If you only had 1 year left, would you do anything different?

techristian

• Members

Living with advanced Stage IV cancer has been quite the wake-up call I assure you, but NEVER did I believe them when they told me how little time I "probably" had left. But regardless, it DID give me a sense of urgency about my life and what I was doing with it and caused me to confront the very real mortality that awaits all of us. But the reality is I could just as easily be killed by a drunk driver tomorrow. I am actually THANKFUL for the experiences as it has caused me to live a very richly rewarding life over the past 16 years. I have traveled extensively, I have spent a great amount of time in the company of family and friends. I have gotten busy with my music trying to leave some kind of legacy. And I have done most anything I wanted to do without hesitation because I can't believe in "waiting for that perfect time", or until I have enough money, or whatever excuses many use to delay their pleasures.

Thanks for sharing your story. It is amazing and inspiring. I think the biggest factor for myself is what you mentioned... waiting for the perfect time. It doesn`t exist, does it? Now is the perfect time, not some future or past event.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

....Living with advanced Stage IV cancer has been quite the wake-up call I assure you, but NEVER did I believe them when they told me how little time I "probably" had left. But regardless, it DID give me a sense of urgency about my life and what I was doing with it and caused me to confront the very real mortality that awaits all of us. But the reality is I could just as easily be killed by a drunk driver tomorrow. I am actually THANKFUL for the experiences as it has caused me to live a very richly rewarding life over the past 16 years. I have traveled extensively, I have spent a great amount of time in the company of family and friends. I have gotten busy with my music trying to leave some kind of legacy. And I have done most anything I wanted to do without hesitation because I can't believe in "waiting for that perfect time", or until I have enough money, or whatever excuses many use to delay their pleasures.

Each of us must choose what is most important to us but for ME, nothing has meant more than the time spent in the company of others, and being able to share my story of survival and triumph, fleeting as it may be. If any of you are interested in the details you can read the full story (with pics) here:
http://www.reactiveprojects.com/guru/cancer.html

It's great to see that someone could survive for this kind of "illness". I have recently (June 2011) been "chosen" to have a class IV case of brain cancer. Radiation treatment was completed on Aug 16. Chemo was done about a week ago. I get an MRI on Oct. 6. My earlier comments about selling the two properties were serious. I don't need the buildings and could do more with the cash from the projects, ending with about $800k after paying off everything. Portions of that should allow me to to do a half way decent studio job at the house. The studio will be built in what is now a 27'x17' patio area that has a solid roof and had screens that are going to be replaced with double pane sliding doors. Hopefully that will quiet the sounds from A1A in front of my house. The patio is on the back side of the house, so, much of the A1A sound won't be a big problem either way. So, do things change with health changes, yep, you bet, hopefully to the better and more interesting. My time will be better and more interesting, but who knows how long this will take place. Statistics are all over the place. Anyone want to buy some property in Vero Beach? ;) Both went on the market with a couple of agents about a month ago. We'll see what happens.

• Members

30 years ago, they told my aunt that she had 5 years left. My uncle was in the oil drilling business,and spent months away from home, so for that first 5 years after the bad news, he took her with him everywhere in a trailer. Now thirty years later, with a liver transplant and dialysis at the age of 86, she is still alive.......and he has been gone for 10 years.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It really amazes me how some people forget they are finite. While often an unpleasant thought (not always and not for everyone), remembering your death can provide an (IMHO) important perspective on how we live our life. However, when I see people thinking their 60 hour a week job (which they hate) or cleaning the toilet bowl every weekend will somehow improve their life, I wonder if they keep their finiteness in mind.... perhaps they do. Working in a hospital kind of forces me to look at finiteness and our overall health in general, on a daily basis. As a result, I cut back to part time work and hopefully will retire early. It has also motivated me to travel to many (I'll never get to all of them!!) places I want to see. Most importantly, I think it reminds me to treat people as though I may never see them again (which will happen one day,) and I think that has improved many of my relationships. There is nothing new in this post, just stating I am amazed how people overlook the fact that time is limited for us (well, in this form, in this life, etc. etc.)

• Moderators

I'd move into Walt's private apartment above the fire station on Main Street and party like a 10 year old. With my daughter. For a year. I'm 52 and she's 14. It'd be awesome. We'd eat caramel corn for breakfast, have clam chowder in sourdough bowls aboard the Mark Twain Riverboat for lunch. Dinner would most likely take place on Tom Sawyer Island in a secret tree house.

As the time for hospice arrived, I'd move into the Dentist's Office down Main Street. I'd have the Disney Doctors make me as comfortable as possible. I'd still be close to my daughter as she would only be half of Main Street away. Her friends would have full access to the park so she'd be in social heaven. She'd visit me everyday and bring me giant lollipops until the final day...

I'll be buried in the Mickey flower garden at main gate.

• Members

It's kind of an interesting question in terms of strategy, it's sort of like blitz chess where you know endgame is coming not just from your moves, but from the clock too

I'd probably hit up a financial advisor and see about restructuring things since I don't have to prepare for a future.

I could probably dump preventative care (no use flossing woo hoo!), and parts of my fitness program I find beneficial but boring.

• Members

Load my recording equipment in my car as it is in the current car picture on my website. Try to visit all 48 lower states and record one band in each state. Turn that CD into a series hit nationally. THAT is my actual plan for a few years if I sell the second house and commercial building that I have on the market here.

Archived