Great songs spoiled by terrible parts?

kirs

• Members

My vote goes to "Whole Lotta Love".

Arguably the greatest rock groove of all time and the greatest rock solo(s) of all time bookmark an excessive minute and forty-two seconds of druggy sound effects and embarrassing orgasm sounds.

If not for the killer Bonzo drum part and (IMO) Page's best solos I'd end the song at the 1:20 mark.

What do you got?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to think about this one... not sure something can still be a great song if it is "spoiled by terrible parts". There are plenty with cringeworthy lyrics, but I am tempted to say that in itself disqualifies them from being great.

I personally think "Whole Lotta Love" is great as it is... the sum of its parts being greater than the whole... and I am sorry, Pagey's solo is sloppy on that, too, but that is what makes it all so perfect :)

• Members

It's not the worst thing in the world, mainly because it happens way at the end of the song, but the sax (sax!? wtf) that comes in at the end of Soundgarden's Room a Thousand Years Wide just doesn't fit :freak:

Not that this is a favorite tune of mine, but I was shopping lately and they were playing Easy Like Sunday Morning (iirc) and the guitar solo was about the worst tone I have ever heard...I got the feeling the main amp broke and they pulled a Peavey Backstage out of the studio closet and said "let's go with this, we only have an hour" :facepalm:

Probably not many know this tune, but Kansas' Cheyenne Anthem is a sad, moving epic with acoustic guitar and piano telling the story of the Native Americans and the intruding white men--and then the middle section comes in, it sounds like Looney Tunes :p I love Kansas and that album is one of my favorites, but if that synth polka.....ugh.

[YOUTUBE]YVEgxYnQIxw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The newest Dave Matthews album has a song on it that haunts me, it's so pretty. "The Way It Is" is the name, I think. Great singing, playing, writing, probably some of the best to come out of them in ten years. However, about 2 minutes in there's a bridge part that is so out of place and downright terrible it ruins the song for me every time.

• Members

One example of lyrics in an otherwise good song that tick me off and ruin the song for me...

Sammy Hagar- "Your Love is Drivin' Me Crazy"... the line that goes "hot, sweet cherries on the vine"...
Cherries grow on trees, dammit!

On the topic of bad lyrics, how about the nearly irony-free "Ironic" by Alanis Morrisette? I never liked her, but I think it's the best example of inaccurate lyrics.

There are some Dream Theater songs that are spoiled by overblown keyboard solos and/or overblown vocals.

"Cat Food" by King Crimson has an awesome groove, but the atonal piano runs in the background distract from what could have been a tight groove. I still like that song, though. I just would like it better without those piano parts.

I mostly agree with the "Whole Lotta Love" opinion. I do like the song, but I could do without the moaning.

• Members

Another pet peeve... covers of songs where the covering artist screws up the original lyrics to the point where they no longer make sense.

Examples: "Blinded by the Light" where "cut loose like a deuce" became "wrapped up like a deuce", "Smokin' in the Boy's Room" where "I am fully aware of the rules" somehow got morphed into "I ain't foolin' around with your rules".

• Members

Arguably the greatest rock groove of all time and the greatest rock solo(s) of all time bookmark an excessive minute and forty-two seconds of druggy sound effects and embarrassing orgasm sounds.

If not for the killer Bonzo drum part and (IMO) Page's best solos I'd end the song at the 1:20 mark.

What do you got?

Great topic!!! Glad I'm not the only one; I always skip Whole Lotta Love.

Okay, I love this song, but on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath they go from one of the gnarliest ever heavy metal riffs to that wimpy "Nobody will ever let you know" bridge(?). Maybe the way they back way off kinda emphasizes the heavy riff, but still bugs me.

• Members

Another one that came to me... "Centerfield" by John Fogerty.

"Look at me, I can be centerfield"...
NO YOU CAN'T
- you can play center field, or you can be a center fielder, but you can't
be
center field.

I'll go along with that, but the worst lyrical error in "Centerfield" is "Put me in, coach". The guy on the team who would be putting him in is the MANAGER, not the coach. Obviously, "manager" doesn't fit the meter of the tune, so an appropriate one-syllable substitute for "manager" would be "skip", which a baseball player might actually say. "Coach" is just wrong in that context.

I really like the Steppenwolf tune "For Ladies Only", but the album version is ruined by a long piano intro and a ridiculously long piano solo in the middle of the tune. The single version cuts both of them but also cuts the cool, and proper length, guitar solo.

• Members

What do you got?

My goodness! I agree so hard. I hate that part of that song. I also don't like that little dive that repeats during the chorus:

Whole lotta love! MEEEEEEAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Whole lotta love!

But yeah, I hate almost anytime in the song where the artist says "Hmmmm, what would make the absolute least sense, and be the least musical bit for this darn part after the 2nd chorus..... ah yes, SYNTHS! POTS! PANS! COWBELLS! EVERYONE WE KNOW ON VOCALS!!!!!!!! GET THE DOG IN HERE!!!!"

• Members

On the topic of bad lyrics, how about the nearly irony-free "Ironic" by Alanis Morrisette? I never liked her, but I think it's the best example of inaccurate lyrics.

Yeah, I guess it's all relative, even in Ironicland, but she compares finding a bug in a glass of wine to having the governor call to pardon your execution two minutes after you were killed.

:facepalm:

But, I have to admit that I like her and I like the song. :lol:

• Members

The bridge in Motley Crue's 'Live Wire' came to mind first, I don't know why.

As soon as Mick hits the flanger ...
:bor:

Ohhh... good one... I was trying to think of something that was a musical as opposed to lyrical distraction. That, the lyrics, and the cowbell madness all make that part of the song bring the rocking to a screeching halt.

• Members

Just about any Springsteen song with those incessant keyboards. Good songs just need to choke that keyboard player

I'd agree with you on this. I'm not a Springsteen fan at all, but do enjoy a few of his older songs. But the keyboards are often really whimpy and thin sounding and do ruin the songs. I also can't stand Max's drum playing, again, to weak. If there was a big ass Hammond B3 going or no keys, it would be better. But hey, he is the Boss and I'm not - so what do I know!

Archived