Today, a guy told me that people who buy more than one good guitar got no talent

Frets99

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are two different ways to look at a player with lots of guitars. The most common perception is the one stated by that dolt you met...buying lots of guitars in the hope that the next one will make you better. The second is buying lots of guitars because you're so good, with so many different styles and techniques in your repertoire, that you need a number of different guitars at your disposal in order to properly express them all.

Oh...and you have alot of disposable income as well...

Or, maybe it's just fun to have a lot of guitars? Because they look neato and sound cool? Doesn't take so much "disposable income" either, if their acquisition has been spread over the last 40 years.

I don't buy guitars thinking they will make me any better, that's stupid. I don't have a lot because I'm great and need them to express all the nuances of my multi-faceted genius, either. I have a lot of guitars because it's fun to have a lot of guitars.

That's it. Fun. No more, no less.

• Members

Of course as a sweeping generalization, what he said was pretty ridiculous. It can be disproved pretty easily right here amongst some of the regular posters, without even mentioning famous guitarists. I'm going to guess that Mr. One Good Guitar probably only owns one guitar. I'm also going to guess that he's never played outside of the house. All of the good guitarists I know (the ones that can prove their good by playing in public), own at least 2 so they have a back-up on stage. I'm sure there are good guitarists with only one guitar, but it's probably because they can only afford the one, or they never perform. The collecting of guitars is a hobby. Playing is a hobby for some, a passion for some, and a career for others.

But, I can get behind the theory that getting into collecting guitars early on in your development (spending too much time on ebay not enough on Mel Bay) can get in the way of the learning process, and thus inhibit you from ever realizing your potential talent. Probably much more common today then in years past.

• Members

what's funny is i'm not playing guitar on that, but an emmy winning songwriter/player is.

but thanks for listening!

Just listened to it myself to see what that other guy was talking about. Sounds like a fun band to go see and get some dancing in.

Anyways. IMO people can see guitars however they want. Some see them as tools, some as art, some in between. Any of these views can lead to either an "own one" or "own many" mindset. Life is too short to get butthurt by someone with a differing opinion on something so utterly unimportant.

Then again, I might be an idiot.:idk:

• Members

But low end doesn't mean ungood. I've bought nothing but great guitars. Few of which cost a lot.

Good point, which opens another can of worms.

If a "good" guitar is defined by being American-made or otherwise expensive, what if you buy used "good" guitars for less than what you would have paid for a new MIM strat or Epi LP??

• Members

funny how the photos posted show dudes with pretty much the same guitars (all of whom are rich rockstars) but the overwhelming argument is for different "tones."

gimme a {censored}in break. unless you're in some crappy cover band, you only need your own "tone." and if you're in some crappy cover band ... well, god help you. that must be incredibly boring.

808eb8b0-1.jpg

• Members

Anyone who'd be offended by the guy's remark would seem to lack confidence in his playing ability.

If he said it to me, I'd agree and we'd hack on all the guitar-owners who never gig. This forum is full of guitar-owners. There might be a few who can actually play, but most just like to buy guitars and take pictures of them propped up against their couch. That's cool. I come here to look at pictures of guitars propped up on couches.

Even though in my non-materialistic heart I agree with the guy, the truth is that the 2 best guitar players I know currently either own a basement full of collectables or have a different guitar every time I see them because they wheel and deal. I have a bunch of them myself, but wouldn't consider it a lot if I were talking to the guy in the first post. Guys get good at guitar because they are interested in them. I can see why people would buy things their interested in.

So, the reaction to the guy's comment says more about how {censored}ty a guitar player you are than the number of guitars you have.

• Members

Today, a guy told me that people who buy more than one good guitar got no talent and hope the new guitars will make them play better.
:eek:

I would have punched him right in the beezer with my talentless hands
:mad:
.... but I had a Musicians Friend catalog in em at the time....
:o

People like that are just haters. You should have looked on him with pity and said, "Oh, I'm so sorry that you can only afford to have one good guitar, you really should at least have a backup."

Archived