What pickups should I get for my les paul!?

iivv145ceo

• Members

I have a les paul studio that I want to sound killer. I already swapped the electronics with an RS guitar works set. I want a set of pickups that are very diverse, because I play a wide variety of music (except metal). An important thing for me to have is a humbucker I can actually play clean rhythm on both pickups, which I don't have the luxury of doing now.

Right now I have the stock ceramic pickups in, and I know I want something with less output, so I can get a more clean and articulate sound both clean and dirty. And I'm not trying to capture anyone else's tone i.e bonamassa, johnson, page, or any other player. I want my own sound, which will happen naturally.

I play through a fender hot rod deville. I also dont want to spend over 200 or 250 on pickups. Thanks for any help.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right now, I have a set of Duncan Seth Lovers in one guitar and Gibson 57 Classics in another. I could happily live with either of those sets or the Duncan Antiquities or the Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 set (not the Pros, but the standard BBs) as my only set of humbuckers. For me, what really seals the deal is how the Seth Lovers sound clean on the bridge pickup. It can sound a bit biting, but not really as aggressive as the BB2, but when playing clean which I do most of the time, the Seth Lover bridge has a complexity and a fullness without ever sounding muddy that the 57s and the BBs don't quite have.

Honestly, if I could only own one HB guitar, I'd keep the 57 Classic in the neck and a Seth Lover in the bridge but again, I rarely play with much gain. Think well below AC/DC levels of gain.

• Moderators

Duncan Sh-4/Sh-2 combo

'Hotrodded Humbucker Set'

you just can't go wrong with that.

See for me this is probably the least inspiring combo Ive ever fitted in a LP, and two of mu customers agreed with me after buying this popular set, and have me fit them. The Seymour Duncan JB is possibly my least favourite humbucker ever, in its class, it can't touch the DiMarzio Super Distortion at cutting through a mix and then backing off to do decent cleans.

But for sweeeeeeeeeeeet sweet cleans, and beautiful complex tones the Seth Lover is so difficult to beat

• Members

See for me this is probably the least inspiring combo Ive ever fitted in a LP, and two of mu customers agreed with me after buying this popular set, and have me fit them. The Seymour Duncan JB is possibly my least favourite humbucker ever, in its class, it can't touch the DiMarzio Super Distortion at cutting through a mix and then backing off to do decent cleans.

But for sweeeeeeeeeeeet sweet cleans, and beautiful complex tones the Seth Lover is so difficult to beat

+1 or +3 or whatever... :lol:

• Members

based on my experiences with Les Pauls and at the price range you're looking at, i highly recommend the BurstBucker 1&2 combo or the 57 Classics. both are just great, toneful pickup models for the range of music you're looking at.

if you want a pair of Burstbuckers, PM me- i have a few pairs kicking around the parts drawer that i could give you a fair price on.

• Members

anything with alnico II's will sweeten your tone - also dial them lower than usual (screw them away from the strings) and that'll also help with the guitar being more diverse.

As far as brands - it all depends on your preference. I am not a fan of Gibson pickups as they tend to sound a bit weak compared to aftrer market like SD, Demarzio and even GFS.

• Members

... Right now I have the stock ceramic pickups in, and I know I want something with less output, so I can get a more clean and articulate sound both clean and dirty. And I'm not trying to capture anyone else's tone i.e bonamassa, johnson, page, or any other player. I want my own sound, which will happen naturally...

From what I believe, the pickups in a Les Paul Studio have Alnico 2 magnets in the neck position and Alnico 5 in the neck. On mine, which I used to play through a Blues Deluxe, it cleans up quite nicely by rolling back the volume controls - especially when blending both pickups - but it never cleans up as much as single coils.

Maybe you should look at push pull tone controls that you could use to switch the coils in whatever pickups you choose. By putting the two coils of a humbucking pickup in parallel instead of series you can get close to a single coil sound without loosing the humbucking feature.

• Members

From what I believe, the pickups in a Les Paul Studio have Alnico 2 magnets in the neck position and Alnico 5 in the neck. On mine, which I used to play through a Blues Deluxe, it cleans up quite nicely by rolling back the volume controls - especially when blending both pickups - but it never cleans up as much as single coils.

Maybe you should look at push pull tone controls that you could use to switch the coils in whatever pickups you choose. By putting the two coils of a humbucking pickup in parallel instead of series you can get close to a single coil sound without loosing the humbucking feature.

I think at the time I bought my studio they were using ceramic pickups but I could be wrong. All I know is the pickups have to go. Also, I really like humbuckers, and I have a strat for single coil tones, If I need them.

• Members

I had a Hot Rod Deluxe in my place for a while and it sounded great with a strat but muddy and even a bit ugly with the LP Studio. When I swapped it out for the Blues Deluxe, The Les Paul sounded a lot better and the strat, although nice and sparkly sounding, did not have enough output to really drive the Deluxe.

Maybe you could try your LP through a few different amps before you decide - some of the muddiness you don't like might be from the amp.

• Members

AFAIK, Studios have never come stock with ceramic pickups.

Before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing your pickups, lower the existing ones, and go to the MLP forum and read the thread on how to use the volume and tone controls on an LP. Especially since you've upgraded to the RS kit. You may find you don't need to swap out the pickups.

• Members

AFAIK, Studios have never come stock with ceramic pickups.

Before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing your pickups, lower the existing ones, and go to the MLP forum and read the thread on how to use the volume and tone controls on an LP. Especially since you've upgraded to the RS kit. You may find you don't need to swap out the pickups.

I've definitely have experimented with the controls endlessly, but I just don't like these pickups. I don't mind the expense, cause I'm a gear head. lol. I take any excuse for buying new stuff. lol. But On the serious side, I've changed pickup height and messed with these pickups to no end, and they dont deliver what I want. They are not crisp, and clean sounding.

Archived