Dig this, you can rent Photoshop now

Phait

• Members

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2011/04/11/you-can-now-rent-adobe-photoshop-for-29-per-month/

Adobe has unveiled a new subscription scheme where you can rent the entire Creative Suite, or individual packages, by the month, or for an entire year.

Adobe Photoshop can be yours for $35 per month if you agree to rent it for 12 months, or $49 per month if you require its services for a shorter period.

more at link

• Members

this is not a good idea. it is a concept to get you to continue to pay to use something you would otherwise own. pretty soon all the spftware will be cloud based anyway, and then only criminals (terrorists even) like me will have actual software on their own hard drives (because i will not do the cloud thing).

• Members

Photoshop, to some extent, has the graphics industry over a barrel. Industry users may not always be computer savvy -- but they tend to have a deep immersion in the particulars of Photoshop. Now, most of the features of PhotoShop are available in other packages and plug ins. But, while PS users might not be able to tell you what a given class of tool is called or even all its ins and outs -- they do tend to know the particular PS menu and tool/plug names and have very specific sets of expectations about how those tools/plugs/filters should work. Knowing you can do a particular effect in another graphics editor is not nearly as good as being able to follow specific algorithms with regard to tool/filter settings and desired effects.

I'd used Macromedia's Dreamweaver (and to a lesser extent Flash Pro authoring tool) for many years when my heart sank as I watched Adobe buy the smaller Macromedia in order to get hold of Flash and Dreamweaver. I'd watched as Adobe flailed trying to come up with a decent web editor. It shouldn't probably have surprised me when they bought Macromedia -- but it really bummed me out, since I have little love for Adobe. And, sure enough, the first Adobe version of DW was met by a near-solid wall of groans and boos, although I'm told they've done better with more recent versions.

Me, I'm moving away from the disaster area of Adobe. I've got a lot of use out of Dreamweaver over the years -- but its ability to keep up with modern CSS practice has flagged badly. It hasn't been truly WYSIWYG in a long time, since perfectly legal CSS has continued to flummox it. (Maybe it's better now, a few Adobe versions down the road.)

Anyhow, long story made short: Adobe won't be getting any of my subscription money -- and any further upgrades to the software I have (basically DW and Flash Pro) are probably not too likely. (What worries me is that they may revoke support for older copies, so that moving to a new machine I might not be able to do an authorization of the software.)

Archived