In terms of guitar playing, soul is defined as....

ILikeGuitar

• Members

"Hit me again Ike, and this time put some stank on it"

playing with soul is playing with confidence, feeling, and raw emotion that bleeds from your hands through the guitar. doesnt have to be a lot of notes; lots of times less is more if played correctly and with feeling.

• Members

The ability to express emotion through your playing. It is regardless of speed, but I think it's a lot harder to express that emotion while playing quickly as it requires a lot of concentration, and it's harder also to convey a feeling with a whole phrase of lots of notes than it is with fewer notes, with more space to breathe.

• Members

The third one. A good guitar player is a good guitar player. Joe Bonamassa can play with sould, but he's also one hell of a guitar player. There are a lot of people on here, and youtube, local clubs, etc who "play with soul", which is a convenient excuse for sucking. You're not going to go to Best Buy and say 'Hey, uh, Thad; give me the most soulful laptop you have. I don't care if it takes 3 minutes to load Google, I just want something that has soul, man!".

• Members

Basically number 1... Basically I consider playing with soul when you go well beyond just technically playing the notes properly. It doesn't have to be 'soul' music by any stretch. I've seen plenty of players of surf, metal, southen rock etc play technically 'right', but with no soul.

• Members

i think its way more easy to show what soul is in terms of guitar playing..

i will use Steely Dan and an example.. to play in the pocket and still be loose

and just groove.. thats a guitarist with soul.. there is also a emotional component,

[video=youtube;fY_FI9J1poQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_FI9J1poQ

[video=youtube;Ck1N1I-LzWc]

you can be a band with huge ability to play fast fancy licks and just blazing tech guitar

but with out soul.. with out groove... well im not going to want to hear it..

NO SOUL!!

[video=youtube;0jgrCKhxE1s]

its an opinion

• Members

Honestly, the way you worded the poll makes it worthless. There are infinite ways that people define having or playing with soul. You put one legit one as an option and then three throw-away ones... :facepalm:

You sound like you're just having a little rant about people saying they are just playing with sould when they just have no playing ability. But if you SERIOUSLY want to discuss the different meanings of playing with soul, you need to change your options :thu:

• Members

soul is in the ear of the listener for the most part. There is nothing tangible about it and it's pretty much just one's opinion.

Someone said that joe bonamassa plays with soul. Personally I think the guy sounds like what he is...a "child prodigy" suburban white kid who wouldn't know how to play real blues if his dog died and his wife left him and BB King smacked him in the side of the head with Lucille.

I think Jack White plays with gut anguishing soul with every note from his guitar. A lot of people probably think he's squelchy and weird sounding.

I like to think I'm a pretty good judge of choppin broccoli but in the end NO ONE is right or wrong. Some people dig some {censored} and others don't.

• Members

The ability to express emotion through your playing. It is regardless of speed, but I think it's a lot harder to express that emotion while playing quickly as it requires a lot of concentration, and it's harder also to convey a feeling with a whole phrase of lots of notes than it is with fewer notes, with more space to breathe.

Well said Totally agree.

Archived