look for an Epiphone Eiltist SG...you can probably find one for around or less than $600 if you're patient and/or lucky.

• Members

Epiphone G400 series. You may or may not like the stock pups. They tend to be on the crunchy and bright side. I'm not a fan of gibson pups so pup diff isnt an issue to me. Last epi g400 series I had got BC Rich pups as replacement for darker crunchy tone and better sustain. Everything else was excellent stock, including fretwork, hardware, pots etc and build.

• Members

I own a Gibson

SG '61 RI

SG Classic

SG GOM Diablo

SG GOW Silverburst Std

SG Faded Special

SG Special Blue Mist (ebony fb)

Epiphone G-400 EMG

and the last one in the door was -

:badump:

Another Epihone G-400

This one is the Deluxe with Maestro Trem

641242.jpg

I'm loving it. Point above, they fit in real well. I'd say the pickup tone on the Epi is not as complex, but it's still quite good. Sweet sounding in the neck and wants to rock in the bridge.

I already had a Burstbucker Pro sitting around for the bridge, and I ordered a BB Pro for the neck, but really, the stock p'ups make me feel like, "no hurries".

Check out this sweet little Epi G-400 I bought a couple years ago for my stepson. It was real sweet too. But I'm liking the tone a bit more on my new one.

041-2.jpg

Point being, I like the Epiphones just fine. You might want to upgrade the electronics, but it's not imperative.

• Members

I didn't exactly do any research on them before making this thread, but it looks like second hand SG standards aren't terribly expensive, either.

Sure, that's a good idea.

If you want to go Gibson, I truly appreciate that.

A life long musician/guitar store owner (the latter more recent - i.e like ten or more years in his life) once told me (and I totally believe this) that (in general) with Gibson, the quality just gets better and better as you go up their price scale.

HOWEVER! - I truly think their SG Faded Specials are a very good buy. Mine was at a super good price of $486 new, but there are still some good deals out there on them new.

Not forgetting about what I said about the "quality evolutionary chain" there is also the regular finished SG Special. The wood selects may not be quite as good on those as the SG Standards, but they use the Gibson 490R/490T pickups whereas the SG Std uses the 498T pickup in the bridge. Point of the story is the 498 is a harder rock pickup, and the 490 is better for cleans and classic overdrive rock.

Whatever flavor you want, if you'd like a Gibson, then definitely search for a used one so you don't have to feel like you compromised for a small chunk of change.

That last Epi I bought, it was only $299 on clearance. Hard to resist at that price.

• Members

+1 on getting a used Gibson - SG's are not overpriced, IMO. Standards can be had for $700ish used, but if you want some serious bang for the buck, get an SG special and drop some high quality pickups in there. I did this with a glossy, non-faded Special and it tore the balls of every Standard I'd ever played.

• Members

Epiphone G-400's are great guitars for the money. I picked up a black one a few months back for $200 w/ a TKL case off Craigslist. Originally it was just to play shows/carry around places that it might get all beat up but its becoming a favorite instrument. Mainly because it sounds pretty good and its built like a tank...I don't like being careful with things. Haha.

Also, those Ibanez AX series are pretty decent beginner guitars, but for about $50 more you could just go ahead and get the Epiphone which is a way better instrument.

Archived