Would you use touchscreen monitors in the studio?

Phait

• Members

Now that I'm using two monitors I wouldn't mind if the second one was touch screen. It's on the second one where I'll generally have the mixer or display soft synth plug-ins and the like. The main screen, where I'll have the tracks, would probably be just fine as is.

• Members

I've been thinking that two screens, with (at least) one being touch, might work pretty well for DAW and non-linear video editor (NLVE) use.

(I would still need a keyboard, though. Typing on touch screens is not my thing. I grew up on physical keyboards and, Swype and other shortcut utilities not withstanding, a good, old-fashioned keyboard is the fastest/easiest way for me to input text info into a computer. Also, as a touch typist, I find that I have to keep looking at the virtual keypad, which completely messes me around, since I can't follow what I'm typing on the screen, as I would normally.)

That said, I find it much easier to get precise cursor placement with a mouse than via touch. Now, if you have a huge multi-touch monitor, then you can keep things big enough that the precision issue may not be so bad. And the ability to pinch-zoom would certainly be handy, as anyone with a touchscreen phone can probably attest.

I have to say that even though I'm a bit compulsive about keeping my hands clean and non-oily, I do find that touch screens seem to get funky pretty fast, so it might be important to have a surface that can be quickly and thoroughly cleaned without damage to the screen.

• Members

I'd only use one if it could be viewed horizontally or semi horizintally like a mixing console would be set up. Ergonomics is a big deal here. Holding an arm out using a touch screen vertically for long periods of time is way too fatiguing. The problem with most all touch screens is you have to view them straight on. My company uses them in nearly all of their products. Its the only way practical way they can cut down on button space by using a touch screen to access multiple software menus in a windows fashion. The cost of course has been coming down but the durability is still not super. Way better than the original ones, but they do fatigue from having menu buttons in the same place and wearing out the screens.

Maybe if they made a touch screen controler that also showed your finger as it moved would be a solution. This way the main monitor screen would see your finger/s move like a mouse pointer does. Then you would simply have a flat panel in front of you that would provide the hands on a touch screen does. It would be like running dual monitors with the same image except the touch panel would be more like a laptop finger pad. The finer position could be done through a field effect or grounded initial touch of the screen, and stronger pressure would cause the matrix to activate.

Archived