A New $899 Gibson Mahogany LP Studio w Satin Finishes

GAS Man

• Members

785500.jpg

785499.jpg

My guess is that these are essentially the same as the Vintage Mahogany guitars, but with more work on the finishes (but only up to the "satin" level) and with 490/498 instead of BB Pros. But they are back to tossing in a hard shell case again (as the used to with the VMs)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Mahogany-Exclusive-Electric-Guitar?sku=H69827

• Members

Nice. Those will sell.

Not like a Firebird X, but they can move a few.
:lol:

EG

Yeah, and although this is not the price range within which this phrase is usually uttered here at HCEG, but at that price, they could make a decent platform for modding if someone had a pickup or bridge config in mind.

I have the VM and do like it a lot. I find the heavily chambered quality on mine (it's about 7 pounds) and the BB Pros makes it a bit more of a bluesy (slightly hollow body-ish) tone but the sustain is less without a denser body and hard maple top. Most of the time, that's no problem, just something to know if the buyer wants to play Peter Greene's/Gary More's "Supernatural" But I still like it, it's just different. I have a set of Seth Lovers at home with no home and I don't have a white LP - :idea:

But I actually want to hold out for a Fireburst LP :idk:

But speaking of -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5qGg5LQkGs

• Members

785499.jpg

My guess is that these are essentially the same as the Vintage Mahogany guitars, but with more work on the finishes (but only up to the "satin" level) and with 490/498 instead of BB Pros. But they are back to tossing in a hard shell case again (as the used to with the VMs)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Mahogany-Exclusive-Electric-Guitar?sku=H69827

Give the black one GOLD H/W and i might get one !

• Members
Yeah, and although this is not the price range within which this phrase is usually uttered here at HCEG, but at that price, they could make a decent platform for modding if someone had a pickup or bridge config in mind.

I have the VM and do like it a lot. I find the heavily chambered quality on mine (it's about 7 pounds) and the BB Pros makes it a bit more of a bluesy (slightly hollow body-ish) tone but the sustain is less without a denser body and hard maple top. Most of the time, that no problem, just something to know if the buyer wants to play Peter Greene's/Gary More's "Supernatural" But I still like it, it's just different.
I have a set of Seth Lovers at home with no home
and I don't have a white LP -
:idea:

But I actually want to hold out for a Fireburst LP
:idk:

Speaking of Seth Lovers....
utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDEwMTIwNS0wMD

:love:

EG

• Members

This. But like niceguy, I'm not a fan of the '50's neck.

• Members

But isn't the point of Gibson's Studio Series models is that they eschew cosmetics, or do they have overlap with other lines now?

Yes, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but they have had a few different levels with the Studios

Regular Studios

Then that one that was called something like a Faded Maple (Cap)

The Vintage Mahogany (rougher finish, all mahogany and BB Pro pickups instead of 490/498)

And now this Satin finish Mahogany.

In addition to those 4 there's also the GC/MF exclusive silverburst with coil split feature.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some other variations.

My first LP was actually an '83 Studio that was a Custom Shop Edition that had body and neck binding but also had dot inlay instead of crown.

As much as folks remember and repeat the concept of "les cosmetics" the other original concept of the Studio was a lighter Les Paul. Now a days, with all the chambering on other LPs as well, including the "Standard", that "lighter" aspect of the Studio is somewhat lost in distinction.

• Members

Yes, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but they have had a few different levels with the Studios

Regular Studios

Then that one that was called something like a Faded Maple (Cap)

The Vintage Mahogany (rougher finish, all mahogany and BB Pro pickups instead of 490/498)

And now this Satin finish Mahogany.

In addition to those 4 there's also the GC/MF exclusive silverburst with coil split feature.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some other variations.

My first LP was actually an '83 Studio that was a Custom Shop Edition that had body and neck binding but also had dot inlay instead of crown.

As much as folks remember and repeat the concept of "les cosmetics" the other original concept of the Studio was a lighter Les Paul. Now a days, with all the chambering on other LPs as well, including the "Standard", that "lighter" aspect of the Studio is somewhat lost in distinction.

I just received my now discontinued maple top studio faded. It is wonderful. Great guitar.

Archived