NGD! 51!

chuck1016

• Members

Another guitar is the last thing I need right now, but two days ago I sold an amp for $100 and fully intended to put that money in the bank the next day. That night I checked CL and this popped up for $125. Retail math kicked in and I reasoned that since I just made $100, it would really only cost me $25! Now, how could I pass up a 51 (which I've wanted or a long time) for $25?! :lol:

I'm really surprised at how good it feels. Great neck (bare wood, one piece maple) - solid, hefty body - hardware's not too bad. It needs a little adjustment, but I think after a little tweaking this is going to be one hell of a player.

DSCF0984.jpg

• Members

That's cool. I liked them enough to buy three of them. 2 for me and one for the stepson. I need to dig mine back out and play it again. Seeing yours makes me miss mine a bit. If by rare chance you haven't discovered it yet, rolling off the volume a hair cuts some of the treble back and makes it less edgie sounding. :thu:

I first got myself a blonde

51SquierwGFS006.jpg

But later added the sunburst

51Squiers004.jpg

and here I was playing around with different pickguards, as in black or none. I thought a clear guard might look great with these.

Squier51Naked004.jpg

Squier51Naked001.jpg

• Members

Yeah, I do the rationalizing selling this to make that cheaper thing all the time. :lol:

I had three of the 51s. One was a great player. The other two were decent. I originally wanted to get a blonde/black one but locally I could only find blonde/white and sunburst. I bought one sunburst for $119, then got a blonde/white for the same price. Then I sold them both to the same guy. Then I missed it so I went and got another sunburst one, replaced the neck pickup with a 57/62 I got for cheap on eBay and it was probably my most played guitar over the better part of a year. And I sold if after the prices started going up and I sold the stock neck pickups separately for $30 plus shipping which is just silly considering I've bought single 57/62s and Tex Mex pickups for less than that.

HNGD!

HNGD98.jpg

I was just playing mine and I love the neck pickup. I don't roll back the volume to take the edge off and adjust my amp accordingly. I think it's one of the most organic sounding pups I've ever heard. There's an acoustic tone in there that is so pleasing to my ears.

• Members

I was just playing mine and I love the neck pickup. I don't roll back the volume to take the edge off and adjust my amp accordingly. I think it's one of the most organic sounding pups I've ever heard. There's an acoustic tone in there that is so pleasing to my ears.

Yea, I figured I'd have to swap out the pickups, but I'm happy with them.

Splitting the bridge sounds awful though. I'd rather use the push/pull for series/parallel. In fact I took it apart with that in mind, but it's an odd 3-wire lead. I scratched my head over it for a few minutes, then decided to just leave it alone :D

I'll just use the HB and forget about the split option.

• Members

I wasn't crazy about the sound of the bridge split on its own, but I thought the middle position when the bridge was split sounded pretty great.

:idk:

I know there are better pickups out there, but I was happy enough with the bridge pickup on it's own and when split with the pickup that I left it and I had other pickups laying around. I did almost put a Dream 180 in though.

I live on the neck position though and, while I thought the stocker was very decent, I think it has more to do with the pickup being mounted to the body than the actual pickup itself. Unless it got a couple extra doses of pixie dust, it's just a standard, super cheap neck single coil. The 57/62 sounded about 40 times better... which says a lot since the stock sounds so damn good.

:lol:

• Members

they were one of the great closeouts at MF. What was it, $99 new. I wish I had gotten one.

Yeah, they were at $99 for a while and eventually dropped to about $69, but I never saw any of the blonde/black ones at the lowest prices.

I got my second sunburst at a local shop for $75 or $80 because there was one ding in the middle of the back. They didn't even have it in the showroom. They had about three out front and I asked if I could check out any others they might have in stock. They brought out two more in boxes and the one that had the little ding. They said the price and I said 'SOLD!'

:lol:

Any decent playing, decent sounding guitar is worth well over $125. Those that bought them at $69 got an absolute steal!

Archived