Great songs spoiled by terrible parts?

kirs

• Members

Pink Floyd-several songs / albums after the Dark Side come to my mind. They were just chopped up and over produced. They would get into a great groove then all this weird stuff would pop in, and break up the groove almost as if they did not know what else to play. It was just too much. The Beatles started messing around with the "chop" they seemed to manage it better.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
My vote goes to "Whole Lotta Love".

Arguably the greatest rock groove of all time and the greatest rock solo(s) of all time bookmark an excessive minute and forty-two seconds of druggy sound effects and embarrassing orgasm sounds.

If not for the killer Bonzo drum part and (IMO) Page's best solos I'd end the song at the 1:20 mark.

What do you got?

Kids.......:facepalm:

• Members
My vote goes to "Whole Lotta Love".

Arguably the greatest rock groove of all time and the greatest rock solo(s) of all time bookmark an excessive minute and forty-two seconds of druggy sound effects and embarrassing orgasm sounds.

If not for the killer Bonzo drum part and (IMO) Page's best solos I'd end the song at the 1:20 mark.

What do you got?

Well for one just because you don't like a part in a song doesn't mean it is terrible :rolleyes: Secondly that part of whole lotta love is fantastic and builds up the great drum and guitar part directly afterward making those parts more explosive.

That being said I feel that the intro to Rush's "la villa strangiato" is painfully major and weak.

• Members
Well for one just because you don't like a part in a song doesn't mean it is terrible
:rolleyes:
Secondly that part of whole lotta love is fantastic and builds up the great drum and guitar part directly afterward making those parts more explosive.

I don't think the song is terrible, I love it. My favorite Zep song and definitely in my top 10 songs of all time, which is why I chose the word "spoiled" over "ruined".

I agree the build-up is great, it's just what's there sounds dated and goes on way too long.

• Members

Another vote for Layla outro.

Is it "Mr. Tinkertrain" by Ozzy that wrecks a nice evil-sounding song with some drippy keyboard break?

What's the Zep song off ITTOD with the cool descending riff, but then Percy has to throw in "Ooo ooo I need your love" ad naseum? "Casseroleamba" or something?

G n' R "Get in the Ring" with Axl's stupid monologue. Oh yeah, Axl. You bad.

Thin Lizzy "Jailbreak," the part with the sirens and all that.

• Members

Not the first time I've complained about this one:
Tool's 'Jambi' would rate as one of my all time fav Tool songs except for the 'icepick-to-the-eardrum' guitar solo that starts around the 4 minute mark. It has more in common with a dentist drill than anything approaching a pleasant guitar tone and, based on interviews, it seems that they mixed it in a way to purposely hurt the listener (as opposed to the mastering job on Death Magnetic which hurts the listener through sheer incompetence). One of these days I'm going to try taking a dynamic EQ to that song to see if I can't bury that solo into the mix a bit.

[YOUTUBE]czg-hdk3I0M[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
I'll go along with that, but the worst lyrical error in "Centerfield" is "Put me in, coach". The guy on the team who would be putting him in is the MANAGER, not the coach. Obviously, "manager" doesn't fit the meter of the tune, so an appropriate one-syllable substitute for "manager" would be "skip", which a baseball player might actually say. "Coach" is just wrong in that context.

IMO you "gentlemen" should never listen to Rock N Roll again :facepalm:

P.S. Baseball does have Coaches and sometimes MANAGERS get thrown out of a game... but who cares anyways, it's Rock N Roll.

Let me edit that: In Little League I sure never called the parents running the team managers, they were coaches. Do High School or Connie Mack players call them anything other than coaches?

• Members
IMO you "gentlemen" should never listen to Rock N Roll again
:facepalm:

P.S. Baseball does have Coaches and sometimes MANAGERS get thrown out of a game... but who cares anyways, it's Rock N Roll.

Let me edit that: In Little League I sure never called the parents running the team managers, they were coaches. Do High School or Connie Mack players call them anything other than coaches?

Oh, we are just scratching the surface, I have seen spirited discussions around the baseball inaccuracies in the song.

I personally think some of them, like the Coach/Manager distinction, are a bit esoteric, but are you going to tell me anyone over 10 years old actually says "I can be center field?"

Oh, and I am certainly capable of overlooking insipid lyrics in the name of poetic license and "Rock N Roll"... I am a Van Halen fan :lol: but what the thread is about is things that spoil a song in your opinion and that was one of them for me.

• Members

but are you going to tell me anyone over 10 years old actually says "I can be center field?"

I'm sure it happens all the time. Sunday afternoon pickup softball game. Team captain asks "Who can play centerfield?" for every xx amount of times that question gets asked I am fairly certain you will get "I can be centerfield" as a reply rather than "I can play centerfield" a few times.

• Members

Seconded for Grand Funk's "I'm Your Captain/Getting Closer to My Home"

To this day I've only managed to listen to that song the whole way through once... and upon doing that, my reaction was: "...What? That felt longer than the actual song itself!"

Now I just listen to the song, then when that bit comes, I switch to something else.

Archived