PRS guys...need opinions on PICKUPS.

Johansolo

• Members

i now have 2 completely different PRS...and thinking bout changing pickups

twoPRSside.jpg

1994 standard 24 - mahagony body/neck with the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups

ive never been a fan of ceramic magnets...and the HFS...well...i dont think ill keep it for long. the vintage bass is ok...but id prefer something like a Paf pro/59 style pup (which i already have on another guitar) what after markets have you guys tried out in mahagony body PRS? i dont want another guitar with a JB.

i want something that isnt mega high output (i want to work the amp more) and can suit all styles.

1990 CE24 - alder body w/maple top/neck with Seymour Duncan Custom5/Jazz pickups.

for purely aesthtic reasons...i want nickel covers and to change back the pickup rings to beige..im happy to get some nickel covers and install them BUT i have an opportunity to trade for a set of Dragons (not sure Is or IIs...whatever comes in a CE22)

anyone tried Dragons in a 24 fret model? ie was there any reason they come stock in the 22 fret versions.

decisions decisions...any suggestions?

• Members

The Dragon I's are very highly regarded and sound great in a Cu or CE. They are hard to find though.

The Dragon II's are not all that great.

The new Custom 24's are loaded with PRS 59/09's which are PAF like. The Dimarzio 36th Anniversary would probably sound really good in your Standard 24.

• Members

the 57/08s are now readily available to me...theyre $400(AUD) a set new.

my guitar teacher bought 2 sets of them and i got to try them out in his 2 PRS CU22s last night.

they certainly are nice pickups! but im not to i would want to put them in my alder body PRS, more the mahogany...but i want to keep that one with the open coil look.

• Members

the main thing i dont like about stock pups is...with the HFS when the volume knob is on full its got too much sizzle/grainy charactertics in the top end and i dont like it for rhythms, but its nice for high gain leads.. with the volume backed off slightly

• Members

The early 90's HFS bridge mixed with the Vintage neck is a {censored}ing brilliant design, and hasn't been beaten yet. The magnet material they used for their HFS has since changed and hasn't been as good since, IMHO. They are designed to be run with the vol at 7/8. Add or subtract as needed, with NO high end loss, great split tone (or as good as you can get with an alnico in the neck) and tons of output....brilliant design.

• Members

I've got a DiMarzio 30th Anniversary in the neck of my PRS. I chose it because it had a brushed nickel cover that matched the 57/08 bridge pickup. (I love the 57/08 at the bridge, but not so much the neck so I swapped.)

It is a very good pickup.

Whichever direction you go, consider putting covered pickups on -- they look great on PRS.

• Members

The early 90's HFS bridge mixed with the Vintage neck is a {censored}ing brilliant design, and hasn't been beaten yet. The magnet material they used for their HFS has since changed and hasn't been as good since, IMHO. They are designed to be run with the vol at 7/8. Add or subtract as needed, with NO high end loss, great split tone (or as good as you can get with an alnico in the neck) and tons of output....brilliant design.

with the vol @7/8...i agree RE no high end loss adding or subtracting when the amp is on a GAIN channel. its great.

sadly on my amps clean channel the volume needs to be on full (unless i boost it with pedals)

anways...spent a LONG time tonight tweaking settings tonight and i think the HFS/VB will stay in the standard 24 for a bit longer...mainly because ive managed to find a compromise setting that sounds good with all four of my guitars (2xPRS, 1x Strat, 1 x LP) with the assistance of a Timmy and a Suhr Shiba drive.

• Members
the main thing i dont like about stock pups is...with the HFS when the volume knob is on full its got too much sizzle/grainy charactertics in the top end and i dont like it for rhythms, but its nice for high gain leads.. with the volume backed off slightly

• Members

I currently own PRS's with #7, HB pickups, Dragon IIs, and I owned a SAS with McCartys.

From what you're saying, you might like a set of McCarty's for the std- very middy, but nicely balanced pickups. I actually thought I nailed that smooth santana tone with them and TBH, they were probably my favorite pickups but I sold the guitar cause I didn't like the look of the natural wood (it wasn't cool enough
:facepalm:
:facepalm:) The dragon II's are VERY aggressive pickups and will not give you the smooth tones you're looking for. The #7 neck pickup is the best for jazzy cleans but I hate the bridge pickup. The HB pickups are very nice versatile pickups but they have a certain sound to them that you can't dial out so i would not recommend them for what you want.

I have no experience with aftermarket pickups like duncans and whatnot so I'm just commenting on the PRS pickups I know.

cheers for that. i still have the option of trading my duncans for the DragonIIs (for hte black CE24).

ive decided to keep the HFS/VB in the standard, after tweaking on my amp and pedals.

Archived