Sell me on a bass

scolfax

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did consider the SX. Benefits are: slightly cheaper, body made of ash instead of the random stuff the Squiers seem to be made of. Cons: The Squiers may be setup better (?), no/low resale value.

This is the one I was looking at:

ursa2mnprocar1.jpg

• Members

Look for a shorter scale length, it's easier quickly to adjust to when you're used to guitar. I believe a Precision is 34" and I never liked how foreign it felt in my hands. However, my 27" Univox is not that much different when switching to bass. It probably doesn't sound as good as the longer scale but no more than I need it, the short scale works better for me.

A pic for comparison with guitars:

gearasof03-05004.jpg

• Members

If you're not really a bass player (and neither am I, but I still own 2)

why not think about this one.

584089.jpg

It would serve your needs and look uber-cool hanging on a wall.

I'd get one myself, but I don't need a third bass when I hardly ever use the first two.

One which I think I'll eventually sell off, but that's really a pretty sweet bass is this one (erroneously named a baritone custom)

WoollyMammothJaguar001.jpg

It's my most :o'ing guitar buying story because I thought I was buying a baritone. Turned out it was just a short scale 6-string bass designed to be tuned one octave down E to E. I later had a new nut cut for it for baritone strings and got it set up to fit my original intention, but I think the p'ups are better voiced for its original intent. So I think I'll eventually just get the new nut widened at the slots to put it back to a bass.

My other bass is one of these guys which I really like.

Fender Deluxe P Bass Special 4-String Bass

272213.jpg

$585 with the BACK code.

I think one of those leaves the "just occasional" bass player never wanting for more.

• Members

I got the Squier P Bass when it was $150 at MF.

Build and playability, it's great. Seriously, it does exactly what I need it for: laying down bass tracks in my home studio.

The pickups, however, suck ass. They're VERY weak and bland. I wish I'd gotten a budget bass with a humbucker.

• Members

I did consider the SX. Benefits are: slightly cheaper, body made of ash instead of the random stuff the Squiers seem to be made of. Cons: The Squiers may be setup better (?), no/low resale value.

ursa2mnprocar1.jpg

The Squier is probably only marginaly better than the SX and not worth the extra cost IMHO.

Robert, a forum member here seems to like his SX bass.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/sx_sjb57_electric_bass/

• Members

Why buy new? I can find excellent prices on used basses on CL every day. It should be no problem to get a decent bass and 30-or-so watt amp for about two bills...

Seriously. I don't know if two bills could get you much of a performance rig, but I do see MIM Precision Basses all the time for $200-300. Seems like a no-brainer in my book.

• Members

I'm about to sell my Yamaha RBX4 A2. I just don't use it. It's still in its original cardboard box, with new DR strings. I'll include the original strings if I still have them. I'm 99% sure that I added Straploks, and will include a nice leather strap if I still have it (not 100% sure). It's white with musical notes, like the one SRV used. I bought the bass new, used it briefly to record a couple of songs, and stored it a while ago. Very nice inexpensive bass.

Article:

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/yamaha_rbx4_a2_bass

Video:

[YOUTUBE]47tKorh9vgo[/YOUTUBE]

Mine is in white.

Does $300 plus shipping sound OK? Let me know.

You can get them new for $549-$599, but for that price I would look into a used Peavey USA.

• Members

ursa2mnprocar1.jpg

I can wholeheartedly recommend this bass. I have the earlier version in sunburst and it is really very nice. The neck is much nicer than the basic model. Pickups are good and the bridge is solid. For the price, you cannot beat it. Additionally, rondo has a great return policy if you receive a dud.

• Members

How about an SX from Rondo?

I recommended the 100 buck precision copy to a coworker for his son several years ago.

His boy has gotten great service out of it and still plays it. I thought the quality of it was better than the low end SX guitars.

Get the SX. I have one that cost me next to nothing and it sounds just as good as the MIM fenders. WAY better than the Squiers. They have changed the headstocks since though... but if the spear doesn't bother you go for one! They are too great not to get!

• Members

ursa2mnprocar1.jpg

resale value is a non-issue when your talking about a $100 bass.

buy it, learn on it, use it, if and when you're ready to upgrade... give it away. you'll have gotten your $100 worth outta it.

a poor set up can always be fixed also.

• Members

P.M. me. I have a great Gretsch shortscale bass, pre fender buy out, great bass, almost new, one dink. Single cut out LP shape, one pickup in the sweet spot. $100 shipped to your door. Tell me how to post a pic so you can see it and you just might be getting the best deal on a bass anyone has ever had.Sorry if this seems like spam, I just like to help people out if I can.

Please, I really need to know how to post pics here. I used to just use photobucket but I'm not doing it right now for some reason. No need to take up posts, P.M. me with the info i need and I'll be a pic postin' fool.

• Members

Look for a shorter scale length, it's easier quickly to adjust to when you're used to guitar. I believe a Precision is 34" and I never liked how foreign it felt in my hands. However, my 27" Univox is not that much different when switching to bass. It probably doesn't sound as good as the longer scale but no more than I need it, the short scale works better for me.

A pic for comparison with guitars:

gearasof03-05004.jpg

The main issue I see with this is that a short scale bass will not get all of the sounds that one might want for recording. A full scale bass is a little different in feel from a guitar, but learning to get comfortable on it will only make your guitar playing better/easier.

I picked up a cheap upright bass a few years ago (I'm primarily a bass player) and when I keep myself in the habit of playing it at home and/or at gigs, I find that playing electric bass and any guitar feels like no work and I have improved on all the other instruments.

I have an SX 5 string (non P or J style) that is still dead stock (except for the finish that I redid a few years ago) and it still plays and sounds great. For the money, I'd say that the SX basses are a great value. I would go for one that was not the bottom $ option, but that's just me.

Archived